Bumblebee snail in refuge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bwmichael21

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Will adding bumblebee snails negatively impact my refuge in any way. As far as i know they only feed on algea, which i have alot of caulerpa so i don't need it

bwmichael21 said:
As far as i know they only feed on algea
Actually quite the opposite, bumblebees are primarily carnionovors and will primarily feed on dead or rotting meaty substances and detritus. They will be of no use for algaes.

What in particular in the refugium where you trying to accomplish with the snails other than possible algae control? Nerite and cerith would do a much better job IME.

Cheers
Steve

we have bumble bee snails in our tank with other snails and crabs, and they eat mostly algae from what we have seen. they have eaten crabs that have died, but have never killed any of them. there isn't really anything else in my tank besides algae for them to eat so they must be fine with it.

That I couldn't tell you. Hopefully someone else may know. I would still not count on them much as an algae eater though... :wink:

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom