Caitlynn's 75 gallon reef build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's a ton of money for that fixture IMO.
I'd much rather have the current nova extreme. It's a well known brand. It's been out a lot longer than the Aquatic life brand.
Go to Home Depot or Lowes for timers. They are cheaper.

mr_X said:
That's a ton of money for that fixture IMO.
I'd much rather have the current nova extreme. It's a well known brand. It's been out a lot longer than the Aquatic life brand.
Go to Home Depot or Lowes for timers. They are cheaper.

Alright thanks! I'm going to look into that brand! And I'll check out home depot or lowes once I get my fixture. Would I be able to hang that inside the canopy?

mr_X said:
Not sure about that. Check the exact dimensions of your canopy V.S. the fixture.
According to this-
http://current-usa.com/files/NovaExtremePro_Manual.pdf
You can at least hang some of them. I would double check with which ever vendor you choose about whether they all can be hung, or just certain models/lengths.

Well I found this and it says under recommended parts that one is a hanging kit so I'm going to keep looking into it but it seems like its a good option. I want to either mount it inside the canopy or find a way to hang it or even let it sit under the canopy I just want to make sure it's going to fit. I'm gonna measure the canopy tonight when I get home.

EriksFish315 said:
To many light fixture options huh?

Way to many!!

I initially wanted to do a normal light kit just under the canopy but all of the notes say don't do it do now I'm looking into retro lights which I like the idea of them being attached to my canopy top but I want more than enough light to support all options and I was told 6 bulb t5 should be fine! But I can't find a retrokit thats six bulbs and I'm going crazy!!!! Haha

I found this. Any opinion on it?

http://www.marineandreef.com/WavePoint_48_T5_HO_4_Lamp_Aquarium_Retrofit_Kit_p/RWP01021.htm

I don't believe you will find any retro kits with 6. They all come with 2 or even 1 bulb.

another option is something like this, with 2 panels

Amazon.com: TaoTronics Hot!/Aquarium Coral Reef Tank White Blue LED Lamb Grow Light 120W-provide light that have the same effect as natural sunlight and hence offers plants a very good growing habitat: Patio, Lawn & Garden

I have the one panel for a 60g tank but I know several members use these on their tanks. Pretty much should be able to keep most anything. :)

Got me some 4 outlet timers with timer/outlet on switch and 60 settings (half hour increments) at lowes for $2.50! They were 75% off so I had to grab some. I'm using two of them in my nano setup (main lights, fuge light/moonlights). The only downside is they are bulky.

However you can also get a power strip that is a timer. I have one, 3 spots for daylights, 3 spots for actinics, 1 spot for moonlights, 1 "always on".

carey said:
I don't believe you will find any retro kits with 6. They all come with 2 or even 1 bulb.

another option is something like this, with 2 panels

Amazon.com: TaoTronics Hot!/Aquarium Coral Reef Tank White Blue LED Lamb Grow Light 120W-provide light that have the same effect as natural sunlight and hence offers plants a very good growing habitat: Patio, Lawn & Garden

I have the one panel for a 60g tank but I know several members use these on their tanks. Pretty much should be able to keep most anything. :)

Hey carey! I've missed your insight! :D

I found the retrokit above that is 4 bulbs. What do you think of it? And then I was thinking of adding an additional 2 bulb one

If that's not as much of an option will you check out the ah supply place above the last link in my previous post. I think I can make my own six bulb from that place just concerned about all the cords :/ I'll see if I can hook em into one plug, my dads an electrition I may be able to borrow his services. :D

Now I do have a question, what kind of "cycle" should I keep my lights on, I know 12 hours a day to start and then adjust but like is there different bulbs? I keep seeing blue lights and then daylight and moon lights confusion!!! Haha sorry!

EDIT:

New thought!

If I have to run blue lights at one time and then day lights at another and then moonlights wouldn't it be better to have a few fixtures? Making the timers easier?

scottayy said:
Got me some 4 outlet timers with timer/outlet on switch and 60 settings (half hour increments) at lowes for $2.50! They were 75% off so I had to grab some. I'm using two of them in my nano setup (main lights, fuge light/moonlights). The only downside is they are bulky.

However you can also get a power strip that is a timer. I have one, 3 spots for daylights, 3 spots for actinics, 1 spot for moonlights, 1 "always on".

I can't pass up a deal myself! I totally get it. I'm thinking of using the power strip timer but idk yet I'm gonna look at liars and see what they have. I am like Carey and I hate cords everywhere so I'm trying to eliminate that!

You will have cords everywhere regardless, lol.

You can mix your blues and whites together. A lot of people put the blues on for an hour or two, then blues+whites, then blues for an hour or two. Sort of simulates dusk/dawn.

scottayy said:
You will have cords everywhere regardless, lol.

You can mix your blues and whites together. A lot of people put the blues on for an hour or two, then blues+whites, then blues for an hour or two. Sort of simulates dusk/dawn.

Yeah I seem to be finding that out! Everything has multiple cords! Haha

That makes sense! Does that have any affect on the corals? Like is it beneficial for them?

Very, well I mean you could do without the whites, but the corals need the 420-460nm actinics for their growth.

If you found a 4 bulb fixture I would get a 2 bulb one to make a total of six.

I would start on the low end of time for the immediate future. I run my whites i think 8 or 9 hours and the blues about 12 hours.

They have timers you can get at lowes or home depot that will have two outlets for timing. You can mix and match to get it the way you want. I would stick to every other is a blue bulb, I don't think it would give enough proper coverage. :)

carey said:
If you found a 4 bulb fixture I would get a 2 bulb one to make a total of six.

I would start on the low end of time for the immediate future. I run my whites i think 8 or 9 hours and the blues about 12 hours.

They have timers you can get at lowes or home depot that will have two outlets for timing. You can mix and match to get it the way you want. I would stick to every other is a blue bulb, I don't think it would give enough proper coverage. :)

That was my initial thought but I wasn't sure because the 4 bulb fixture has one plug and I was concerned about the ability to turn on just 2 of the bulbs one time and then two of them later. Is there a way to do that? I really like the 2 bulb fixture I found that has the led lights. What do you think of that? Needed or a waste? It also comes with one white bulb and one actinic bulb, I was assuming that it's a blue bulb from what I looked up.

Is there any benefit to the led lights?

moonlighting is just for us, the fish and coral dont care. lol

I'm not sure how the setup is for the fixture youre talking about. If it has a single cord then there should be a timer. If there are not separate controls for the blue and white then pass on that fixture.

You deff want separate control of blues and whites makes things a lot nicer if possible one with a timer that you can set both set of lights with.

The dusk/dawn simulation doesn't effect the corals or fish. It doesn't matter if you have separate control of the blues and whites. My fixtures turn on all at once and shut off the same way, and I don't have any adverse effects.
That's all for human enjoyment.

Yeah well put mr. X. I have found it nice to be able just to use the blues at times or at least have the option too.

Back
Top Bottom