Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-16-2009, 08:50 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to match55 Send a message via MSN to match55 Send a message via Yahoo to match55
Building a sump tank vs buying one!!!

I m deciding which to do, the LFS sump tanks r expensive.
they r trying to get a quote from some company since the weird dimension I have for my sump. (custom build will probably more expensive, right?)

the dimension I have is L18 W16 H16~
anyone have suggestion for me??
like where to get acrylic and how thick the board should be?
the buffle size (H, and how far should it be?)

here is a top view sketch for my sump.

as suggested by other fellow members in my other thread, I will use eshopps 300 overflow, and probably via aqua 1800 as returen bump.

btw if anyone live close to pleasanton/dublin in bay area and know how to build one, I would love to meet with u and get some help from u. (I will pay if u want!)

Old 08-16-2009, 09:46 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You could pretty easily make a DIY Glass/acrylic sump. All you really need to get is some glass about 1/4" to 3/8" thick and a tube of silicone. If you can get 3/8" acrylic and Weld-on #4 Solvent Cement, you could build the tank that way. You should make a bubble trap after the skimmer compartment. The baffle height will depend on how high you want the water level. Half height would mean about 6" for baffles. The bubble trap would work with a 6" baffle 1-2" about the bottom, sandwitched between 2 other pieces 6" touching bottom 1" away.

Old 08-16-2009, 10:18 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to match55 Send a message via MSN to match55 Send a message via Yahoo to match55
the problem is I never work with any of this before, well kind of, but not like this size OoO.
blue line is the bubble trap, don't really know how should I make it.
so I just make a box around where the skimmed water come out? so the bubble stay in that box and the water go through under the box?

I will try my best to do it myself, I am so excited, but yet so scare to mess up XD

Old 08-16-2009, 10:43 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I found a local plastic store, they have so many different acrylic sheet. which one should I use.
Old 08-17-2009, 02:24 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

anyone have more suggestions?
Old 08-17-2009, 03:03 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

at 18" tall as long as your acrylic is more than a 1/4" thick you will be fine. I also advise the use of weld on#4, as AMD said. It isnt a glue it actually binds the plastic particles to make a solid seal
Old 08-17-2009, 04:50 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

alrite, thank you guys, I think I will get 3/8" thick just incase, the H is gonna be 16in.
I m trying to figure out how tall should the baffles and the bubble trap be.
oh and should the return area be bigger, I am thinking about 8" by 11"
skimmer area 11" by 11", and the refugium 19" by 8"

more suggestions will be great.
Thanks
Old 08-18-2009, 01:11 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

since the acrylic sheets are way too expensice than I thought...I gave up on them (even tho I just buy the sheets and build it myself, its like $250 from tap plastic)
I went to pet smart and get a 20gal glass tank, and gonna buy some glass pieces from home depot tmr.
you guys think 20gal is good for a 46gal main tank, I try to get a 29gal, but its too high for me to work with after I add water and other stuff, so I went for 20.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:23 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have a 10G on my 40Gallon so 20 is great. Get a good glasscutting kit from home depot as well. I used i think 3/8 inch glass. Get some aquarium safe silicone and put them up.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:56 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDPhenomX4 View Post
I have a 10G on my 40Gallon so 20 is great. Get a good glasscutting kit from home depot as well. I used i think 3/8 inch glass. Get some aquarium safe silicone and put them up.
rolf, I went to home depot today and they don't sell glass!!! I was like wooo, I got crazy and told my girl friend I m gonna buy wood as a divider LOL

I already have silicone, now all i need its some glass

do u remember how much u got your cutting kit for, and which section u found it?

I maybe end up using glass tank and acrylic divider OoO, any kind of glue and glue them together, I know silicone won't work on acrylic, will weld on work for glass OoO?

Tags
build, building, sump, sump tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com