Build: 50Gal FOWLR (Planned)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

-=Jeff=-

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I started this in December and was updating a DIY thread but thought it might be useful here too.

Here are some pictures:

JAN:

IMG_20150104_214403390.jpg

IMG_20150106_173832515.jpg

FEB:
IMG_20150127_162925667.jpg

IMG_20150127_164625869.jpg

March:
IMG_20150327_195919890.jpg

IMG_20150327_195910653.jpg

OKAY,

Before anyone asks..
-Yes that is a HOB Skimmer..
-Yes I know I could have gotten an in-sump skimmer

BUT,

Original plans were to use the skimmer as a HOB with a Canister.. so I bought he HOB Skimmer.. then ended up getting the 20gal tank for a sump.

Since the HOB was a special order, no returns (from the LFS) so I am going to try this out and see if it works.. I have adjusted the outlet to compensate for the drop to water (needs testing)

Planning on putting the heater in the sump tank.

The float you see will be connected to my Arduino Uno. The Uno will control power to the Skimmer and Return pump. I have the return pump code done.. just need to wire up the hardware.. Basically when power is applied the return pump will run, if the float opens the return pump shuts off. If the float closes the pump will not run unless power is cycled OR I press a pump reset button to start the pump. That reset will also shut the pump off if I so choose.

I have not decided how I will control the Skimmer yet, I also need a power head, that will also go on the Arduino but that might just run all the time.. I painted all the PVC in Feb, been curing/waiting ever since so now I am at a point where I need to add water and finish the Arduino code and hardware.

I will be gone for 1.5 weeks in June so I am debating on waiting until i get back before buying water and getting the cycling going then. I have thought of running water until then and then shutting pumps off (precautionary) while gone, but the LFS suggested that might not be the best idea..

Anyway this is a VERY slow process for me but looking forward to getting it all set

My son currently has a 10g Salt and this is mine and my daughter's.. The LFS had her make a list of potential fish for stocking and she had a Lionfish listed as one jokingly, but the LFS guy caught it and said it would not work.. LOL

BTW my Daughter is 9

Back
Top Bottom