Buying an established tank but needing to start over

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djp24433

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey whats up? Ive been checkin out alot of post on here after registering and really cant make heads or tales of anything.

I am puchasing this tank and stand USED because the wife loves the design and we cant find any where. Here is a picture of it set up in the persons house i am buying it from
90g wave front not drilled

2487811_1.jpg

In the pic it looks horrible but i just want the tank and stand I will be getting rid of everything else and starting over, but i need a little help. I hear alot about

A Sump
Powerheads
Protein Skimmers
Saltwater Mixes
UV Sterilizers
Water Pumps
Water Purification
Water Test Kits
Water Treatment
Wavemakers
Air Equipment
Chillers
Heaters
Lighting
Filters
Fish Feeders

it comes with everything needed. Im just reading up on all this stuff here on the site to see what i need to do or buy when i do the move. Any help anyone could give would be greatly appreciated

DJ

Last edited:
Looks like a very nice tank.

You will need to research all those things you listed and figure out what pieces you need and don't need.

Before we can help you, can you give us your thoughts on what kind of setup you're looking to have (reef, fowlr, types of fish, corals, etc), that can help us give you the right type of advice.

Need to know

I guess what i really need to konw is how to keep the coral and fish alive?

I will try to preserve as much as possible but what would be the best way to do so? I can go to walmart and purchase some large water tight buckets to geep the fish rock and coral with most of the water. while i transport from one house to another.

How long can i leave them in there before i have the tank put back together?:n00b:

She couldnt tell me what kind of coral but that they are multipying and are very healthy. there are 7 fish and comes with an HOB refugium and protein skimmer with an extra pump for canister filter in the cabinet underneth.

I guess my main question is since i am getting an established tank can i reuse the same water since i will be resetting it all back up shortly after taking it down or should i add new water and sand and rock, use the 48 hour instant bacteria then try an introduce the fish and coral into the tank?

DJ
GySgt USMC

Substantial water changes are highly recommended after a disassembly and move like that. Find out what kinda salt mix is currently in there and use the same for now. Changing salt mixtures can stress a tank and inhabitants alone, and adding a move can make it worse. I would plan on using about 50% newly mixed SW and new (heavily rinsed) sand.

You got a lot of reading to do. Good luck! :)

You sure that's a salt water tank? Looks like plants at the top and I really can't distinguish a sump from that pic. Where's the HOB refuugium?

Based off of the info in the Email i recieved from them there is a video on youtube that shows everything but im at work now and i cant get to it.
Search<90 gal bow front greenville nc>

I think this is just to show a pic of what the tank look like. not the actual tank.

My big thing is i would feel bad if i just got rid of the living things in it and started over. My wife would be very hurt for a while. I just need to know of a way to preserve the Fish?

DJ

I will try to preserve as much as possible but what would be the best way to do so? I can go to walmart and purchase some large water tight buckets to geep the fish rock and coral with most of the water. while i transport from one house to another.

How long can i leave them in there before i have the tank put back together?:n00b:

She couldnt tell me what kind of coral but that they are multipying and are very healthy. there are 7 fish and comes with an HOB refugium and protein skimmer with an extra pump for canister filter in the cabinet underneth.

I guess my main question is since i am getting an established tank can i reuse the same water since i will be resetting it all back up shortly after taking it down or should i add new water and sand and rock, use the 48 hour instant bacteria then try an introduce the fish and coral into the tank?

DJ
GySgt USMC

yea sure you can get some buckets and place the fish and live rock in them for transport. thats what i did when i got mine. I just started early, expecting it to be a long day and it was. as far as replacing the substrate i didnt and everything worked out for me. (and my tank was in horrible condition when i got it) but if you do a search im sure there are threads on this site about moving tanks and the livestock in them. With hints and lessons learned. One thing I would do different next time i move a tank is geting enough premixed water from LFS (or mix up some yourself the day before) to replace at least half the water in the tank before starting the move. good luck!

I saw the video. Looks nice and like a lot of work. Got a real bad hair algae issue going on. I see a CPR Aqaufuge and a CPR Bak Pak skimmer. Didja know a purple tang that size sells for $100 or more? He didn't have good color IMO, but looked OK otherwise. When are you planning on buying and moving it?

I think you won't be needing the chiller (hopefully, and since there's likely no room for it anyway), the water purification, or fish feeders you mention above. And so you know, that tank is a reef tank (has fish and coral).

You're gonna have to move it with maybe 3 clean containers (I'd do new ones), one for fish and inverts, another for the coral -all attached to rocks I'm sure, and maybe a second for the coral and rocks judging by the video. Also need to keep powerheads in the containers to keep oxygen going. If it's real cold, you'll have to maintain the water temp in the waiting buckets too. You're also gonna need new sand and some fresh salt water to set it back up. And get a test kit for ammonia, nitrate, ph, and phosphates (which could be a reason for the hair algae).

My guess is that with the proper prep at your house (water and sand rinsed and ready) you're gonna have to get this all done within a day. Need to be real sure on the plan, so let us know when all this is happening so we can help get you all ready.

Good luck.

I am going to pick up a 55 gal used tank tomorrow and try to do a saltwater mix then on saturday breakdown their tank and transport (about 2 hours time) then ensureing the fish and coral are ok in there temp habitat re-establish the tank after getting rid of the algea do a PWC and putting in new sand and live rock for a couple days then the old rock from the tank and so on while ensuring not to mess up the cycle. before adding the fish and coral.

dJ

DJ
GySgt USMC

A partial water change is probably the way to go but i sold a 92 gallon reef and they took all the water and everything lived. 0 loss. I was impressed. Good luck

Thank you everyone for all the advise. I will try my best and hope I dont have any problems.

with this 90g tank will i be able to house.....
List of fish:

(2) PJ Fish
1 (1) Percula Clown
1 (1)Purple Tang
1 Pseudochromis
2 fish that are to scared to show their face
(2) Cleaner shrimp
(1) Yellow Tang
(1) Blue Tang
(and maybe some invertibrates)

I also plan on spending a couple grand on all this including some coral.

Any Ideas on which coral would make this tank stand out. It comes with two but im not sure what they are. Also this list of fish comes with tthe tank only the numbers in () i am wanting to buy.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

DJ

good luck DJ It will be a stressful time until you get everything stable but you will be fine. I did it and I had never had a fish. You did right by coming to this site (cause its awesome) and seeking advice. Again good luck and keep us informed on how it goes. Oh and if you didnt know WE LOVE PICS. So if you can post some of the move and after you get it set up.

Thanks everyone for all your help. I still havent put the fish or the coral in the tank yet but they are still doing well in their temp setup. Ill post pics on here shortly.

DJ

Back
Top Bottom