Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-05-2012, 11:37 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

buying clown fish this weekend, any tips?

I am proud to say i have finished cycling my tank, I've used a few various ways to speed up the tank including adding live rock, fish food, live sand, bacteria in a bottle, and filter media from my friends established tank. It is finally here, this weekend i will hopefully be buying a clownfish!

I am purchasing a clownfish as I've been wanting one for years and couldn't think of any other beautiful fish to have in my tank. I am still deciding between getting just one or getting two (so one isn't lonely). Let me know what you think.

ALSO! What i was getting to, does anyone, and i mean anyone have any tips for my first day. Yes, I have read countless amounts of texts about adding fish and the steps taken introducing and accumulating a new fish but theres always more to learn. Tell me about your experiences and helpful tips. THANKS FOR READING ........comment below

Old 10-05-2012, 11:54 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tip 1:
Put a comfy chair in front of your tank. You'll want/need it

Old 10-06-2012, 01:25 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigalwoo

I am proud to say i have finished cycling my tank, I've used a few various ways to speed up the tank including adding live rock, fish food, live sand, bacteria in a bottle, and filter media from my friends established tank. It is finally here, this weekend i will hopefully be buying a clownfish!

I am purchasing a clownfish as I've been wanting one for years and couldn't think of any other beautiful fish to have in my tank. I am still deciding between getting just one or getting two (so one isn't lonely). Let me know what you think.

ALSO! What i was getting to, does anyone, and i mean anyone have any tips for my first day. Yes, I have read countless amounts of texts about adding fish and the steps taken introducing and accumulating a new fish but theres always more to learn. Tell me about your experiences and helpful tips. THANKS FOR READING ........comment below
I have one maroon and one black and white clown. I originally bought 2 true percs but they were sick and ended up dieing. I love the maroon and b/w though. Very interesting fish
Old 10-07-2012, 12:36 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiew View Post
I have one maroon and one black and white clown. I originally bought 2 true percs but they were sick and ended up dieing. I love the maroon and b/w though. Very interesting fish
Do the two swim around together much? Or do they like to do their own thing? Also i know they are different types but what are their chances or pairing off?
Thanks
Old 10-07-2012, 06:50 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigalwoo

Do the two swim around together much? Or do they like to do their own thing? Also i know they are different types but what are their chances or pairing off?
Thanks
Oh yea they are best buddies! I'm not sure about that because I haven't really researched but I would think they would pair up
Old 10-07-2012, 06:58 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wouldn't suggest maroon or tomatoe clownfish. They get huge, something like 6", and are very aggressive, especially when they get larger.

- Winston Churchill
obscurereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:59 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by obscurereef
Wouldn't suggest maroon or tomatoe clownfish. They get huge, something like 6", and are very aggressive, especially when they get larger.
Depends on the size of the tank.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:24 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

My two seem to stay together. We got the mocha ocellaris clowns as a pair and they are rarely apart. Good luck! Clowns suit their name well as they are very entertaining!
Old 10-07-2012, 08:27 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks for the help guys, I'm defiantly getting 2 clowns now, but still am unsure whether to get two small ones (they can become a pair in time, but may probably fight) or get one small one and one that is substantially bigger to avoid conflict.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:40 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would get the 2 different sized ones to avoid any conflict. Love my clowns, entertaining to watch.

Tags
clown, clown fish, fish, tips

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com