Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-30-2004, 07:30 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Building a Fuge, seeking lighting recommendations

Hello forum!

I've decided to take the plunge and add a fuge to my big SW tank. I'm not a fan of the HOB type, because I think that would just be too much weight hanging on glass, so I'm building my own. This will sit off to the side and slightly above the main tank. I will pump water from the main sump into the far end of the fuge, and it will overflow into a standpipe where gravity will return it to the sump.

I've ordered a custom 20H acrylic tank with a special hole drilled in the side (for the gravity return), and am now piecing together the rest of the equipment. The only thing I'm having trouble deciding on is the lighting. All I've ever used for tank lighting is standard fluorescents, so I'm deficient in this area. The fuge will be 24" long so I can find a stand and other parts without having to special-order everything. I will add LR and LS to the basic setup.

My INTENT is to have pods, snails, peppermint shrimp, and other detritivores in the fuge (for reducing nitrate and phosphates), plus I'd like to grow some Caulerpa algae, Sea Grass and other beneficial plants (to help feed the herbivores). Since I'm not going to have corals, I probably don't need VHO or MH lighting, so I was wondering if regular HO/CF was sufficient for what I'm going to use the fuge for.

There are too many types of fixtures out there to choose from, and some of it I don't understand (like "Daylight", "Super Daylight", "50/50", "Dual-Actinic", "Aquarium spectrum", etc.). I know "actinic" is the blue-shaded bulbs, but what about the rest of it? Is all this really that important if I don't have coral in the tank? HO/CF should be good for the plants, but will that much light make it hard on the inverts I'm choosing? Anybody care to recommend a specific manufacturer or model?

TIA,
--Aquabear

FW1-16g, 5 Zebra danios, 4 Pristella Tetras, 4 Black Skirt Tetras, 2 Gold Barbs, 1 Brush-nose Pleco
FW2-5g, 1 Baby Gold Marble Angel (raised from fry), 6 Zebra Danios
SW1-75g, (80# LR), Scarlett hermits, Turbo snails, Percula Clownfish (Gizmo), Oscellaris Clownfish (Whizzer), Indian Yellowtail Angelfish (Mikado), Royal Gramma (Orpheus), Black Sailfin Blenny (Casper), Yellow Tang (Pele), Racoon Butterflyfish (Raptor), Lyretail Anthia (Juliette)
FW3-30g, 2 mated Gold Marble Angels (Oscar/Yenta)
SW2-20g, QT, currently empty
FW4-30g, currently empty
FW5-20g, 2 Gold Angels (non-paired)
SW3-35g (REFUGIUM for SW1) - EVIL ChocChipStar, Nassarius and Turbo snails
SW4-55g, 4 BlueGreen Chromis, King's Crown snail.
AquaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 07:55 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to jaiden
For a fuge, you don't want regular SW lights. There's a home depot floodlight which I've heard is PERFECT.

you'll have to search around to find it, but there is a thread here or on reefcentral about it with pics of the packaging.

Red tiger lilly, Rotala Indica, Sagittaria Subulata, Micro Sword, Cardinal Plant
Fluorite Black sand and gravel
jaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 08:08 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

From what Ive read sea grass needs alot of light to grow so Id say thats out of the picture. But maybe a flood light would give enough but I dought it. For any other macro algea a flood light would be more then enough light
Old 11-30-2004, 08:19 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

If your fuge is going to be above you main tank I would have the fuge drain into the main tank. This is the preferred method, there is no chance of pods getting killed in the return pump if drained into the tank.
In a 20H I would go with a 55 or 65 watt PC light. I had a 65 watt PC light on my 15H for over a year with great caluerpa growth then about 4 months ago it died so I put on a 20 watt NO light. It has kept the caluerpa alive but it has slowed its growing and the lower layer is dying off. I am in the process of ordering a new PC light.
I would go with a blade caluerpa or fern, mexicana or cheato stay away from grape.
I would not go crazy with a DSB either in a small tank it will not do much.
I had the Lights of america from HD and it sucked.... Spend a few bucks for a decent light it will pay off in the end.
I found this place on the net with $30 65 watt PC light that Im going to try out.

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 10:43 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to brndfrb
Don't go for the flood light. Sumphead and i both did that and it is not worth the trouble you are going to have with cyano. I know it sounds funny but both of us experienced large cyano blooms after installing the flood light for a fuge light.
Old 11-30-2004, 11:19 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

That is kind of funny. I used a grow bulb like sumphead did on his 72 and I had a bad cyano problem. I ended up switching to a 6500k mogul socket PC lamp. My cyano went away but I associated it with the DI filter change.

Could be related though ....
Old 12-01-2004, 12:18 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to sumphead
I think it is realted to the incandecent light of the flood. The color was fine, but the light spectrum was bad. Definately no flood lights.

R
Old 12-01-2004, 08:15 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to jaiden
Right. the flood I'm talking about is not a regular incandescent flood.

Lucky you (and me), I saved the bookmark on my home computer:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...hreadid=313318

I know only what I've read in that thread

Red tiger lilly, Rotala Indica, Sagittaria Subulata, Micro Sword, Cardinal Plant
Fluorite Black sand and gravel
jaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 08:24 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to sumphead
Absolutely! That is a Compact Flourencent flood lamp and should work well. Ant PC light is good. Good luck.
Old 12-03-2004, 01:05 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Cool...I went with a brand name I recognized...Coralife. It comes with a 65W 5050 bulb, but that should be plenty strong enough for my purposes.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I'll get a picture out here after it's up and running.

--Aquabear

FW1-16g, 5 Zebra danios, 4 Pristella Tetras, 4 Black Skirt Tetras, 2 Gold Barbs, 1 Brush-nose Pleco
FW2-5g, 1 Baby Gold Marble Angel (raised from fry), 6 Zebra Danios
SW1-75g, (80# LR), Scarlett hermits, Turbo snails, Percula Clownfish (Gizmo), Oscellaris Clownfish (Whizzer), Indian Yellowtail Angelfish (Mikado), Royal Gramma (Orpheus), Black Sailfin Blenny (Casper), Yellow Tang (Pele), Racoon Butterflyfish (Raptor), Lyretail Anthia (Juliette)
FW3-30g, 2 mated Gold Marble Angels (Oscar/Yenta)
SW2-20g, QT, currently empty
FW4-30g, currently empty
FW5-20g, 2 Gold Angels (non-paired)
SW3-35g (REFUGIUM for SW1) - EVIL ChocChipStar, Nassarius and Turbo snails
SW4-55g, 4 BlueGreen Chromis, King's Crown snail.
AquaBear is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
build, building, light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com