Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-08-2012, 07:01 AM   #201
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
That's a ton of money for that fixture IMO.
I'd much rather have the current nova extreme. It's a well known brand. It's been out a lot longer than the Aquatic life brand.
Go to Home Depot or Lowes for timers. They are cheaper.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:08 AM   #202
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X
That's a ton of money for that fixture IMO.
I'd much rather have the current nova extreme. It's a well known brand. It's been out a lot longer than the Aquatic life brand.
Go to Home Depot or Lowes for timers. They are cheaper.
Alright thanks! I'm going to look into that brand! And I'll check out home depot or lowes once I get my fixture. Would I be able to hang that inside the canopy?

Old 02-08-2012, 11:10 AM   #203
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Not sure about that. Check the exact dimensions of your canopy V.S. the fixture.
According to this-
http://current-usa.com/files/NovaExtremePro_Manual.pdf
You can at least hang some of them. I would double check with which ever vendor you choose about whether they all can be hung, or just certain models/lengths.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:52 PM   #204
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X
Not sure about that. Check the exact dimensions of your canopy V.S. the fixture.
According to this-
http://current-usa.com/files/NovaExtremePro_Manual.pdf
You can at least hang some of them. I would double check with which ever vendor you choose about whether they all can be hung, or just certain models/lengths.
Well I found this and it says under recommended parts that one is a hanging kit so I'm going to keep looking into it but it seems like its a good option. I want to either mount it inside the canopy or find a way to hang it or even let it sit under the canopy I just want to make sure it's going to fit. I'm gonna measure the canopy tonight when I get home.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:32 PM   #205
Aquarium Advice FINatic

How do you guys feel about this light kit?

http://ahsupply.com/
Old 02-09-2012, 11:37 PM   #206
Aquarium Advice Addict

To many light fixture options huh?
Old 02-09-2012, 11:46 PM   #207
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EriksFish315
To many light fixture options huh?
Way to many!!

I initially wanted to do a normal light kit just under the canopy but all of the notes say don't do it do now I'm looking into retro lights which I like the idea of them being attached to my canopy top but I want more than enough light to support all options and I was told 6 bulb t5 should be fine! But I can't find a retrokit thats six bulbs and I'm going crazy!!!! Haha

I found this. Any opinion on it?

http://www.marineandreef.com/WavePoi...p/RWP01021.htm
Old 02-09-2012, 11:54 PM   #208
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I don't believe you will find any retro kits with 6. They all come with 2 or even 1 bulb.

another option is something like this, with 2 panels

Amazon.com: TaoTronics Hot!/Aquarium Coral Reef Tank White Blue LED Lamb Grow Light 120W-provide light that have the same effect as natural sunlight and hence offers plants a very good growing habitat: Patio, Lawn & Garden

I have the one panel for a 60g tank but I know several members use these on their tanks. Pretty much should be able to keep most anything.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:02 AM   #209
Aquarium Advice Addict

Got me some 4 outlet timers with timer/outlet on switch and 60 settings (half hour increments) at lowes for $2.50! They were 75% off so I had to grab some. I'm using two of them in my nano setup (main lights, fuge light/moonlights). The only downside is they are bulky.

However you can also get a power strip that is a timer. I have one, 3 spots for daylights, 3 spots for actinics, 1 spot for moonlights, 1 "always on".
scottayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:18 AM   #210
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey
I don't believe you will find any retro kits with 6. They all come with 2 or even 1 bulb.

another option is something like this, with 2 panels

Amazon.com: TaoTronics Hot!/Aquarium Coral Reef Tank White Blue LED Lamb Grow Light 120W-provide light that have the same effect as natural sunlight and hence offers plants a very good growing habitat: Patio, Lawn & Garden

I have the one panel for a 60g tank but I know several members use these on their tanks. Pretty much should be able to keep most anything.
Hey carey! I've missed your insight!

I found the retrokit above that is 4 bulbs. What do you think of it? And then I was thinking of adding an additional 2 bulb one

If that's not as much of an option will you check out the ah supply place above the last link in my previous post. I think I can make my own six bulb from that place just concerned about all the cords :/ I'll see if I can hook em into one plug, my dads an electrition I may be able to borrow his services.

Now I do have a question, what kind of "cycle" should I keep my lights on, I know 12 hours a day to start and then adjust but like is there different bulbs? I keep seeing blue lights and then daylight and moon lights confusion!!! Haha sorry!

EDIT:

New thought!

If I have to run blue lights at one time and then day lights at another and then moonlights wouldn't it be better to have a few fixtures? Making the timers easier?

Tags
5 gallon, 75 gallon, build, reef, reef build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com