Buying Baserock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsPeel

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was thinking of buying some base rock for my 29g I have 25 lbs in there right now and I know I need to add more. When is it a good time to put it in your tank? I am in the process of cycling now. I would think adding it while I am establishing the tank would be a good idea? I was thinking of ordering from hirocks? Is that a good place, or is there another place out there that has the best bang for my buck.

P.S. I have pictures of my tank cycling now...nothing interesting but I thought I would share.

What do you mean by "base rock"? Do you mean non live rock to but in the base? If so I would recommend it for sure also you may want to consider placing the base rock right onto the glass, then filling in with sand and place the live rock on top of that.

I wish I put in more base rock when I first started so the live rock would not be so barried. The rocks you have so far look great.

I ended up ordering more LR from liverocks.com (where I ordered the first 25). I think my tank may benefit more if I just bought the LR right out. I think (err..I know I will get addicted to this like I did FW) so I think I will just buy as much living LR and then when I feel more comfortable buy dead LR and seed it with the mature LR from this tank I am creating now. Did that make sense? Plus I feel (and this might not be true) that I should have more living LR in my tank since I started out with dead sand.

Give me the pipe man, you are hi on fish .We've seen it before but never htis bad.Oh my god I think he is going into shock

MrsPeel said:
Plus I feel (and this might not be true) that I should have more living LR in my tank since I started out with dead sand.
Unless you end up getting LR from different regions, the amount of diversity will not increase all that much by simpley increasing the amount of LR. You will end up with more faster but the "critters" will be the same if you get my meaning. If you purchase base rock with LR to seed it, the populations will be just as good in a few months as if you purchased all LR in the first place. The 25 lbs you already have is more than enough to accomplish that. :wink:

Cheers
Steve

Are you saying I should just go ahead and buy the dry base rock and use the existing LR I have now to seed it? Or are you saying I should buy a combo of LR and base rock. Your post was a little confusing to me. I'm a little tired right now.

What I was buying was the live base rock from liverocks.com

I was suggesting you add the dry dead base rock. LR is a realative term and can mean a wide variety of things.

By the sounds of it, the rock you have now is most likely rock from the bottom of the tanks that have little or no "extra's" after the curing process. They still have an abundance of life such as worms, pods, snails, stars and such but may lack a healthy coralline population or external coral hitchikers. The effects of this rock has absolutely no difference in filtration capacity than the uncured LR you see some places offer.

If what you are looking for is the external "extra's" that comes with the uncured LR then you may wish to look into to that but the addition of just dry base rock will be just the same in benefit to filtration. The rock you purchased from Liveaquaria will still seed it with the fauna, bacteria and other possible life just the same.

Cheers
Steve

Well I bought my live rocks from the guys at liverocks.com

I bought it not only for the filtration but the extra worms, snails and stars.

Thanks for your suggestions though. I will keep it in mind when/if I upgrade my tank and need to buy more rock.

Well I got a sign, the order I just put in at liverocks was cancelled, so I ended up ordering baserock from hirocks. Thanks all for your help.

I just checked out hirocks.com thanks for the info. I wish I saw that before I purcchased the "lace rock" it sure looks great....ther is always next time.......:D

I don't know if it means anything but the "base rocks" at liverocks.com is not dry rock. It comes in with live on it, it just isn't as pretty. (according to Zack).

I knew that the base rock from live rock wasn't dry, I just didn't have enough LR in my tank and thought I needed to add more "living" rock and didn't know that the dry base rock could be used in addition (does that make sense). I thought the dry base rock was something one used after you had the appropriate amount of LR for your size tank, after doing more reading and understanding, I bought the dry rock and plan on seeding it with my LR I now have.

I might order some of that dead rock(lol) it is alot cheaper and as stated a year or 2 out you;d never know. I also thought about getting some acid rock you know the greatful dead ,allman bro's etc....

kidkameleon3 said:
and as stated a year or 2 out you;d never know.
Actually I think you will be suprised how much faster it happens than it's been suggested. The fauna will only take a few short months and in less than a year you should have some decent signs of coralline growth depending on light and maintained chemsitry.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom