Caitlynn's 75 gallon reef build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You can make your own easily for under a hundred. Pick up the size tank you need. Go to home depot and get a couple panes of glass or acrylic and some silicone. Not hard at all, and pretty cheap.

KAhner said:
You can make your own easily for under a hundred. Pick up the size tank you need. Go to home depot and get a couple panes of glass or acrylic and some silicone. Not hard at all, and pretty cheap.

I missed the petco gallon sale so the 40g breeders are $100 I'm checking craigslist ATM but they are all packages

aw dang it, now that i want to do a fowlr build, i checked craigslist and made this guy an offer for a 110 tall for $150

my head says no my gut says yessss

scottayy said:
aw dang it, now that i want to do a fowlr build, i checked craigslist and made this guy an offer for a 110 tall for $150

GL I hope you get it.

Ibrahim said:
I missed the petco gallon sale so the 40g breeders are $100 I'm checking craigslist ATM but they are all packages

I just went to petco yesterday and asked the lady about the dollar per gallon sale. She said to check back on the 21st cuz that's what I'm waiting for too! I'm going to make my own sump as well!

scottayy said:

Good luck!!! If I had the room is had done a 125 but the 6 foot wouldn't fit where it had to go.

Ok so I think I decided to get the Quiet One. It's a little more GPH than the mag 7 and it's ~ $30 cheaper.

Here's the canopy and the doors. The stand got a bit wet from being on the patio so I'm letting it dry first.

EDIT: got the stand done! Now all that's left is the varnish but I gotta let it dry! I really love the color! What do you guys think??

Attachments

• image-3671043743.jpg
    image-3671043743.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 48
  • image-784410943.jpg
    image-784410943.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 47
  • image-1063384663.jpg
    image-1063384663.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 55
  • image-2681513410.jpg
    image-2681513410.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 65
  • image-1923141693.jpg
    image-1923141693.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 73
  • image-63773086.jpg
    image-63773086.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 65
caitlynnanne9189 said:
Here's the canopy and the doors. The stand got a bit wet from being on the patio so I'm letting it dry first.

EDIT: got the stand done! Now all that's left is the varnish but I gotta let it dry! I really love the color! What do you guys think??

Looks really nice! I'd leave it like this or add a very light coat.

Here's the buying idea what do you think?

1) 2 LED light panels
2) Bubble magus protein skimmer
3) Quiet One 3000 return pump
4) 2 koralia 1400

Do I need a heater or chiller?

I have a API master FW kit that I'm going to order the color chart for SW for. Do I need the master reef kit?

I know I need salt, what do you guys prefer? I saw instant ocean crystals that says its good for a reef cuz it has special nutrients in it. Is this good?

Do I need live sand? I know I need live rock but do I need like sand too?

Thinking of adding a Refigum into the sump do I need anything special to do this?

Sorry! Been thinking of questions all day while staining!

You wont need to test for calcium, alkalinity and phosphates til you get going for a while. I would also suggest NOT using API testers for alkalinity, phosphates, calcium and magnesium. I use salifert tests for those since you really really need accurate readings.

I started with regular old instant ocean salt. It's cheapo and does the job. After I had some corals though I started using instant ocean reef crystals. Salt is pretty much up to you and which one you prefer. :)

Live sand isnt needed, just a waste of money in my opinion. There cant be much "alive" in a sealed bag. lol

As far as a refugium, what do you have planned for the sump? Are you making one or buying one? Here is a sump with refugium in it, BUT the skimmer chamber is small.

Eshopps Refugium R-100, 75-125g, 2nd Generation - AquaCave.com

Thanks Carey!

So I'll start with just instant ocean salt. Is there another way to get the nutrients if I stick with that salt?

I'll check out the test kit you recommended! :D I definitely want accuracy!

I'm making my own sump. I'm waiting on petco to have the dollar per gallon sale do I can get the tank. It's gonna be a 20 gallon long.

Your salt mix is the main way you get trace elements and other needed things into your tank. Doing a weekly water change will give you everything your fish and corals will need. It's when you don't do water changes that you end up getting into dosing specific chemicals and having to watch everything. water changes cure so many issues it's not funny. lol

If you are making your own sump then you can easily add a section for the refugium. I have mine setup from left to right: input hose from overflow with filter sock and the skimmer, next compartment is my fuge and the third is for the return pump. You want your skimmer to be before the fuge btw. :-D
Not sure when the next $1 a gallon sale is, they just had one about a month ago. Check out craigslist for one, you could get lucky. :)

Back
Top Bottom