Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-01-2004, 09:51 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Bumblebee snails

Will 5 of these be a good addition to my 35gal tank, to help get rid of the diatoms on the rock and sand, and eat detritus?

If not, can anyone recommend any other snails that would do a better job?

They don't have to be fed directly do they, and do they have to be acclimatised in the same way?

Old 05-01-2004, 10:12 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Mexican Turbos do a great job!

www.panhandlereefers.com

Join N. Florida Regional Forum
GrndHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 11:04 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have 3 bumble bees in my 55. It seems like they are all over the place. I found one yesterday cleaning the brace across the top. I don't know how efficient they are, but you will definitely be entertained by watching them. I had two mexican turbos (my first addition to the tank) for cleaning up. They did an awesome job. Just make sure your powerheads have the ends capped or they could end up like one of mine did. He tried to clean inside a maxi-jet 1200 that is hooked to my protein skimmer. Needless to say, he didn't make it. I think they are about the best for the rocks, but you would want cerinth or some Nas. snails for the sand. No snail should have to be fed directly that I know of and yes acclimate them the same as anything else.

Good luck
Old 05-02-2004, 10:22 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Could the snails crawl out of the top? There's a small gap at the right hand side of my tank, and a smallish snail could easily fit through it...

Turbo snails grow quite big don't they - 2"?

I'm thinking of 2 bumblebees, 2 mex turbos, and 2 ceriths for my 35gal. Can these right themselves if they get turned upside down? If not, how long can they last on their backs, before I've got chance to intervene?

There's about 1/2" between the water surface and the lid - would the snails crawl out of the water into this space (and kill themselves!) or aren't they that stupid?
Old 05-02-2004, 10:31 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to jackdp
Being out of water for a time won't harm the snails. I've never had any of mine climb out and die either. Cerinths and bumblebees can right them selves, not sure about the tubos. If you have a lot of LR, I've heard turbos can get large enough to mess up the rock work in smaller tanks. Astreas, margarita snails stay smaller and are good at cleaning rock and glass, cerinths, bumblebees and nerites are good sand sifters/stirrers and will also come out at night and clean off rocks and glass. I've stopped worrying about righting my fallen snails, if they fall on their backs...well, survival of the fittest HTH
Old 05-02-2004, 10:39 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

OK, thanks!

I wont get the turbos and I'll get 2 margaritas instead.
Old 05-02-2004, 09:49 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to XXFirefighter Send a message via Yahoo to XXFirefighter
I would get 1 turbo, they are awesoem cleaning machines...
I got 5 nass and 1 turbo in my 55 and they do a GREAT job !
Old 05-04-2004, 12:39 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

[/quote]I got 5 nass and 1 turbo in my 55 and they do a GREAT job !
Quote:

thats all you have for a 55g cleanup crew?
Old 05-04-2004, 12:43 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

lets try this again, LOL

Quote:
I got 5 nass and 1 turbo in my 55 and they do a GREAT job !

thats all you have for a 55g cleanup crew?
Old 05-06-2004, 02:42 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

I totally agree with Jack. I myself would avoid the margaritas. I've found them always falling on their backsides. I follow the idea of survival of the smart ones, but I usually end up flipping them anyways. My blue-legged crab gets a treat when they can't do it themselves. He's useful for that. My turbo is great. He's definitely a hungry one. I wouldn't have more than one, but they're busy. Check out the post about my turbo and my algae clip:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewto...t=stupid+turbo

Get a mix of snails. They never seem to do exaclty what you want. If you're looking for glass cleaners, they'll spend their time on the rock and sand. If you want sand sifters, they'll be on the glass or rock. With a mix, you'll do better. Don't get too many to start, once you get a handle on how many cleaners you need, you can always add more.

Tags
snail, snails

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com