Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-19-2012, 03:24 PM   #1
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Building a new sump

Ok, I want to get rolling on my new DIY project. I'm thinking about a 20 gallon long for the sump. My mother does stained glass, so she has a glass supplier. Do you think that some of the glass sheets from there would work as baffles or would it be too thin? I haven't really started the investigation on that part yet. Hard enough to get a cheap tank up here.

My plans for in the sump are as follows:
  • Recreation of my refugium
  • housing my protein skimmer, heater, uv sterilizer, and anything else i can think of tossing in that I might not need
  • DIY algae scrubber - the next DIY project. Since reading about them I have to have one now
  • Pump for my dual reactor to remove the reason my plumbing lost siphon (T-off)
Think there will be enough room in a 20 long for all this? I'll be honest, it is alot of stuff and probably overkill at this point, but after ordering my JBJ ATO today this project needs to get off the ground.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 03:37 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The baffles dont hold much weigh so the don't need to be that thick. What size tank is his sump for? I have a 20 long and will upgrade to a longer for the extra space. I'd say to set up a dry version to make sure everything is going to fit.

Old 05-19-2012, 03:38 PM   #3
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

55 gallon dt.
Old 05-19-2012, 03:44 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

That's a good size volume wise. Do you have all the equipment to do a trial setup. Also with the algae scrubber, are you going to use the overflow or a second pump?
Old 05-21-2012, 10:20 PM   #5
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Ok, it seems to be impossible to get a 20 long in the middle of western pa. If I can't stumble upon one in Petco or walmart, then I'll prob have to settle for a reg sized one.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:35 PM   #6
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Found a 20 long and started drawing up how i want things. Fuge will be in the middle. My only unsure piece is the algae scrubber. Considering running it off of the return from my dual reactor...but that might not cause enough nutrients for the algae making that useless. I also need to find the lighting for this scrubber. I want to enclose the system in maybe blackened out acrylic or something...i know how to get the scrubber going just not prevent my living room glowing between the scrubber light and fuge light.

Im looking at making the 3 sections as close to 10 inches as possible. Having exact measurements is impossible as im in a meeting and work basically til 3pm tomorrow. When i get home ill be measuring to see if i can i can get this system in my stand. If i can forget making some of the complicated stuff to hide lighting. Going to require modification either way, the biggest issue would be getting the tank in there as the doors are so small.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:10 PM   #7
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

My plans.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:36 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

IMO using the reactor and the scrubber is like beating a dead horse lol. I think once your scrubber is established the reactor isn't going to be doing much if it does anything at all except just another piece of equipment to maintain. Within about 3 weeks of my scrubber install I went from 80 nitrates to in between 5 and 10. They are very efficient .you also won't be able to keep macro algae alive in your fuge with a scrubber so it isn't needed
^ Quoted from Porc Chop^
Hondatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:33 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Wouldn't the scrubber also replace the skimmer? You could forgo the reactors and the skimmer and just use the pump to provide water for the scrubber i think. Thus needing less room. I'm no expert on scrubbers though.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:36 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Most people who have scrubbers don't have skimmers. I'm using mine still because my tank is a predator fish tank. They do 2 different things though. Skimmer removed dissolved organics before they turn into nitrate and scrubber just soaks up nitrate after the fact. If my skimmer ever should stop producing i plan to remove it.

^ Quoted from Porc Chop^
Hondatek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
build, building, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com