Caitlynn's 75 gallon reef build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For the most part fish are easy enough to kept fed. There are a dozen or so fish I would stay away from until your tank is matured and/or you feel you can handle one of them. A couple fish that come to mind are: scooters, mandarins, fingerlings,butterfly fish, like the copperbanded, moorish idol, some tangs, some squirrel fish and that's just off the top of my head. What really helps me out is a book that I keep in my car, it has like almost every fish in it with a short info section on them and their suitability to home aquaria.

Amazon.com: A PocketExpert Guide to Marine Fishes: 500+ Essential-To-Know Aquarium Species (9781890087388): Scott W. Michael: Books

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1890087661/ref=oh_o05_s00_i01_details

Both these books are great reference books and they are quite cheap as well. :-D

Thanks Carey!

I have both of those on my wish list as well as the reef marine fish!

I can't wait to get them! I think next Fridays pay check :D

Can you give me a few fish you think would be good in my tank. Here are a few I want:

Clown fish
Bangaii cardinal
Kole yellow eye tang

Can you think of others that would be good? I'd really like to have the black axial chronmis but I can't seem to find them here :/

Any ideas in ones I should look up?

No tank is complete without a blenny and a goby! LOL I like my blennies, my favorite is the midas blenny. Bright yellow with blue eyes and very social. And for a goby you can go all sorts of different ways. You can get a shrimp goby that can pair up with a pistol shrimp or you can just get a regular old goby. Snd sifter or not sifter. :)

carey said:
No tank is complete without a blenny and a goby! LOL I like my blennies, my favorite is the midas blenny. Bright yellow with blue eyes and very social. And for a goby you can go all sorts of different ways. You can get a shrimp goby that can pair up with a pistol shrimp or you can just get a regular old goby. Snd sifter or not sifter. :)

I'm going to look into them both!

Blue damsels are to aggressive right? I love their color?

Does my previous fish sound ok together so far?

Yep, you can for sure get that kole tang, they are really great fish! I would stay away from damsels just based on reputation. lol There are so many fish that can go into your tank you don't have to fixate on any one in particular there's plenty to choose from. :-D

carey said:
Yep, you can for sure get that kole tang, they are really great fish! I would stay away from damsels just based on reputation. lol There are so many fish that can go into your tank you don't have to fixate on any one in particular there's plenty to choose from. :-D

Yep! Thanks for the blenny and goby idea! There are some really pretty ones! Im looking on live aquaria and already find ones that I like!

Is there any larger fish you can recommend? Ones that are similar to the kole tang. I like fish that size although I like the smallers too those just catch my eye!
:D

Hmm you could do some anthias, maybe bartletts or lyretails, you may be able to get 3 of them, 2 females and a male. The squarebacks that you posted earlier get kinda big, I only have a single female and the male in my 125g. Or how about a foxface lo? And if you arent going to have any tiny shrimo you could get a flame hawk. I have one, sumo is his name and he like the coolest fish ever. He follows us around the tank and stares at us, it's kinda creepy sometimes but its still funny. lol

carey said:
Hmm you could do some anthias, maybe bartletts or lyretails, you may be able to get 3 of them, 2 females and a male. The squarebacks that you posted earlier get kinda big, I only have a single female and the male in my 125g. Or how about a foxface lo? And if you arent going to have any tiny shrimo you could get a flame hawk. I have one, sumo is his name and he like the coolest fish ever. He follows us around the tank and stares at us, it's kinda creepy sometimes but its still funny. lol

What is considered tiny shrimp? I was looking at the banded coral shrimp just just they look awesome! :D

I'm going to go look up all those! Thanks Carey!

Haha i would stay away from most larger fish like tangs.. I can suggest smaller fish though! Lol i really like the yellow head jawfish ;)

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Haha i would stay away from most larger fish like tangs.. I can suggest smaller fish though! Lol i really like the yellow head jawfish ;)

My favorite are the larger ones! I guess I'm destined to have a HUGE tank lol!

I'll look they guy up! Thanks!! :D

The kole tang is probably the biggest fish you'll be able to get in there. Great fish, too!

carey said:

Well the ones you mentioned first love aquaria says are for 125 gallon or more :/ and the fox face says with caution for a reef. I had originally picked him out! The with caution makes me nervous!

Just a few pics for ya. Two of my feather duster.

Attachments

• image-660400393.jpg
    image-660400393.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 60
  • image-767815410.jpg
    image-767815410.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 73
  • image-3401353514.jpg
    image-3401353514.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 64
  • image-1927199842.jpg
    image-1927199842.jpg