Caitlynn's 75 gallon reef build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
carey said:
It all sounds good. :) Pom poms are really awesome, but again, they are very tiny. I had one in my 4g pico tank and barely saw her. lol

As far as snails and hermits, get what you like. They are basically there for looks and a little bit for function. don't feel that you MUST have a ton of snails and hermits to keep your tank clean. Sometimes less is more. :-D

I just got my first urchin a few weeks ago and he's really great. Goes around the tank with hermit shells on him. lol They are known to knock over corals and stuff though, that's why I waited for a fowlr to get one.

Awe :/ he says reef safe that's why I picked him! I love the Pom pom he's cool! Is he to small? I guess I like the small guys lol. Could I still get one or too small for my tank?

Could I do two emerald crabs instead or is there fighting issues? I also liked these guys but the need an SPS coral. What do you think of the Trapezia Pocillopora if I get a coral for them?

Snails I don't like so I'm gonna pass on them then. The hermit crabs are just cool lol

Now if I do just banded shrimp will I be ok? And can I do multiple or will they fight?

Only can keep a single coral banded unless its a mated pair, :-(. The pom poms are probably too small for a 75g. And sure you could get an extra emerald crab or two, they are great. they do a little dance on the front glass for me sometimes lol

The only concern with hermits is that they will kill each other for shells. If you put some empty shells in the tank with them it might stop some of the killing but you'll still have a few that will just kill for the shell, try it on then abandon it. Some hermits are just stupid. lol

carey said:
Only can keep a single coral banded unless its a mated pair, :-(. The pom poms are probably too small for a 75g. And sure you could get an extra emerald crab or two, they are great. they do a little dance on the front glass for me sometimes lol

The only concern with hermits is that they will kill each other for shells. If you put some empty shells in the tank with them it might stop some of the killing but you'll still have a few that will just kill for the shell, try it on then abandon it. Some hermits are just stupid. lol

Haha like little bully's who only want it because the other kid has it! To funny! Well I'm I'm with just getting one. I may just get the electric blue hermit then and get a few emerald crabs. :)

now I really do like the banded coral shrimp so maybe I'll just get the one and be happy unless I can find a mated pair?

Idk what everyone is saying about the price difference unless I'm crazy. the banded are cheaper on live aquaria

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=497+525+698&pcatid=698

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=497+525+697&pcatid=697

I think the pick on live aquaria is bad of the cleaner shrimp. I like them better after looking at other pics on google. I may skip the banded just to be able to have multiples.

IMO the snails provide such an invaluable service!
microalgae haze would need to be cleaned very often without snails

scottayy said:
IMO the snails provide such an invaluable service!
microalgae haze would need to be cleaned very often without snails

What kind of snails do you suggest then? I like the bumble bee snails on live aquaria but Carey said they were too small. And how many?

My concern is I want the hermit crabs so are they going to get killed? The snails I mean.

Are they large hermit crabs? I had a large one that picked apart snails and ate them.

I don't really know much about snails. I just have dwarf ceriths, ceriths, nasarius (spelling?), and astrea.

I have way too many.

scottayy said:
Are they large hermit crabs? I had a large one that picked apart snails and ate them.

I don't really know much about snails. I just have dwarf ceriths, ceriths, nasarius (spelling?), and astrea.

I have way too many.

Hum ok. They are the electric blue hermit crabs. Idk if they are considered large.

Did the second coat of varnish today. Got one more coat to go and then the stand will be all done! Yay! I'll be water testing the tank as soon as I have the stand complete! I wanted to try and get rid of the gunk stuck to the overflow. I tried just laying a paper towel soaked in vinager on it and then scrubbing it off but it wouldn't work. I bought a large thing of vinager from Costco. How much vinager to water should I use? It's going to be sitting for a week. The bottle is 1.13 gallons I believe. How many do I need?

Maybe get a bunch of paper towels and just pour vinegar only all over them every 6-12hrs every day for 3 days then scrub.

Ibrahim said:
Maybe get a bunch of paper towels and just pour vinegar only all over them every 6-12hrs every day for 3 days then scrub.

I'm going to try that first lol. I'm gonna lay the tank on its side so the towels are directly ago at the over flow. I has pure vinager on it for 3 hours then tried to scrub but nothing...I'll try this on Thursday night. Thanks!!

caitlynnanne9189 said:
I'm going to try that first lol. I'm gonna lay the tank on its side so the towels are directly ago at the over flow. I has pure vinager on it for 3 hours then tried to scrub but nothing...I'll try this on Thursday night. Thanks!!

Yea 3hrs is nowhere near enough lol at least 12-16hrs

Went to a local store today that sells base rock there and I found some pieces I like. What do you think about doing base rock and live rock?

I'm thinking around 100 pounds of rock total?

As well as 80 pounds of sand?

Yeah base rock should be Considerably cheaper so do 10% live and the rest base rock. Just enough live to kick start some bacteria. The sand depends on how deep of a sand bed you want. I used 120lbs for my 55g for a 3 inch deep sand bed.

You could even do no live rock at all and all base rock, if it's aesthetically pleasing (not all heavy boulders). Bacteria will grow regardless.

Back
Top Bottom