buying clown fish this weekend, any tips?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bigalwoo

Aquarium Advice Regular
:fish2:

I am proud to say i have finished cycling my tank, I've used a few various ways to speed up the tank including adding live rock, fish food, live sand, bacteria in a bottle, and filter media from my friends established tank. It is finally here, this weekend i will hopefully be buying :ROFLMAO: a clownfish!

I am purchasing a clownfish as I've been wanting one for years and couldn't think of any other beautiful fish to have in my tank. I am still deciding between getting just one or getting two (so one isn't lonely). Let me know what you think.

ALSO! What i was getting to, does anyone, and i mean anyone have any tips for my first day. Yes, I have read countless amounts of texts about adding fish and the steps taken introducing and accumulating a new fish but theres always more to learn. Tell me about your experiences and helpful tips. THANKS FOR READING :D ........comment below :thanks:

Tip 1:
Put a comfy chair in front of your tank. You'll want/need it :cool:

Bigalwoo said:
:fish2:

I am proud to say i have finished cycling my tank, I've used a few various ways to speed up the tank including adding live rock, fish food, live sand, bacteria in a bottle, and filter media from my friends established tank. It is finally here, this weekend i will hopefully be buying :ROFLMAO: a clownfish!

I am purchasing a clownfish as I've been wanting one for years and couldn't think of any other beautiful fish to have in my tank. I am still deciding between getting just one or getting two (so one isn't lonely). Let me know what you think.

ALSO! What i was getting to, does anyone, and i mean anyone have any tips for my first day. Yes, I have read countless amounts of texts about adding fish and the steps taken introducing and accumulating a new fish but theres always more to learn. Tell me about your experiences and helpful tips. THANKS FOR READING :D ........comment below :thanks:

I have one maroon and one black and white clown. I originally bought 2 true percs but they were sick and ended up dieing. I love the maroon and b/w though. Very interesting fish

I have one maroon and one black and white clown. I originally bought 2 true percs but they were sick and ended up dieing. I love the maroon and b/w though. Very interesting fish

Do the two swim around together much? Or do they like to do their own thing? Also i know they are different types but what are their chances or pairing off?

Bigalwoo said:
Do the two swim around together much? Or do they like to do their own thing? Also i know they are different types but what are their chances or pairing off?

Oh yea they are best buddies! I'm not sure about that because I haven't really researched but I would think they would pair up

Wouldn't suggest maroon or tomatoe clownfish. They get huge, something like 6", and are very aggressive, especially when they get larger.

obscurereef said:
Wouldn't suggest maroon or tomatoe clownfish. They get huge, something like 6", and are very aggressive, especially when they get larger.

Depends on the size of the tank.

My two seem to stay together. We got the mocha ocellaris clowns as a pair and they are rarely apart. Good luck! Clowns suit their name well as they are very entertaining!

Thanks for the help guys, I'm defiantly getting 2 clowns now, but still am unsure whether to get two small ones (they can become a pair in time, but may probably fight) or get one small one and one that is substantially bigger to avoid conflict.

I would get the 2 different sized ones to avoid any conflict. Love my clowns, entertaining to watch. :)

One big and one small. The larger of the two will become the female and the smaller the male. This will stop conflict between the two and hopefully they will pair up. I got mine as baby's about a half inch for the larger one. They seem to be best mates and its quite funny to see when the smaller of the two shakes and wiggles to impress. Lol

Hey guys thanks a lot for all the help. Today i bought two ocellaris clownfish from my lfs they are so awesome and quite interesting, I have one small one about 1 inch and a larger one about 2 inches (guestimation). They are swimming around together and slowly exploring cant wait to see them start swimming around all my rocks. I also picked up a bubble coral as my first coral in the tank, I decided to get it as it was quite pretty and it was also a good fit for begging my tank. I will upload pictures tomorrow, thanks again.

Sorry for the quality they're off my phone. One is bigger than the other but it's hard to see in theses pictures. Thanks! Yay

Attachments

• image-2644622561.jpg
    image-2644622561.jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 100
  • image-120001680.jpg
    image-120001680.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 60
Back
Top Bottom