Caitlynn's 75 gallon reef build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
EriksFish315 said:
Production most likely has a lot to do it water pressure I have 80 psi and make almost 8 gallons a hour but do have a 150gpd membrane.

Yeah I don't have good pressure. Probably better in the bathroom than in the kitchen. Im in an apartment so there's a lot of ppl using the water lol

You may need a booster pump then. In some cases, if the pressure isn't strong enough, most of your water will bypass the filters and you will waste a lot more.

mr_X said:
You may need a booster pump then. In some cases, if the pressure isn't strong enough, most of your water will bypass the filters and you will waste a lot more.

I may have too. My bathroom is better pressure definitely so I'll try that first and see what the gauge says. If its low I'll have to get a booster. What's a good pressure? 65psi?

What about heaters which brand do you like and what watt?

The filter you will get will tell you the recommended pressure. But 65psi is good I believe. I think 80 would be optimal on my unit.

scottayy said:
The filter you will get will tell you the recommended pressure. But 65psi is good I believe. I think 80 would be optimal on my unit.

Yeah someone said they have 80 and get good amount of water made. I may buy the booster pump any way because I know my flows not much and if I can get it on the next bulk buy on the 7th on sale I'll probably get it.

Is this what I need?

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/aquatec-8800-booster-pump-kit.html

Or do I need the 3/4"?

RO tubing is 1/4" so looks good to me, but I'm no expert in this area. If you had this inline.

As in, pipe -> RO tubing -> booster -> ro tubing -> filter

I may have too. My bathroom is better pressure definitely so I'll try that first and see what the gauge says. If its low I'll have to get a booster. What's a good pressure? 65psi?

What about heaters which brand do you like and what watt?
65 will do.
I'm not sure about the heaters. They all seem to work similar as far as I have seen. I have Aqueon and Jaeger heaters at various points throughout my system.

RO tubing is 1/4" so looks good to me, but I'm no expert in this area. If you had this inline.

As in, pipe -> RO tubing -> booster -> ro tubing -> filter
I was always under the impression you needed a pressurized storage tank to use a booster pump. How would it be able to push water if all it could push is what's coming in the house?

Honestly I have no idea? Anyone that uses one that knows won be appreciated!

It does say with the kit that it's all you need to run it but I have no idea!

I was always under the impression you needed a pressurized storage tank to use a booster pump. How would it be able to push water if all it could push is what's coming in the house?

I was thinking it did it in spurts. Like fill up the pump, pump it out. Though, I really don't know. A reservoir would make sense.

But I absolutely agree 65psi is fine.

How do you guys feel about live rock from petco? They have Fiji rock 45lbs for 107 with free shipping I think. Idk though...it's petco..

There's shut here who sells it for $4 a puns but I was thinking 90-100lbs that seems expensive. Idk though

There is nothing wrong with petco. People are out of their minds thinking someone else has a better product IMO. Everyone gets their live rock from the same places, and everyone gets their fish from the same places. What they do with them afterwards, is the only thing you need to worry about. Rock is rock. I just bought some off a friend of mine that he had sitting in a barrel in his back yard for a year. It's all the same once it's cycled.

You can also go the base rock route. 100lbs for under $180 compared to $220 for 90lbs and hitchhikers which could be good or bad.... I prefer base since both need to go through a cycle and i can aquascape outside the tank and use putty or silicone to get the shape I like.

Ibrahim said:
You can also go the base rock route. 100lbs for under $180 compared to $220 for 90lbs and hitchhikers which could be good or bad.... I prefer base since both need to go through a cycle and i can aquascape outside the tank and use putty or silicone to get the shape I like.

I do like that idea I just think live is so much prettier. What I may do is get like 70% base and then 30% live so I've got a mix. I was kinda excited about the hitchhikers lol. Hoping they were good!

mr_X said:
There is nothing wrong with petco. People are out of their minds thinking someone else has a better product IMO. Everyone gets their live rock from the same places, and everyone gets their fish from the same places. What they do with them afterwards, is the only thing you need to worry about. Rock is rock. I just bought some off a friend of mine that he had sitting in a barrel in his back yard for a year. It's all the same once it's cycled.

Honestly thank you for saying that! I have always liked petco and petsmart but I got a little nervous about them after reading things on here and you are correct it all comes from the same place! Thanks mr. X!

Back
Top Bottom