Building a sump tank vs buying one!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

match55

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I m deciding which to do, the LFS sump tanks r expensive.
they r trying to get a quote from some company since the weird dimension I have for my sump. (custom build will probably more expensive, right?)

the dimension I have is L18 W16 H16~
anyone have suggestion for me??
like where to get acrylic and how thick the board should be?
the buffle size (H, and how far should it be?)

here is a top view sketch for my sump.
img_1018368_0_009f0850dca354a3559db136ebebfc2a.jpg

as suggested by other fellow members in my other thread, I will use eshopps 300 overflow, and probably via aqua 1800 as returen bump.

btw if anyone live close to pleasanton/dublin in bay area and know how to build one, I would love to meet with u and get some help from u. (I will pay if u want!)

You could pretty easily make a DIY Glass/acrylic sump. All you really need to get is some glass about 1/4" to 3/8" thick and a tube of silicone. If you can get 3/8" acrylic and Weld-on #4 Solvent Cement, you could build the tank that way. You should make a bubble trap after the skimmer compartment. The baffle height will depend on how high you want the water level. Half height would mean about 6" for baffles. The bubble trap would work with a 6" baffle 1-2" about the bottom, sandwitched between 2 other pieces 6" touching bottom 1" away.

the problem is I never work with any of this before, well kind of, but not like this size OoO.
blue line is the bubble trap, don't really know how should I make it.
so I just make a box around where the skimmed water come out? so the bubble stay in that box and the water go through under the box?

I will try my best to do it myself, I am so excited, but yet so scare to mess up XD

img_1018396_0_96195d5ce0d620e7c05f2cb13cbd9fd3.jpg

at 18" tall as long as your acrylic is more than a 1/4" thick you will be fine. I also advise the use of weld on#4, as AMD said. It isnt a glue it actually binds the plastic particles to make a solid seal

alrite, thank you guys, I think I will get 3/8" thick just incase, the H is gonna be 16in.
I m trying to figure out how tall should the baffles and the bubble trap be.
oh and should the return area be bigger, I am thinking about 8" by 11"
skimmer area 11" by 11", and the refugium 19" by 8"

more suggestions will be great.
Thanks

since the acrylic sheets are way too expensice than I thought...I gave up on them (even tho I just buy the sheets and build it myself, its like $250 from tap plastic)
I went to pet smart and get a 20gal glass tank, and gonna buy some glass pieces from home depot tmr.
you guys think 20gal is good for a 46gal main tank, I try to get a 29gal, but its too high for me to work with after I add water and other stuff, so I went for 20.

I have a 10G on my 40Gallon so 20 is great. Get a good glasscutting kit from home depot as well. I used i think 3/8 inch glass. Get some aquarium safe silicone and put them up.

I have a 10G on my 40Gallon so 20 is great. Get a good glasscutting kit from home depot as well. I used i think 3/8 inch glass. Get some aquarium safe silicone and put them up.

rolf, I went to home depot today and they don't sell glass!!! I was like wooo, I got crazy and told my girl friend I m gonna buy wood as a divider LOL

I already have silicone, now all i need its some glass

do u remember how much u got your cutting kit for, and which section u found it?

I maybe end up using glass tank and acrylic divider OoO, any kind of glue and glue them together, I know silicone won't work on acrylic, will weld on work for glass OoO?

no, weld on isnt for glass. At home depot if you go to the door section there is a shelf with replacement windows for doors, they are 1/8" thick and come in widths of 8", 10", 12" they work perfectly for my sump, no cutting neccesary

I looked into all of this too. The $250 price for 8' x 4' acrylic sheet sounds about right. I got the same price from a local dealer who was supposed to be "hooking me up"! As far as I was told, weld-on will not work on glass, cause it actually melts the acrylic together. But, I was also told that silicone WILL work on acrylic and glass (I know this goes without saying, but make sure it is aquarium safe silicone). You should also check around to see if there are any glass shops in your area. Take a look in the phone book cause most of them will have scrap pieces that they'll sell for cheap. They may even cut the scrap for you.

thanks guys, I m looking right now.

to jessica, won't 1/8 too thin? I m thinking 1/4, but if I can't find it, I will go home depot again XP

Ah sorry, i used 3/32" glass for my baffles. It works perfectly fine. Except it leaks. The glass cutting kit should be under 10 dollars and if you score it right get a perfect cut.

I went to one of my local glass store, they don't have 1/4 or 1/8, but they have something call double strenght, its 0.19 thick, I think is pretty good, in between 1/4 and 1/8, and its $17.99 for a 24" by 30", and I just need one to cut all that pieces I need. too bad they don't polish the edges for me, so I have to do it myself now XD

You sure you cant find it at lowes or home depot. I paid $3 a piece for my baffles 12"x16"x1/8". Just trying to help you save a buck

I have a 45gal DT with a 20L Sump/Fuge.. It's perfect sizing IMO

I just took the 20g tank down to my local glass shop, told him what I needed and he Cut and polished the piece for me. I know I probably could have saved $$$ doing it myself, but it was worth having a pro do it. I think I was in his shop for a total of 30minutes and it cost me $14 a piece. Since I only have 1 Baffle, Total cost was $14 :)

The Piece he cut was such a perfect fit that it was so simple to silicone. I just put a dab of superglue on each side to keep the glass from moving then put my Silicone on. Next day, water tested and all was good.

Good idea going DIY though as those LFS sumps are crazy expensive. They do look nice under the tank though

thanks for all the info guys, to jess the home depot near where I live don't have any repair glass(don't know if they lie to me or what?), my stand size is weird, so my sump is putting size way and my design need a couple more divide. I have happy with what I now since its much cheaper than buying from fish store, a basic one in my LFS w/o overflow and return bump=$299, cpr overflow$ 110, mug drive return $74........
I made mine and only used $150 so far, and got all the pumps.....rolf~~

I finished polish my glass, time to take a rest and glue them in tmr. XD
I will put some pic up later on.

Once again THANK YOU ALL THE HELP!!!!!
YOU GUYS ROCK!!!

Back
Top Bottom