Caitlynn's 75 gallon reef build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ibrahim said:
The ones at petsmart are $30 for a 20g. The next gallon sale is in a few months since they only do it about 2-3 maybe 4 times a year. Also I'd get the sand from reefrocks. You can get 80lbs which will be enough for only $30 and it's washed. It can't get better than that lol

Sorry that's definitely what I ment! I'm getting sand from reef rock definitely! I may end up getting it from petsmart if it's that much cheaper there's just not one close to me. Petco is whats convienent. I honestly may have enough money to get it all I'm just playing it safe while I figure it out! I also wanna get a 15 gallon for my QT.

carey said:
I think it would be easier to fill up the larger storage unit and transfer THAT to the 5g for water changes. :) And yeah, you kinda have to drill the can to have the float valve work. It's one 1/2 inch hole and thats it. It goes towards the top of the can as well.

I can drill the 5 gallon it's not that big of a deal was just checking. My plan is to have my 32gallon storage on my patio and use 5gallon buckets to fill it and then when I need the water use 5 gallon buckets to transfer. I know it sounds like a ton of work but it's really my only option. My problem is because the way my apartment is set up there is no hose hook up on my patio and so I have to have the 32 out there its my only place and the sink in my kitchen is closest but the water pressure is terrible! And so I'm left with the sink in my bathroom which is fine but I can't run a hose from there to the bucket through my living room which is carpet to the patio.

It's a lot of work I know but it's what I gotta do

Ibrahim said:
Also check Treasure Coast, FL on CL and search "live rock" then pick the 18th post called "live rock, wet/dry system system" He's selling cured live rock and a skimmer. Also some other stuff so you might want to check that out. Also offer him $2 a pound because let him know that you can also get baserock and that'll become live over time as well. He had a large tank too so that'll mean he's got alot of rock. :)

I've been checking them almost everyday! That and south Florida. It's just transporting im worried about. I'm gonna keep looking though!

mr_X said:
I like them so far. I think you'll be happy.

I think so! Carey seems to like them and so does hpballer. I'm excited to get them! I think I'm gonna order my protein skimmer and my power heads today too

The BM 180EX? that is a great skimmer for your tank!

Can I steal you for a sec X? LOL Sorry to hijack here but I'm stuck.
I need a skimmer for my 60g cube but am coming up empty. The magus ones I have saved on ebay are all way way too big for this tank. Plus I'm working with a 10g sump.

Any suggestions? I'm really kinda stymied on this, not sure how big is too big and if the nac3 or 3.5 is looking kinda small to me....

SORRY CAitlynn for stealing Mr X! LOL

carey said:
Can I steal you for a sec X? LOL Sorry to hijack here but I'm stuck.
I need a skimmer for my 60g cube but am coming up empty. The magus ones I have saved on ebay are all way way too big for this tank. Plus I'm working with a 10g sump.

Any suggestions? I'm really kinda stymied on this, not sure how big is too big and if the nac3 or 3.5 is looking kinda small to me....

SORRY CAitlynn for stealing Mr X! LOL

That's quite ok! He's a wealth of knowledge and very helpful! I'm hoping that skimmer I picked is correct. I wanna order today!

Hey question for you carey. You said bulk buy the 6th correct? I'm excited to get my RODI! Should I order extra filter stuff for it or will it last long enough that I can wait? And do you know if you get a discount on stuff like the Refractometer?

Yes, that skimmer will also work well. I am using the BM 180 EX on my system (300+ gallons) at the moment and love it.

Carey, what about the NAC6 or 7?

mr_X said:
Yes, that skimmer will also work well. I am using the BM 180 EX on my system (300+ gallons) at the moment and love it.

Carey, what about the NAC6 or 7?

I went with the one your using that you like. It was only 20 more on eBay. It's officially ordered!

I was looking at the 7 but the 180ex is right around the same price I believe. I would love to have that one on my 125g. Just means i would have to dismantle the refugium to get it in the sump BUT then I could use the eshopps on the 60g.

Which would you do X? Replace the 125g skimmer and loose the fuge or just get a smaller skimmer for the 60g?

As far as ro filters you will be fine for at least 6-9 months without worrying about changing them. :)

carey said:
I was looking at the 7 but the 180ex is right around the same price I believe. I would love to have that one on my 125g. Just means i would have to dismantle the refugium to get it in the sump BUT then I could use the eshopps on the 60g.

Which would you do X? Replace the 125g skimmer and loose the fuge or just get a smaller skimmer for the 60g?

As far as ro filters you will be fine for at least 6-9 months without worrying about changing them. :)

Awesome! My 180ex is ordered! I'm excited! I hope it will work for you if you decide to get that one!

Do you know if they discount the power heads durring the bulk buy. I found them $5 cheaper on amazon with free shipping but if they go on sale with the bulk buy I'll get them then

Ok so as of now my lights and protein skimmer are ordered. I have 2 LED light panels and a BM180EX protein skimmer on its way!

Now my questions! I know I posted them above but it's much nicer having them all together.

1) are power heads discounted durring bulk buy?
2) what about Refractometer?
3) which float valve do I need to buy? The adjustable or the normal
4) thermometer, which one/kind?
5) carey I have 6 months or more for filter replacements, which ones should I buy? And how often?
6) API saltwater rest kit? Is that good?
7) The salifert test kits, which ones do I need?
8) what watt heaters should I be looking for
9) do I need a heater for water changes?

I know I don't need all this now just trying to get ideas! Thanks!!!

Back
Top Bottom