Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-03-2012, 02:10 PM   #151
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey
I would still try to water test it in the garage. You can just bring the tank in there you dont need the whole canopy and stand. I may be a little paranoid but I always get kinda scared when getting a used tank. If you test it now at least if there is god forbid an issue it will leak on concrete and not the carpet. It won't come pouring out like a flood if theres a leak, you'll just have water, not a wave that can destroy the stuff in the garage. I just go by better safe than sorry.....LOL

I knew that skimmer was expensive, hehe, it just looks like it is. keeping in mind a new skimmer will run over $200 for a good one for your tank you have to determine if you want to buy now or just keep looking.

I might have missed it, but is the tank drilled that you got?
Thanks!
Lol it's ok! Yep it's fully drilled! Tank goodness! my only concern is that I don't have a way to prop it up without the stand:/ it's got the tube coming out the bottom that needs to be hanging off something. I'm more than willing to do what you guys say so water testing it is. I'm gonna try to move stuff in the garage for the room. Idk if there's room right now. And then I guess take the stand over there to try and get it set up then I'll have the boys move the tank. I'm trying to get the tank itself clean now. Thinking if making really got water and pouring it in the bottom and using that to clean off the side and then get the water out some how. Right now I have it sitting across my dining room table so the tube can hang down and I can still clean it. The stand needed cleaning so I asked the boys to move it. here's a picture if the tube. Maybe you can tell me if I can place it on something else to year the water cuz I want to start sanding the stand to get it stained ASAP
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1812517013.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	74635   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3674800129.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	74636  

Old 02-03-2012, 02:12 PM   #152
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X
I think it's old technology though. They used big pumps that weren't as efficient as the pumps we have today.
You can get a decent skimmer brand new for under 300. Maybe closer to 200.
This is the one I am using. Although it's more than you need, it works very well
Bubble Magus BM-180EX Protein Skimmer Brand New | eBay

Here is a good one-
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bubble-Magus...66275356712468
So the bottom one would be good for what I need and fit I side my sump? I'm doing the 20 long like you suggested just trying to find the tank. I've asked around. If that's the right thing then I know what to save up for next!

Old 02-03-2012, 02:38 PM   #153
Aquarium Advice Freak

Jeez. That was a little extreme. Following.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:59 PM   #154
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAhner
Jeez. That was a little extreme. Following.
Yeah tell me about it. I was like really??

Any way. So I looked up the brute trash can. It's like a 70 trash can lol. I was not expecting that. It's I'm though. What do you think I should do.

1) get a brute and put it on my patio and fill it up with 5 gallon buckets as i make the water

OR

2) just make it when I need it 5 gallons at a time, still getting the float thing to make sure I don't over flow.

And what do you think of this RODI

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/...xe-system.html
Old 02-03-2012, 03:07 PM   #155
Aquarium Advice Freak

It's $34 for a 32g at walmart.com. $11 for a lid. And you can buy wheels for them but I didn't see that on the walmart site. Maybe wheel it back and forth?
Old 02-03-2012, 03:40 PM   #156
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAhner
It's $34 for a 32g at walmart.com. $11 for a lid. And you can buy wheels for them but I didn't see that on the walmart site. Maybe wheel it back and forth?
Unfortunately I have carpet and it won't reel and there's a big sliding door track id have to get it over before I could attempt to wheel it but I'll definitely lol for it from Walmart and then I'll check out a lid too. I wonder if my local Walmart will have one so I can avoid the shipping. I'll look to see thanks! What about the RODI did u check it out?
Old 02-03-2012, 03:57 PM   #157
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yea I kinda figured that about the carpet and door. Walmart has free shipping to their stores, but you gotta pay tax. Which rodi were you looking at?
Old 02-03-2012, 04:02 PM   #158
Aquarium Advice Addict

I got a 64g for $55 and a 32g for $12 Both came with lids and were bought at walmart
Old 02-03-2012, 04:15 PM   #159
Aquarium Advice Freak

I doubt that 32g is food grade.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:19 PM   #160
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I paid $22 I think for lid and can at ace hardware. It's a 32g brute.

Since youre in an apt you might wanna think about a 20g or so. The biggest you can fit in the house. Whether it be a closet or alcove, theres gotta be somewhere you can fit a can.

As far as the ro/di you linked, well, if I had the money I would get it but the 5 stage deluxe should be fine. I am ordering one next week during the group buy at bulk reef supply, they will be $180 for that week for group buy members. I think they also discount some of their protein skimmers as well so if you have a bit of cash you might wanna check it out.

There's so much you have to get, lol, but you did get the biggest thing out of the way. haha... I would start getting the smaller things as well if you can, like a refractometer for salinity ($30 on ebay), water test kit (API liquid test is good), 2 powerheads, heater,lights, the SALT lol, stuff like that.

There are some really great deals to be had online if you just look real good. I shop alot at the following: Bulk Aquarium Supplies - Reef Aquarium Supplies | BulkReefSupply.com , Aquarium Pet Fish Supplies, Tank Accessories, Products & Equipment , Aquarium Fish: Tropical Freshwater Fish and Saltwater Fish for Home Aquariums , Aquarium Supplies, Reef Aquarium Supplies, Aquarium Products, Fish Tank Supplies, Freshwater Aquarium, Marine Aquarium , Pet Supplies | Dog Supplies | Fish Supplies | Bird Supplies | PetSolutions .

the above are all top of the line in my book and each retailer will have some of what you need cheaper than the others will. To save the most $$ I usually buy a few things from each one and it has worked out really well for me. I don't hesitate to recommend them. There are some other places I've ordered from but the livestock or dry goods just werent up to snuff. haha

Think I wrote enough? Sorry for the long post just got on a roll!

Tags
5 gallon, 75 gallon, build, reef, reef build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com