Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-30-2011, 11:54 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Jlsardina
http://algaecontrol.wikidot.com/hair-algae-control

Not a scholary site by any means- but will help some.

Emeralds are very good at cleaning up hair algae. They are also known for bubble algae clean up as well. I had two emeralds wipe out all my hair algae in a 90 gallon reef after its cycle in a week. Plus, they are entertaining to watch. Do your research on what's best for your clean up crew though. Just remember to wait til your cycle is complete or you will just prolong it.

Old 11-30-2011, 03:24 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

WOW! Thank goodness the tank my rocks came from was not nearly as bad as the tank in the link from Jlsardina. If I didn't take them, I am guessing it would have gotten there soon enough though.

I really do appreciate everyone's comments and advice. As a beginner, the more input the better chances I have of success.

I will soon start a log of my progress in a new post and add photos as well.

The two fish made it home alive. I have them with the original tank water and a few small live rocks without algae on them. I am planning to test the water to see what the levels are. Depending the results, I will do a water change. I think I will need one anyhow. But I need to mix the new water and let it sit overnight, if I recall correctly.

The skimmer has no label on it. I have NO idea what I bought. Once it is cleaned or as clean as I can get it, I will post a photo. Maybe someone can id it for me. I need to make sure it will be able to handle the water load. It cam with a RIO 2100 pump. I have it soaking in fresh water with vinegar to get all the crud off. It has these whitish root-like growths all over it. I took as much as I could apart. I just hope I can get it back to working order.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:59 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

The whitish stuff is probably bleached out coraline algae which is good algae for in the tank. just completely submerse the skimmer in the vinegar water solution for a day or two and it will wipe out relatively easily with a sponge.

The hair algae on the rocks will have an initial die off as you cycle the tank, but will come back at full force if you dont keep you phosphates and silica levels down in the tank. Running Chemi-pure elite and a bag of carbon can usually help with this. Also while you cycle the tank keep the lights off completely and that will kill most algae or bacteria outbreaks. Once the tank is cycled bring the lights back on for a hour every week adding a hour and you can also add a CUC, which will go to work around the clock eating algae and detrius.

Hold off on fish till a week after all of your numbers are steady 0 ammo and nitrite, you should have a little nitrate.

Keep us posted on your progress
Old 12-01-2011, 11:32 AM   #14

Good morning! Seems my fish made it! At least so far. I have them in a 20 gallon aqueon setup. I added Instant ocean Bio-Spira and Prime to new saltwater. After a few hours I tested the water and it was low on the pH (7.5) and 0 for ammonia and Nitrites. There was some Nitrates (40). I had placed the best looking smaller cleaner rock in the tank also and a heater.

It was very late and the chances of their survival in the small tank (not enough water and no room for a heater so getting cold) they were in was much less than the bigger one. After a short acclimation time floating in a bag, in they went.

Also, I was told they were a black clown and a blue damsel. But they look like a maroon clown with gold stripes and a hippo tang to me.

Today I need to get them food. I expect they are very hungry. They are both looking good, swimming around peacefully. The tang is funny since he tries to hide and the rocks are shallow, so he flattens himself in corners or on the bottom. I thought he was sick or stressed but late last night I stayed up reading up on the fish and this seems normal behavior. The clown is very social, he comes over and swims near you. I hope they continue to make it, I have gotten attached to them already!

I am off to shop for supplies. I also need to finish working on the main tank. I will get the ro water set aside little by little as I work on cleaning and completing the main tank.

I have the live rock in a 20 gallon brute (new) garbage can with heater and power head running. It has the original water in it. There is too much rock so the top pieces are not immersed. The cover won't even close completely. I should have gotten the larger 32 gallon one but it seemed so huge. I don't even know if all this rock will fit in my 75 gallon tank. How do I figure out the weight of the rock? Do I add rock to my tank by weight or by size? Some are heavy some are very light but large. If I weigh the rocks, the water in it (they hold water in all the crevices) alters the weight.

The skimmer looks like the aqua medic t-1000 turboflotor. It has the rio 2100 pump. I located a detailed instruction/setup document online. At least now I can get it back together correctly.

If anyone has an opinion... are there any parts/tubing that I should replace? How well does it need to be cleaned?

As for the plumbing, should i use NEW tubing or just clean out the original as best i can (hard to get all the way in there)?

Should i use the flexible plastic tubing (grey in color) and black plastic return tubing or get PVC?

Also, I picked up this thing called a flow meter. It is made by Tom Aquarium Products. You connect it to the return line and it displays the flow rate from 50-250 gph. Anyone have one of these? Is it worth it to connect it? I am not sure how to measure my flow rate otherwise. More research needed.

