Buying corals online?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ozzlil

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I am new to the hobby and not impressed with the LFS collection of soft corals. Has anyone ever purchased corals online? Prices seem better and more selection, but is it safe? Are the corals healthy?

Liveaquaria.com has great selection and very reputable. They also have a guarantee on the livestock. Fish for sure, not sure about corals. Take a look.

Last edited:
I've had great success from online coral purchasing the only thing that sucks is the cost for the next day del.. that always gets you.. but their are some companies that have free shipping on purchases over $120

If not sure of the company, post the company name here and I know for fact that someone on here has purchased from them before....and can give you their opinon...

Don't forget to occasionally check your local CL listings, plus areas around you.... We have a guy in my area who frags a bunch of different stuff a few times a year and sells them for $10 each.

Go ahead and put the bam-bams in your tank. Zoas can be pretty resilient and if they were damp at all (which they do look like in your pic), there's a good chance they'll pull through so long as they didn't get too hot or cold.

Where do you think your LFS gets their new corals/fish from? Online is safe, easy, and usually much more cost effective. I've ordered from liveaquaria.com and love their selection... just wish shipping was less than $34.

The zoas I bought are opening up and doing ok. Reefs2go.com responded to my email quickly and said that I have a 14 day warranty and if they don't make it let them know, but I don't think that will be an issue as they have all opened up.

I can't post anymore pics via the iPhone app :(

Saratj1 said:
The zoas I bought are opening up and doing ok. Reefs2go.com responded to my email quickly and said that I have a 14 day warranty and if they don't make it let them know, but I don't think that will be an issue as they have all opened up.

I can't post anymore pics via the iPhone app :(

Instead of posting from the app use the photobucket app and copy the image link

+1 on photobucket. Anyway, I have been overall not as impressed with reefs2go as I have been with saltwaterfish and liveaquaria. The order I jsut got from reefs was much better than the other 2 I had months ago, so they have put a smile back on my face. The open brain I got from them was smaller than expected...but is doing very well and the green slimer would have been great (was double the size I was expecting) if my 55 would have been cycled...didn't survive under the 4 T5HOs on the 36, unlike the radions on the 55. If they had a good deal I'd use them again.

Here's a pic, definitely small polyps. My lfs zoa frags have around 20 polyps each for $20 per frag or 3 frags for $50, but I knew when I bought it that I was getting five polyps per frag, and some have 7-8 polyps.

View attachment 90130

I'll also recommend Atlantic Sea Farms. It's a small outfit based in Virginia Beach but his prices are good and he ships via priority mail so shipping is very reasonable for a few frags.

Back
Top Bottom