Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-03-2014, 04:23 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Buying a secondhand tank?

Hi All,

New to the forum and thanks for having me.

I am in the process of selecting my first marine tank setup. I have decided to go for a FOWLR to start with.

Also have decided on the Aquareef 300 as my tank preference.

I was told you can pickup some real bargains on these tanks second hand with savings in excess of 400!

Would anyone advise against buying a secondhand tank? What should I look out for apart from the obvious leaks, scratches, faulty equipment etc? Is there a good list of tests I can run through to check the tank is worth purchasing?

Many thanks,

Z

Old 01-03-2014, 05:18 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Hi, are you looking buy a full set up?
My opinion is as long as the tank is water tight and you are happy with the glass/acrylic you wont go to far wrong, a little note on cleaning, I use a potassium solution as it kills every remaining bit of bacteria hiding in any of the mastic joints.
I would also advise starting from the the bottom I.e live sand, buying fresh live rock from a local lfs, and a good oversized canister filter (sutible for twice the size of your tank) going this way will be more beneficial to you in the long run as you will have a better understanding of your own tank, hope this helps

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 01-03-2014, 05:31 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks, that's great advice! I was going for the full setup but then realised that takes a lot of the fun and personalisation out of the process. As a result I am going for an empty tank, with original Aquareef equipment eg skimmer, lights, return pump and heaters. The 2 examples I have found look in good aesthetic condition and glass shows no signs of scratches. My only caution was on the fact that they have been left standing dry for a few months. I didn't know if that would do anything to the seals or pipe work?

I will follow your sequence on sand then live rock as I am not going for a deep bed so not much for the critters to disturb and destabilise my aquascaping.

Thanks again and will keep you posted.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:06 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Any time, one small piece of advice would be to buy your large base rocks and place the sand around them (it stops the chance of rocks sliding and falling on the glass as they settle in the sand) I would use a deep sand bed, in the long run it will harbour 50%+ of your beneficial bacteria

Old 01-03-2014, 07:19 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Ah ok. Is a DSB ok for a FOWLR? I thought they are more used for coral keeping? If that's the case I better get some more sand. Thanks again
Old 01-03-2014, 01:34 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Yea a dsb will be fine it will only be good for the tank

Old 01-05-2014, 04:04 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks again. Got the tank yesterday. Was very excited although it was second hand, it's had one owner from new and very good condition. I got it home but then noticed what seemed to be trapped water at the baseClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388908973.809802.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	240.0 KB
ID:	215260. I thought it may just be condensation?

I have filled the sump to the max level and also about 4 I he's of water in the main tank so far. No leaks at present.

Is this something to be concerned about?
Is the
Old 01-05-2014, 04:05 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Sorry that was supposed to say 4 inches of water in the main tank
Old 01-05-2014, 05:29 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Dose the tank sit on a gel matt? I Would fill the tank half way with tap water, get a piece of masking tape and mark the water level on it and keep an eye on it for a few hours to see if it drops, that said if it is sat on a gel matt I wouldnt have thought that your tank would be leaking, as gel mats mould to the bottom of the tank to absorb pressure

Old 01-05-2014, 05:54 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I thought I would send you a few pics of a tank I set up a few years ago, I added a few pieces of rock weekly along with fish, it takes a little bit of playing around to get your aquascape to look how you want but its worth it in the end

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1388914411885.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	215267   Click image for larger version

Name:	1388914452786.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	215268  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1388914516539.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	215269  

Tags
tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com