Buying First Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RambleOn1313

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi All,

I'm getting ready to buy my first aquarium. Thinking of starting with FOWLR then eventually going to a reef. My LFS gave me this quote. Any feedback would be really helpful. Especially if I can get better pricing online...

80 gal. glass 48.5x18.3x25.5 w/built in center overflow
w/hole drilled 325.00
Moore Cabinet, drilled 290.00
Canopy, 10" tall w/fan holes 260.00
Coralife Flourescent Lighting
2x96 watt retrofit in 36" reflector 230.00
(2) 4" fans mounted in canopy 100.00
40 gal tank for sump 50.00
(2) 9000P Sedra pumps 240.00
Bulkheads,connector,tubing,returns 140.00
Timers (2) and Power Strips (2) 40.00
Via Aqua in-sump protein skimmer 180.00
(4) 20lb bags of live sand 120.00
100 lbs Fiji live Rock 500.00
(2) 11x17 200 micron filter socks 16.00
Nylon bag & Carbon 11.00
300 watt Visitherm heater 43.00
Thermometer and net 9.00
Hydrometer 19.00
(2) 50gal bags Carolife SaltMix 38.00
water conditioner, net, algae pad 15.00
All-in-One/Bugger/sea-lab blocks 50.00

Also, I'd like to get opinions on wavemakers vs. powerheads or both in your tanks...

Thanks,
Jenn

If the ls is the bagged stuff on the shelf, skip it. go with 60 southdown and 20 ls from an established tank, or lr.com. They have great lr as well. I added some of the item you have and it seems a bit high, but can't put my finger on what items. I built my stand and hood, and saved a bunch. As for ph I have some maxijets. You can put them on a special power strip that will cycle them for you. I would check out the vendors that support this site and help them out with a sale if you can :wink:

Jenn,

Short answer: I think you could do a bit better. I agree with darb2 on the LR and LS. If it were me (and I just did this last month), I'd price everything on the internet, then approach the LFS with a proposal to either match or closely approximate the prices you obtained. Most business people would jump at that offer since it's usually a guaranteed, pass through, no inventory holding cost sale and likely captures a loyal customer. A significant deposit will likely be required. Note that I'm a huge advocate of keeping business local when earned or going with AA sponsors. Alternatively, you could consider purchasing at the above prices, but asking for say, $300 of "free" livestock when you're ready to go, which is probably a $150 or less discount from the LFS's cost perspective. I used to feel strange asking for discounts, but now it's standard procedure and is successful 80-90% of the time. It doesn't hurt to ask. If the answer is "no" on a $2000+ sale, that may tell you something. Good luck.

Jenn,

Short answer: I think you could do a bit better. I agree with darb2 on the LR and LS. If it were me (and I just did this last month), I'd price everything on the internet, then approach the LFS with a proposal to either match or closely approximate the prices you obtained. Most business people would jump at that offer since it's usually a guaranteed, pass through, no inventory holding cost sale and likely captures a loyal customer. A significant deposit will likely be required. Note that I'm a huge advocate of keeping business local when earned or going with AA sponsors. Alternatively, you could consider purchasing at the above prices, but asking for say, $300 of "free" livestock when you're ready to go, which is probably a $150 or less discount from the LFS's cost perspective. I used to feel strange asking for discounts, but now it's standard procedure and is successful 80-90% of the time. It doesn't hurt to ask. If the answer is "no" on a $2000+ sale, that may tell you something. Good luck.

2x96watts isn't enough for a reef setup (didn't know if you planned to upgrade the lights or not).
And for $100 you could easily build your own canopy (I'm no carpenter, and I've built 2 canopies so far that work great)

I'd get 2 150watt heaters, one for each end fo the tank.

Also, check a homebrew shop for hydrometers. I think mine was only $10, and it's the same thing as the one the LFS will sell you.

Back
Top Bottom