Building to code?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dr. Dai Phan

Aquarium Advice Freak
Yo all,

I have a canopy that I am concerned about possible "accident" ever since I got it. You can see the picture on my other post. The front panel lifts up and it is very heavy (about 3/4 inch thick). If that panel swings down it will likely cause the glass to crack or break God forbids! I can see how it can happen if a person is careless or in a household with young children who like to put hands on things. I wonder if the designer think of this when he designed the canopy? I thought my canopy design is an accident waiting to happen. Any thoughts? DP

I got some thoughts but Ill exercise my right to freedom of speech and say it not type it.

You could attach a regulator like the old VW bugs engine compartment and that way it would be locked in the open or closed position. Or a telescoping type of opener.

go get a locking hinge, thats all you need.

home depot has em, they act very similar to a table with folding legs.

Can you tell what type of hinges you have on the canopy? Some hinge manufactures make attachments for their hinges that are called soft closers. Its basically a hydrolic piston that attaches to your hinge and stops doors from slamming shut.

Can you tell what type of hinges you have on the canopy? Some hinge manufactures make attachments for their hinges that are called soft closers. Its basically a hydrolic piston that attaches to your hinge and stops doors from slamming shut.

Mine are just regular door type hinges. This canopy costs me 399.00 and I am suprised the door just slamm shut without any kind of padding protection. Everytime there are kids coming to the house I tape the door shut. DP

Hey doc,
a
get those felt pads with the sticky tape on back, use those for your bump stops/itll silent the slam alot.

Get a locking hinge set from the hardware store, complaining wont do anything and if you dont have the locking hinges already go buy some, nothing can be done to help you unless you change out that hardware.

Hey doc,
a
get those felt pads with the sticky tape on back, use those for your bump stops/itll silent the slam alot.

Get a locking hinge set from the hardware store, complaining wont do anything and if you dont have the locking hinges already go buy some, nothing can be done to help you unless you change out that hardware.

Complaining? Nope just share my thoughts. Thanks for the suggestions. DP

Thanks so much! DP

Im just saying if it is that big of an issue, Id figure out a way to correct the issue rather then talking about it on here. Its obvious you are concerned for the well being of the tank and its inhabitants as well as your personal property and children.

WD, the Dr. is just looking for suggestions. That's a step in the right direction.

If you are interested in a soft close system for your canopy I would suggest going with blum products. Specifically a few blumotion 970A's. they might do the trick and you wont have to change any of your hardware. Its hard to tell how your canopy opens is it the whole top that comes up? or just the front of it?

yetee, I looked it up. Wow, great stuff!
Very affordable too

Back
Top Bottom