Caitlynn's 75 gallon reef build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I looked at them. They are ok just a little plain looking to me. I guess it's my only option though. The marble really won't make it :( that's sad he's so pretty!

I know. The fromia stars are the sharpest looking IMO.
Years ago, I tried a few of them-
img_1812591_0_6724469cb82476193e8079dfadd8a7d4.jpg

img_1812591_1_4f414d4a349ea0708464d0919222aa09.jpg

They didn't last very long.

Starfish don't do terribly well in aquariums as a whole really. The serpent stars are very hardy and I have one as well, very easy to keep and pretty cool when he comes out. They do come in other colors too, like red or green. :)

I've been waiting a year to get a starfish and I finally added a red knobby to my 90g FOWLR, but they are NOT reef safe so you cant have one of them.
:-(

mr_X said:
I know. The fromia stars are the sharpest looking IMO.
Years ago, I tried a few of them-

They didn't last very long.

Wow! Those are beautiful! Too bad they didn't make it. :( guess ill pass on them. I'll look at the others you mentioned again. They are ok just loved the marble so much befter! :D oh well. No worries. I don't want to waste money or hurt the star fish.

carey said:
Starfish don't do terribly well in aquariums as a whole really. The serpent stars are very hardy and I have one as well, very easy to keep and pretty cool when he comes out. They do come in other colors too, like red or green. :)

I've been waiting a year to get a starfish and I finally added a red knobby to my 90g FOWLR, but they are NOT reef safe so you cant have one of them.
:-(

That's ok I'm gonna look local see what I can find. I know I saw a marble when I went to the reef store but idk about the others. I just loved the marbled guys. I'll have a fowler one day cuz there's a lot if fish I like that are t reef safe but at this point I love the corals and wanna do reef.

carey said:
You might want to get bigger shrimp than the sexy shrimp and bumblebees. BUT the coral banded can go after other shrimp. :-(

I would look at the fire shrimp, cleaners and peppermints. :-D

The fish stock seems ok. You might be getting to your limit soon though. A couple of anthias in my opinion will put you at stocked.

So if I understand the banded shrimp can attack other shrimp?

I really like the sexy shrimp just because of the name! Lol but I can pass on him.

The fire shrimp and the peppermint look the same correct? Just making sure I'm looking at the right ones.

If I liked the banded coral shrimp could I just get those shrimp so there was no worry about attacking other kinds?

The peppermint shrimp are smaller, more translucent, light pink, and cheaper. The fire shrimp has bright white legs as antennas. It's body is a deep solid red. I had one, but rarely saw it. I'd suggest some peppermint shrimp and some cleaner shrimp. They seen to be out more, and they'll eat out your hand :-D

Last edited:
TeamTrash said:
The peppermint shrimp are smaller, more translucent, light pink, and cheaper. The fire shrimp has bright white legs as antennas. It's body is a deep solid red. I had one, but rarely saw it. I'd suggest some peppermint shrimp and some cleaner shrimp. They seen to be out more, and they'll eat out your hand :-D

That is kind of cool! I'll keep those guys in mind!

How many do you suggest?

This is what I was thinking:

1 emerald crab
1 Pom pom crab
1 electric blue hermit crab
1 green hermit crab
1 blue tuxedo urchin
? snails (thinking bumblebee snails)
? Shrimp

mr_X said:
I would skip the peppermints entirely. They are unattractive.

I didn't really like them either they are just boring lol. I like the banded but I don't want aggression :(

Bumblebee snails are carnivores. I would skip them too. Just get a trio of skunk cleaner shrimp. If you intend to keep snails like astrea or similar, i would skip the hermits also. The snails will end up getting assassinated.

It all sounds good. :) Pom poms are really awesome, but again, they are very tiny. I had one in my 4g pico tank and barely saw her. lol

As far as snails and hermits, get what you like. They are basically there for looks and a little bit for function. don't feel that you MUST have a ton of snails and hermits to keep your tank clean. Sometimes less is more. :-D

I just got my first urchin a few weeks ago and he's really great. Goes around the tank with hermit shells on him. lol They are known to knock over corals and stuff though, that's why I waited for a fowlr to get one.

redsea said:
Yep, coral bandeds can attack other shrimp.
Actually, the Fire and Peppermint Shrimps are different. :)
Saltwater Aquarium Shrimp for Marine Reef Aquariums: Blood Red Fire Shrimp
Saltwater Aquarium Invertebrates for Marine Reef Aquariums: Peppermint Shrimp (Build Your Own)

With Coral Bandeds, you can only keep one, unless you get a mated pair. Otherwiase they will fight (I think).

I hope that this was helpful! :)

Oops! Should have clarified better! They look the same or close to me! I don't think they are very attractive. I'm gonna keep looking at the banded. In fine with just having those if they come out. I'll keep doing my research.

If anyone is sure if they can be in groups it just a pair please let me know!

caitlynnanne9189 said:
I didn't really like them either they are just boring lol. I like the banded but I don't want aggression :(

Well, they may not be the flashiest thing in your tank, but they don't cost a fortune, and mine do come out. If you really want the nice ones, get a fire shrimp and a couple cleaners. I might get another fire shrimp now that I have a bigger tank :)

mr_X said:
Bumblebee snails are carnivores. I would skip them too. Just get a trio of skunk cleaner shrimp. If you intend to keep snails like astrea or similar, i would skip the hermits also. The snails will end up getting assassinated.

I personally don't like snails I just thought they were necessary. So I can skip snails all together?

Yep. You really don't need snails or hermits unless you want them. Everyone just considers them important to clean the tank but if you take care of the tank like you should you won't need them. :)

Back
Top Bottom