Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 02-02-2012, 03:44 PM   #111
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
caitlynnanne9189's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by carey
Thats a decent light. It has individual reflectors for each bulb which is what you want. It has no timer built in, have you looked at the aquaticlife one? it has a built in timer and moonlighting. They are a bit more money but I like them. lol
Once I realized no timer I wanted to look more and I found this that I like but it will definitely be a savings purchase.

http://www.aquacave.com/aquatic-life...ture-3315.html
__________________

__________________
caitlynnanne9189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 03:51 PM   #112
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 189
You can also get timers for your light but they take up some space.
__________________

__________________
Greenpillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 04:01 PM   #113
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
mr_X's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Fairless Hills, Pa.
Posts: 17,895
Send a message via MSN to mr_X
I'm not a big fan of the built in timers. If they break, Your out of luck. Using standard timers from HD or Lowes, you can replace them and the fixture stays intact.
If you are on a budget, you can use a Hydroponics fixture.
here is a 6 lamp fixture for $190.00
Hydrofarm T5 Tube Designer Grow Light System with Bulb | Wayfair
__________________
thanks,
Doug
mr_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 04:11 PM   #114
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
caitlynnanne9189's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X
I'm not a big fan of the built in timers. If they break, Your out of luck. Using standard timers from HD or Lowes, you can replace them and the fixture stays intact.
If you are on a budget, you can use a Hydroponics fixture.
here is a 6 lamp fixture for $190.00
Hydrofarm T5 Tube Designer Grow Light System with Bulb | Wayfair
So I can add my own timers? Is that hard to do? And does it take a lot of space. What do you think of the first fixture I found if I can add my own timers.

And the one you showed is hanging. Could I get a way to pit it on the side of the tank. I want it to be under the canopy and I can't hang it :/
__________________
caitlynnanne9189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 04:38 PM   #115
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
carey's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Deltona, Florida
Posts: 20,962
you can hang it in the canopy.

I hate plug in timers, I have like 20 of the things and half are broken. LOL Good point about being SOL if they break never thought of that.
__________________
180g Reef - 60g Rimless Reef -90G FOWLR- 125g Malawi Cichlids- 40b REEF- 34g Fresh Planted-working on- 20L FOWLR- working on
I have a mix of many different saltwater fish amongst my tanks, but I love my Tangs most of all.
carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 04:59 PM   #116
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
caitlynnanne9189's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by carey
you can hang it in the canopy.

I hate plug in timers, I have like 20 of the things and half are broken. LOL Good point about being SOL if they break never thought of that.
Ahhhh! Confusion! Lol so what do I do? Buy one with a timer or no? Buy a extra timer and some how attatch it to it? Sorry!
__________________
caitlynnanne9189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:08 PM   #117
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
carey's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Deltona, Florida
Posts: 20,962
It's up to you. I prefer my timers built in but Mr X has a point, if it ever breaks you wont have any lights unless you can fix it. You are probably looking at 3 cords. One for the whites, one for blues and one for moonlighting. That would mean 3 timers from walmart or something form like $6 a piece. I just HATE cords, I'm way OCD about it. LOL I have everything in my house wireless so I don't have to deal.

If you bought the aquaticlife fixture for example I am sure it has some sort of warranty. Most name brand fixtures will. Aquatraders and their odyssea lights are probably not the best as far as warranty. PLUS the odyssea lights have external ballasts usually which I don't care for.
__________________
180g Reef - 60g Rimless Reef -90G FOWLR- 125g Malawi Cichlids- 40b REEF- 34g Fresh Planted-working on- 20L FOWLR- working on
I have a mix of many different saltwater fish amongst my tanks, but I love my Tangs most of all.
carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:19 PM   #118
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
caitlynnanne9189's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 793
Alright! Maybe I'll make a thread and ask opinions just so I get a round about feeling. Have you ever had a timer go out?
__________________
caitlynnanne9189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:44 PM   #119
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
mr_X's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Fairless Hills, Pa.
Posts: 17,895
Send a message via MSN to mr_X
moonlighting(which is completely unnecessary) can be ran around the clock, so that doesn't need a timer. if you want to turn on half of the lights in the morning and evening, and the rest of them as sort of a full daylight thing, which isn't going to effect the tank either way, you will need 2 timers. My lights are on 1 timer. they go on, and they go off, and no morning/evening transition or anything.
While i'm not a fan of odyssea products, I actually do like the external ballast feature. It keeps the ballasts cooler and also if they fail, you can replace them without opening up the fixture. It's not mandatory though, as most companies put their t5 ballasts inside the fixture.
__________________
thanks,
Doug
mr_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:52 PM   #120
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
caitlynnanne9189's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X
moonlighting(which is completely unnecessary) can be ran around the clock, so that doesn't need a timer. if you want to turn on half of the lights in the morning and evening, and the rest of them as sort of a full daylight thing, which isn't going to effect the tank either way, you will need 2 timers. My lights are on 1 timer. they go on, and they go off, and no morning/evening transition or anything.
While i'm not a fan of odyssea products, I actually do like the external ballast feature. It keeps the ballasts cooler and also if they fail, you can replace them without opening up the fixture. It's not mandatory though, as most companies put their t5 ballasts inside the fixture.
So technically I really only need one timer and this is just to make sure the lights are turned on an off correctly for the corals and a that.
__________________

__________________
caitlynnanne9189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
5 gallon, 75 gallon, build, reef, reef build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
40 Gallon Breeder Reef/ Stand Build!! Freshnoob1 DIY Projects 31 03-06-2012 10:14 PM
125 gallon reef build... from the beginning lovemyreef Saltwater Reef Aquaria 5 02-05-2012 12:16 PM
55 gallon reef - First Saltwater Build Ever! matthewh133 Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 200 11-28-2011 03:26 AM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.