Caitlynn's 75 gallon reef build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Those few inches make a real difference with how you can scape your rock and place your corals. I had a 55g and really wished I had gone with the 75g. lol But now I have a 90g but it's fish only, and mr x is right of course about the height between 75 and 90. I don't know how I could place corals and do things in the 90 if it were a reef setup.

So basically i vote a 75g. :)

carey said:
Those few inches make a real difference with how you can scape your rock and place your corals. I had a 55g and really wished I had gone with the 75g. lol But now I have a 90g but it's fish only, and mr x is right of course about the height between 75 and 90. I don't know how I could place corals and do things in the 90 if it were a reef setup.

So basically i vote a 75g. :)

Alrighty! Thanks!

Yes! the 75 is 100 times better than the 55 because the 55 is so shallow front to back. A 75 is a good tank for a reef. Now when you get this tank you are going to want to drill the back for a drain to sump. Either that, or purchase a "reef ready" tank, which is already drilled and has an internal overflow.

The reason for this is so you can implement a sump underneath your tank or even in a remote location. This is a big help. Even if you don't understand it now, later you will thank me.
Can you spare the tank sticking out another 3 or 4 inches from the wall? If not, look for a reef ready tank.

mr_X said:
Yes! the 75 is 100 times better than the 55 because the 55 is so shallow front to back. A 75 is a good tank for a reef. Now when you get this tank you are going to want to drill the back for a drain to sump. Either that, or purchase a "reef ready" tank, which is already drilled and has an internal overflow.

The reason for this is so you can implement a sump underneath your tank or even in a remote location. This is a big help. Even if you don't understand it now, later you will thank me.
Can you spare the tank sticking out another 3 or 4 inches from the wall? If not, look for a reef ready tank.

If I did the 55 I can but I don't think so with the 75. It would be right up against my dining room table at that point. So I'm just gonna keep looking for a 75 but I'm supposed to be looking for a drilled tank? If I do find one that's not is it something I can do myself. I may be able to scoot the table over a few inches to allow for it

caitlynnanne9189 said:
Also how does this one look mr x?

Also not really I to the ion fish but I figured I could find someone who would want it weather it's a store or a person.

Drilled tank would be awesome to have. i run both drilled and not and I'm feeling silly for not getting my tank drilled. It makes life soo much easier for you. Plus it's alot more quiet than the overflow box you would need of you dont get a drilled tank.

LOL, I moved my dining room table about 2 feet over to allow room for my 6 foot cichlid tank. It's just a few inches but it an important few inches. You also could get a tang, some are good in a 75g tank. There are NO tangs that can go into a 55g. :)

carey said:
Drilled tank would be awesome to have. i run both drilled and not and I'm feeling silly for not getting my tank drilled. It makes life soo much easier for you. Plus it's alot more quiet than the overflow box you would need of you dont get a drilled tank.

LOL, I moved my dining room table about 2 feet over to allow room for my 6 foot cichlid tank. It's just a few inches but it an important few inches. You also could get a tang, some are good in a 75g tank. There are NO tangs that can go into a 55g. :)

Looks like I'm just going to stay on the hunt for the 75 I want. Is drilling something you can do yourself or have someone do if you find a good offer?

There are places that sell the hole cutters for tank, like www.glaa sholes.com

Where in florida are you at? I'm halfway between daytona and orlando!

carey said:
There are places that sell the hole cutters for tank, like www.glaa sholes.com

Where in florida are you at? I'm halfway between daytona and orlando!

Im in west palm. About 2 hours from Orlando

I think I'm just gonna keep on the lookout for a drilled tank.

It's easy to do yourself. If you drill it yourself though, you are going to have a 1.5" pipe behind the tank. It will force you to have the tank further from the wall. Is that ok?

Ahh I see. :) What cities do you search on craigslist? I know tampa is ALWAYS full of great setups. i search like 4 different cities all within an an hour and a half. You might need to extend your search area.

Whats kinda funny is I have a 75g tank and a metal halide fixture for sale. Just don't have the stand. It's also not drilled. :-( If you are interested in my tank and light send me a pm.

BUT back on topic. Yep, keep an eye out for the 75g, it may take a few weeks to find the perfect setup. i know it's exciting and all but take your time and don't settle on anything that you might regret.
You can post potential setups here and people will chime in to help.

The most important things to look for in a setup are:
Clean and seals are all good in the tank. No major scratches or anything like that. make sure the stand is sturdy and check for bowing to make sure ots still structally sound.
Then when you ask about equipment you are looking for brand and type like a aquaticlife T5 6 bulb light. Same with a skimmer, get make and model if you can.
You'll soon be able to spot a good deal on CL once you get a handle on everything you are gonna need.

carey said:
Ahh I see. :) What cities do you search on craigslist? I know tampa is ALWAYS full of great setups. i search like 4 different cities all within an an hour and a half. You might need to extend your search area.

Whats kinda funny is I have a 75g tank and a metal halide fixture for sale. Just don't have the stand. It's also not drilled. :-( If you are interested in my tank and light send me a pm.

