Butterfly fish, help choosing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bloomk

Aquarium Advice Freak
Really like butterflyfish and banner fish but am having a hard time figuring out which to buy..

My favorites are Auriga Butterflyfish, raccoon butterflyfish, schooling banner fish, longfin banner fish, etc.. Pretty much all colorful banner fish and butterflyfish..

I have a 90 gallon fowlr and purchased a racoon butterflyfish, but he died in QT and am a bit gunshy to buy any more...

Also, I like foxface and yellow tangs.. So compatibility with them is a good thing...

Any comments or suggestions or concerns?

Currently have 2 clownfish, 2 firefish, a Lamark angelfish and 5 shrimp

get what you like... yellow tang should be in a 6' tank though.

Hinds04 said:
get what you like... yellow tang should be in a 6' tank though.

I don't want them to kill each other though. And want ones I can keep alive. I get attached to these fish I've noticed and so an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. :)

I've intensely studied some butterfly fish for my upcoming 90g build and let;s just say theres very few that are easy to care for. I'm probably going to go with a saddleback or double saddle butterfly. :)

I agree with the 6 foot tank for the tang though, unless ypu go with a tomini, other bristletooth or a kole tang. My yellow tang uses every inch of my 6 foot tank and it looks like he needs even more room. lol

I guess when I say "easy" I mean hardy. :)

Anybody have any they recommend or don't recommend and why?

Bloomk said:

I have a one spot. Good, hardy fish. I don't have experience with butterflies. Know they need a well established tank and are hard to take care of. Put a couple of pics of the one spot.

Last edited:
Kio707 said:
I have a one spot. Good, hardy fish. I don't have experience with butterflies. Know they need a well established tank and are hard to take care of. Put a couple of pics of the one spot.

What's that other fish beside the one spot? A tang of some kind?

Back
Top Bottom