Build your own on e-tropicals.com

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joshsmit56001

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was looking at the BYO package on e-tropicals.com and I was wondering what all i should go with. this is what I was thinking:

15 bumblebee snails
20 astrea snails
3 peppermint shrimp
1 serpent sea star
2 emerald crabs
10 nassarious snails

i have a 30 gallon tank right now.

i have heard bad stuff about hermit crabs so I was not sure if I should go with them. i am open to suggestions. any help would be great.

thanks,
Josh

thats 45 snails and that seems like a lot. If i were you id just go with the nassarius and astrea, that way you have you sandbed and lr covered. The rest sounds ok. And yes, hermits are known to kill snails.

I'd agree with Kevin. Trochus, though somewhat more pricey, are much harder workers, and are able to "right" themselves if tipped onto their backs. Astreas cannot.

I'd actually look for more of a "mix" - smaller numbers of each, but trochus, margarita, nerite, cerith, nassarius ... etec.

I also would not do the Emerald Crabs unless you have a Valonia (bubble algae) problem.

I'd consider 2 Peppermints, and possibly 2 Cleaners.

Also, fwiw, check out ReefTopia.com. I've always found good prices there, and have had very good experiences with them.

HTH,

Back
Top Bottom