Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-29-2005, 12:52 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

building a sump for a non ReefReady tank

I purchased a 90 aga tank about 2 months ago, I should have paid a few more $$$ for a reef ready model...but I didnt so here I am. I have a 50 acrylic tank that Im converting into a sump. I have a general idea of what the actual sump will look like the part that I need help is the overflow. does anyone use the CPR HOB overflow. Does it work pretty good? anyone have a DYI overflow that does not require drilling a hole on the main tank? any suggestions would help. TIA

Old 03-29-2005, 01:49 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

anyone know of a link or thread that explains how a j tube style overflow works?

Old 03-29-2005, 09:10 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
CPR overflows are not exactly classified as J tube tyles but more or less a C shell style. This is because the chamber that water passes up and over the lip of the tank runs the entire lenght of the overflow vs a U tube or J tube style that has independant 1" tubes.

Water enters one side of the oveflow (the side in the tank) and via syphon action goes up and over the tank side to a second chamber. This chamber has a wall that is often only 1/2 the height of the chamber's other 3 walls. Water then cascades over this shorter wall into another chamber that has a drain fitting that allows the water to drain into the sump.

Since water will naturally try to equilize its level the outside chamber is usually little lower in water level than the main tank. If the U tube remains free of air water will flow up and over the side to try to rase the outside chambers water level but since the shorter wall never allows the water levels to equlize then the overflow runs consistantly untail the pump putting water into the tank stops.

I would check out the DIY forum here for info on how to build your own overflow. You can also check out http://www.lifereef.com for quality U tube overflows.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 09:47 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Check the attached link. It is general info on sumps but I am including it for the animated illustration. It shows how an overflow box performs. I hope it helps.

http://www.melevsreef.com/what_sump.html

28gal bowfront
40lbs livesand(bag from LFS), 30lbs live rock(LR.com)
2 O. Clowns
1 peppermint shrimp, 5 red leg hermit crabs,
4 mexican turbo snails, 15 nassarius snails
ricordea mushroom, candy cane coral,
super color polyps, hairy mushrooms
bubble coral, hawiian feather duster
coralife lunar 2x65, HOT magnum canister
10 Gal refugium(chaeto) & seaclone skimmer
RMPD109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 11:48 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to tinman
I did one for a non drilled tank but it looks drilled. The plans are here

http://www.guarriello.net/overflow.htm

works very well if you follow the design it will not loose suction. I drained the tank and it didn't loose suction.

I have pics in this thread.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=47779

edit
Old 03-30-2005, 01:16 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks everyone for the replies. I have general understading now of how an overflow works , now comes the hard part. will be buying parts tommorow

Tags
build, building, reef, sump, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com