Building a Sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

20vturbo

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok I want to make 2 sumps out of two extra tanks I have. I have a 95 gallon and a 40ish gallon that I want to use the sumps on. I have a 40, 20, and 10 gallon to make the sumps out of. I was wondering if I could add to the sump as time goes on because I need to get skimmers for both tanks ASAP (really high nitrates) and I don't have enough money to put together all the components of the sump now. Can I something like this and just have that in the "sump" until I can afford to get the rest of the items? does anyone have any suggestions on the best skimmers?

Original post

Yeah I saw those threads but I still wasn't sure what all I was supposed to put in the skimmer and sump. I wanted to make the sump sometime in the future so I wanted to buy an "in sump" skimmer so that I wouldn't have to buy one later.

Can anyone explain how these type of skimmers work? I assume at minimum I will need a pump and a skimmer in the tank to start with? Do any chemicals go in the skimmer?

Thanks in advance!

This is not my setup...I don't have anything except the tank yet. I was thinking of the skimmer above but dont really know what makes a "good" skimmer.
img_763502_0_33537d9098412f1793fdf3626f378399.jpg

Protein skimmers work by passing a large stream of small bubbles through a column of aquarium water. Many different substances (proteins) will adhere to the surface of the bubbles and be removed from the water in the foam that bubbles from the top.

No chemicals are added to skimmer and some chemicals like slimecoat enhancers will keep a skimmer from working.

Hey thanks! All of that plumbing is what is so confusing for me! Is there somewhere that describes what I would need for just the skimmer and pump until I can get a fuge?

Well you could do something similar to what I did and just use the 20 as a sump with skimmer in it until you decide to add a fuge.

Can "used" items be any good? or should I just stick with new?

"Aqua C EV-200 protien skimmer w/ Mag 12 pump -- This is the older model before the all new EV series that has the air valve and John Guest fitting. This skimmer does not have that. The skimmer has two spray injectors and two air openings. I use it with only one spray injector. It is more effiecent this way. It works extremely well. The skimmer is 24 inches tall. The mag 12 is about two years old and works great. Asking $280"

lol There seems to be a few around here I've noticed?

72306722_l.jpg

old pics
golf4.jpg

golf1.jpg

Gti3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom