Buffer and salt mix?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trnewsom

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was having some low Ph problems and had been putting some buffer in my top off water. Today I put some in my water change water and when I added my salt mix, it turned cloudy. Should I not use it?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Did it eventually clear?
How long?
What buff did you use?
I have seen cloudy water when I 'mass dose' tanks...:hide:

have you done a cycle yet if not don't worry about a buffer ,
once you get through a cycle your ph should rise any type of additives can cause many unnecessary issues in a new tank

This is an established tank (7yrs). The water is not in the tank but in the trash can I use for mixing. I just don't want to kill my fish if I use it. Buffer was Alkalin8.3-P KH Buffer.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1442627463.810015.jpg.

why do you think you need a buffer , how low is your ph

give us your tank states all your parameters , buffers are not always the answer

Adding stuff before knowing what is causing the issue isn't the kind of fix you want as it can lead to further issues

My Ph was under 7. According to my fish guy who services a couple other tanks in this area, it is our water. They recommended adding buffer to my top off water. My tank is now a little above 8 so I decided to check my change water to avoid a sudden drop. It was about 7.5 so I decided to put some buffer in it before I used it. It clouded up and there is a white film on everything in the can. I don't know whether to discard it or if it's safe to use. I hate to discard 30 gallons of water if I don't need to.

Ph in all the water I mix is low all the time once I add it to the tank the air gas exchange levels it out , I run a steady 8.4 adding 10% of new water brings it down just a tad to around 8.3 letting it run in the tank 24 hrs you will see your ph rise back to it's normal levels , no reason to stress out over a discrepancy in ph levels , If I stressed out over every little thing in my tank I would have made it crash by now , as long as you have good air gas exchange on the surface you are set ,
if you ever read back on a lot of the older threads you will see how many have started dosing all types of additives than wondered why there was so many issues ,
the ocean isn't dosed why should your tank that's how I look at it ,
we all see changes in ph levels at water change 10% isn't going to change things much
running in the tank will help it level out it just takes time
you don't want to add fuel to a fire so why add fuel to your tank

Back
Top Bottom