Bumblebee snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarkW19

Aquarium Advice Addict
Will 5 of these be a good addition to my 35gal tank, to help get rid of the diatoms on the rock and sand, and eat detritus?

If not, can anyone recommend any other snails that would do a better job?

They don't have to be fed directly do they, and do they have to be acclimatised in the same way?

I have 3 bumble bees in my 55. It seems like they are all over the place. I found one yesterday cleaning the brace across the top. I don't know how efficient they are, but you will definitely be entertained by watching them. I had two mexican turbos (my first addition to the tank) for cleaning up. They did an awesome job. Just make sure your powerheads have the ends capped or they could end up like one of mine did. He tried to clean inside a maxi-jet 1200 that is hooked to my protein skimmer. Needless to say, he didn't make it. I think they are about the best for the rocks, but you would want cerinth or some Nas. snails for the sand. No snail should have to be fed directly that I know of and yes acclimate them the same as anything else.

Good luck

Could the snails crawl out of the top? There's a small gap at the right hand side of my tank, and a smallish snail could easily fit through it...

Turbo snails grow quite big don't they - 2"?

I'm thinking of 2 bumblebees, 2 mex turbos, and 2 ceriths for my 35gal. Can these right themselves if they get turned upside down? If not, how long can they last on their backs, before I've got chance to intervene?

There's about 1/2" between the water surface and the lid - would the snails crawl out of the water into this space (and kill themselves!) or aren't they that stupid? ;)

Being out of water for a time won't harm the snails. I've never had any of mine climb out and die either. Cerinths and bumblebees can right them selves, not sure about the tubos. If you have a lot of LR, I've heard turbos can get large enough to mess up the rock work in smaller tanks. Astreas, margarita snails stay smaller and are good at cleaning rock and glass, cerinths, bumblebees and nerites are good sand sifters/stirrers and will also come out at night and clean off rocks and glass. I've stopped worrying about righting my fallen snails, if they fall on their backs...well, survival of the fittest :mrgreen: HTH

OK, thanks!

I wont get the turbos and I'll get 2 margaritas instead.

I would get 1 turbo, they are awesoem cleaning machines...
I got 5 nass and 1 turbo in my 55 and they do a GREAT job !

I totally agree with Jack. I myself would avoid the margaritas. I've found them always falling on their backsides. I follow the idea of survival of the smart ones, but I usually end up flipping them anyways. My blue-legged crab gets a treat when they can't do it themselves. He's useful for that. My turbo is great. He's definitely a hungry one. I wouldn't have more than one, but they're busy. Check out the post about my turbo and my algae clip:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=22085&highlight=stupid+turbo

Get a mix of snails. They never seem to do exaclty what you want. If you're looking for glass cleaners, they'll spend their time on the rock and sand. If you want sand sifters, they'll be on the glass or rock. With a mix, you'll do better. Don't get too many to start, once you get a handle on how many cleaners you need, you can always add more.

I too am a Bumble Bee fan. However they spend almost all of their tome on the LR and LS. Turbos are cheap for a reason. They are too big and they can't right themselves either. Like 24 hrs? said, they make great Blue leg food. The turbos are great for the glass though, just need to replace them often. I've had one individual in my tank for six mos. but have replaced 10 others. Definately need to get them out of the tank if they die, unless you have some scavengers.

My Turbos keep getting sucked into the PHs. I keep pulling them out, thinking they'll be dead, but they always manage to live through it.

I have four, which I know is too many for my small tank, but that's how many came with my crew package (along with nerites, ceriths and nassarius). They've done an amazing job cleaning the tank. I guess a few will die along the way.

I also have one Bumblebee who came on my LR. He always easily spotable with those stripes.

which I know is too many for my small tank
General rule of thumb is one per gallon. I guess one cool thing about turbos, is the tend to grow coralline on their shells. Looks like a moving piece of LR.

Back
Top Bottom