Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-06-2007, 11:48 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
Send a message via AIM to GatorDrew
Buy Live Shrimp for Food Online or Fresh Shrimp from Publix?

My Port Jackson Shark LOVES big live shrimp... and I have no problem giving them to him. However, my LFS is very sporadic at having them. I need something a bit more reliable and have been trying to find a website that carries live saltwater shrimp. Not the small ones, but the larger ones.

An alternative that I thought of is getting fresh (not live) shrimp from Publix that you find in the seafood section. It doesn't have any seasoning on it or anything, so it may work. Thoughts?

GatorDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 12:01 AM   #2
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
Maybe it will work. I`m not much on sharks but I`d try and see. If it dont work you know what you have to do.

melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 12:20 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
Where do you live, GatorDrew?
If you're anywhere near the coast you should check out any bait & tackle shops in your area.
The ones down here always have tons of live bait and it's got to be a heck of a lot cheaper than at a LFS.

If your shark doesn't mind the dead shrimp from Publix, the whole ones would be more nutritionally complete then the headless ones.
"Damsels are the yapping, ankle-biting chihuahuas of the ocean.
They have no concept of just how small and annoying they really are."
loyalrogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 01:55 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist
Send a message via AIM to ferretttt Send a message via Yahoo to ferretttt
I always use shrimp from the supermarket to feed my snowflake moray. I usually take off the shell, and cut it into bite size pieces, then feed it. about 15 shrimp cost about $1.50?
Eric "FerretBoy" T
ferretttt is offline   Reply With Quote

food, fresh, live, rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com