I also need advice on the best number and placement for valves. I will need to pick them up since there doesn't appear to be ANY in the equipment I have so far.

Thanks again for all the help.

Oh, and as for the carbon, where is the best location for the carbon bag?
Old 12-01-2011, 12:30 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Jlsardina
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEA_Monkey
Good morning! Seems my fish made it! At least so far. I have them in a 20 gallon aqueon setup. I added Instant ocean Bio-Spira and Prime to new saltwater. After a few hours I tested the water and it was low on the pH (7.5) and 0 for ammonia and Nitrites. There was some Nitrates (40). I had placed the best looking smaller cleaner rock in the tank also and a heater.

It was very late and the chances of their survival in the small tank (not enough water and no room for a heater so getting cold) they were in was much less than the bigger one. After a short acclimation time floating in a bag, in they went.

Also, I was told they were a black clown and a blue damsel. But they look like a maroon clown with gold stripes and a hippo tang to me.

Today I need to get them food. I expect they are very hungry. They are both looking good, swimming around peacefully. The tang is funny since he tries to hide and the rocks are shallow, so he flattens himself in corners or on the bottom. I thought he was sick or stressed but late last night I stayed up reading up on the fish and this seems normal behavior. The clown is very social, he comes over and swims near you. I hope they continue to make it, I have gotten attached to them already!

I am off to shop for supplies. I also need to finish working on the main tank. I will get the ro water set aside little by little as I work on cleaning and completing the main tank.

I have the live rock in a 20 gallon brute (new) garbage can with heater and power head running. It has the original water in it. There is too much rock so the top pieces are not immersed. The cover won't even close completely. I should have gotten the larger 32 gallon one but it seemed so huge. I don't even know if all this rock will fit in my 75 gallon tank. How do I figure out the weight of the rock? Do I add rock to my tank by weight or by size? Some are heavy some are very light but large. If I weigh the rocks, the water in it (they hold water in all the crevices) alters the weight.

The skimmer looks like the aqua medic t-1000 turboflotor. It has the rio 2100 pump. I located a detailed instruction/setup document online. At least now I can get it back together correctly.

If anyone has an opinion... are there any parts/tubing that I should replace? How well does it need to be cleaned?

As for the plumbing, should i use NEW tubing or just clean out the original as best i can (hard to get all the way in there)?

Should i use the flexible plastic tubing (grey in color) and black plastic return tubing or get PVC?

Also, I picked up this thing called a flow meter. It is made by Tom Aquarium Products. You connect it to the return line and it displays the flow rate from 50-250 gph. Anyone have one of these? Is it worth it to connect it? I am not sure how to measure my flow rate otherwise. More research needed.

I also need advice on the best number and placement for valves. I will need to pick them up since there doesn't appear to be ANY in the equipment I have so far.

Thanks again for all the help.

Oh, and as for the carbon, where is the best location for the carbon bag?
Ok. If you are reading 40 trates do a water change.

You can really just weigh the rock on a bathroom scale if really needed. For a 75 gal tank you need at least 75 lbs. if its reef you may want closer to 150 lbs.

I used all soft plumbing- but Pvs remains a lot cleaner looking in the end. Just make sure it's exactly where you want it.

As far as carbon- if you don't have a reactor- put it in your sump in a area with higher flow. Make sure to change it out as directed
Old 12-01-2011, 01:35 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Def do a water change to get the trates down. 5-10 is a good area for FOWLR. I do 1lb per gallon of rock even in my reef tanks and everything is fine. Enough room to put all my frags but still open enough for the fish to swim around and be happy. Just make sure that you have enough waterflow that can get in and around your rocks so theres no dead spots.

What lights are you running?
Old 12-01-2011, 01:54 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Fowlr systems can handle more than 5-10ppm of nitrates. Obviously the lower the better, but if it's just fish higher nitrates isn't as big of a deal.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:44 PM   #18

Oh gosh, my darn lab (dog) drank out of my 5 gallon bucket of RO water that I filled to make a batch of saltwater for the next change! Can I still use it? Do I dump it and start over?

Get distracted for a second and my lab gets into it! She thought I gave her a nice big TALL bowl of water all for herself! I have a little yorkie too, but he can't reach to top of the bucket.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:52 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'd dump it out, might not be necessary but that's what I'd do.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:56 PM   #20

Okay, I agree with you BallinCrew10, I dumped it. I guess better safe than sorry. I rinsed out the bucket with tap water and set the bucket IN THE SINK this time.

Tags
live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com