BUT back on topic. Yep, keep an eye out for the 75g, it may take a few weeks to find the perfect setup. i know it's exciting and all but take your time and don't settle on anything that you might regret.
You can post potential setups here and people will chime in to help.

The most important things to look for in a setup are:
Clean and seals are all good in the tank. No major scratches or anything like that. make sure the stand is sturdy and check for bowing to make sure ots still structally sound.
Then when you ask about equipment you are looking for brand and type like a aquaticlife T5 6 bulb light. Same with a skimmer, get make and model if you can.
You'll soon be able to spot a good deal on CL once you get a handle on everything you are gonna need.

Well the guy with the 55 for 180 just wrote saying he has it but now I'm u sure cuz if the extra inches in width from the 75. I really just check Miami. I gotta figure out how to check up north too cuz I don't mind driving like an hour but more than that and it's to much in gas. I'll definitely make sure I keep looking for things! I think my hardest thing I'm finding is either a finding a tank thats not set up and running because I want to have the right stuff before its running and b a stand lol. I gotta find one if those! I'll think about though thanks!

mr_X said:
It's easy to do yourself. If you drill it yourself though, you are going to have a 1.5" pipe behind the tank. It will force you to have the tank further from the wall. Is that ok?

I suppose it could be ok. I'm gonna go measure the space I have. I really shouldn't go with a 55 if I can get a good deal on tank and stand? It's so tempting! But I also want to be patient cuz I want to do it right!

Also drilling makes me nervous! Should it? And is it hard to do yourself! I got the site cary posted for the tool

I would pass on the 55g. i know its hard, but there will be a better one soon enough. You'll kick yourself later once its setup and you run out of room for everything. LOL

I hear drilling is actually easy. BUT I wouldnt do it myself that's for sure. I'd be too paranoid.

If you need something to keep you busy while youre searching for that 75g you can start buying the small things to keep you busy. :)

You'll need a refractometer to test salinity, test kits, salt and sand most likely. Not sure what your budget is like but an ro/di water unit is a great investment. Your tank and fishies will thank you! There are ro/di units for like $65 on ebay. i use one myself and I use like 100 gallons a week between all my tanks. Not one has an algae issue or has ever had one.

carey said:
I would pass on the 55g. i know its hard, but there will be a better one soon enough. You'll kick yourself later once its setup and you run out of room for everything. LOL

I hear drilling is actually easy. BUT I wouldnt do it myself that's for sure. I'd be too paranoid.

If you need something to keep you busy while youre searching for that 75g you can start buying the small things to keep you busy. :)

You'll need a refractometer to test salinity, test kits, salt and sand most likely. Not sure what your budget is like but an ro/di water unit is a great investment. Your tank and fishies will thank you! There are ro/di units for like $65 on ebay. i use one myself and I use like 100 gallons a week between all my tanks. Not one has an algae issue or has ever had one.

Honestly I didn't set a budget cuz I just wanted to do it piece by piece and just buy what I can afford and the wait till I can afford the next part. I really want it to be an investment that I'm going to enjoy so I'm fine with taking my time. I'm gonna keep looking on CL and then just see what happens. Hope I find something. I'm a bit scared to drill the tank myself. I mean I guess I could try it but the idea worries me. Theresa great reef store about 20 mins from my house I may go there and see what they have for tanks that are as mr x said reef ready just to see what it's supposed to look like.

caitlynnanne9189 said:
Honestly I didn't set a budget cuz I just wanted to do it piece by piece and just buy what I can afford and the wait till I can afford the next part. I really want it to be an investment that I'm going to enjoy so I'm fine with taking my time. I'm gonna keep looking on CL and then just see what happens. Hope I find something. I'm a bit scared to drill the tank myself. I mean I guess I could try it but the idea worries me. Theresa great reef store about 20 mins from my house I may go there and see what they have for tanks that are as mr x said reef ready just to see what it's supposed to look like.

Very smart to take it slow!! You hear about people all the time who just throw fish in their reef 2 weeks later and it always goes bad. For my brother and i we had about 3 months to think about EVERY little detail and the stock and everything just to make sure once we get started things will go smoothly. I really think waiting and taking it slow is a good idea for the first salt tank, and it gives you time to afford it, think about everything, and you wont be buying another tank for a while!! Lol good luck :)

mr_X said:
Drilling a tank is a joke. After you do it you'll laugh at how simple it was.

Is it really that easy? What would I need a drill or something? I kinda wanna try it. I think everything will fit in my space even if I have to pull it out a few inches

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Very smart to take it slow!! You hear about people all the time who just throw fish in their reef 2 weeks later and it always goes bad. For my brother and i we had about 3 months to think about EVERY little detail and the stock and everything just to make sure once we get started things will go smoothly. I really think waiting and taking it slow is a good idea for the first salt tank, and it gives you time to afford it, think about everything, and you wont be buying another tank for a while!! Lol good luck :)

I am definitely taking it slow it may take me about 6 months to afford all the stuff just to set it up but I'm ok with that cuz I want to make sure I do it correctly! I'm gonna keep looking for that 75 that I want.

Back
Top Bottom