Caitlynn's 75 gallon reef build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
looks like a bargain. hopefully, he didn't use any copper based meds while the tank was running. I would give it a shot. Ask him about the copper.

mr_X said:
looks like a bargain. hopefully, he didn't use any copper based meds while the tank was running. I would give it a shot. Ask him about the copper.

Will do mr x thanks! I'll probably get 100lbs if I do. Idk yet though. It depends on if I have enough money to do that and get my RODI. I'll have to see.

mr_X said:
Don't forget to bring a bathroom scale or something similar with you.

Looks like I'll have to get one unless they have one to prove its 100lbs. I arranged money so if this good with no copper I'll be all set! Definitely will make sure it's 100lbs and make sure there was no copper based stuff used.

Just curious why does that matter?

I emailed waiting on a response

The copper stays in the rock and leaches out over time. It will be impossible for you to keep invertebrates if enough copper is present.

mr_X said:
The copper stays in the rock and leaches out over time. It will be impossible for you to keep invertebrates if enough copper is present.

Good to know! Thanks! I definitely want inverts. :)

Ok so as of now my lights and protein skimmer are ordered. I have 2 LED light panels and a BM180EX protein skimmer on its way!

Now my questions! I know I posted them above but it's much nicer having them all together.

1) are power heads discounted durring bulk buy?
2) what about Refractometer?
3) which float valve do I need to buy? The adjustable or the normal
4) thermometer, which one/kind?
5) carey I have 6 months or more for filter replacements, which ones should I buy? And how often?
6) API saltwater rest kit? Is that good?
7) The salifert test kits, which ones do I need?
8) what watt heaters should I be looking for
9) do I need a heater for water changes?

I know I don't need all this now just trying to get ideas! Thanks!!!

Not sure caitlynn about the powerheads, if I remember correctly it might be a buck or two cheaper. BRS also sells the replacement filters for the ro/di unit, you would get the same ones that come with it originally. The refractometer is probably cheaper at marinedepot.com, check them out too. I use a regular walmart thermometer with the little suction cup, they are only about 1.96$ each so I generally get a couple just in case. lol
API saltwater kit is the first kit you will need and the most important.
I use salifert tests for: calcium, phosphate,magnesium and alkalinity. Those you won't be testing for a while so you can get them when you need to. I find the API tests for those 4 things are very hard to read and inaccurate in comparison to the saliferts. :-D
The heaters can be say 200watt or 150 each, the higher the wattage usually the longer the heater. lol And yep, you'll need aheater for the storage can of water and a cheap powerhead.

Oh, and Mr X I am using a psk 150 on the 125g now. It works really really well too. Almost hate to swap em but if you think it's a good idea then I may do it. :)

And continued thanks caitlynn for letting me barge in on your thread. LOL

I don't know for sure without knowing what pump they use, but from the image on the eshoppes website, size of the reaction chamber, lack of bubble plate..etc. it seems to be a considerable upgrade. Certainly from the manufacturers recommended water volume it is, but you can't go by that.

carey said:
Not sure caitlynn about the powerheads, if I remember correctly it might be a buck or two cheaper. BRS also sells the replacement filters for the ro/di unit, you would get the same ones that come with it originally. The refractometer is probably cheaper at marinedepot.com, check them out too. I use a regular walmart thermometer with the little suction cup, they are only about 1.96$ each so I generally get a couple just in case. lol
API saltwater kit is the first kit you will need and the most important.
I use salifert tests for: calcium, phosphate,magnesium and alkalinity. Those you won't be testing for a while so you can get them when you need to. I find the API tests for those 4 things are very hard to read and inaccurate in comparison to the saliferts. :-D
The heaters can be say 200watt or 150 each, the higher the wattage usually the longer the heater. lol And yep, you'll need aheater for the storage can of water and a cheap powerhead.

Ok sounds good! If they aren't any cheaper from the bulk buy I'll probably get then from amazon.

The thermometer I can do! I just found I digital one I thought was cool.

The powearhead for the supply water? What's that for? And the heater I get to mix salt and temp match but the powearhead? Does it need to be running all the time? The heater what size?

Thanks Carey!!

Do you know if I can use my freshwater test kit and just order the right cards for it for salt?
I think so but idk? Thanks!

When you mix salt water you can use a power head to mix it overnight. :) Nothing special, I user an old koralia 750 I had lying around. I only out my heater and power head in the can when i am going to be mixing salt water. I usually keep regular ro/di unsalted water in it.

Yep, you can use the freshwater kit for the basics, the colors are a little off from freshwater but you can still tell. If theres any green in the ammonia test then you have ammonia. Nitrites are purple and light blue is no nitrites. Nitrates are the same pretty much, if there is red then you need to do a water change. LOL

carey said:
When you mix salt water you can use a power head to mix it overnight. :) Nothing special, I user an old koralia 750 I had lying around. I only out my heater and power head in the can when i am going to be mixing salt water. I usually keep regular ro/di unsalted water in it.

Yep, you can use the freshwater kit for the basics, the colors are a little off from freshwater but you can still tell. If theres any green in the ammonia test then you have ammonia. Nitrites are purple and light blue is no nitrites. Nitrates are the same pretty much, if there is red then you need to do a water change. LOL

Makes sense! For the fill you'll be doing the mixing in my 32 brute but after that I'll be making 5 gallon buckets at a time. How long does it usually take to mix? And since It will be a 5 gallon after the larger fill up what size should I get of a heat for there? And the 750 powearhead, is that to big for my 5 gallon bucket. What size bucket do you use for a water change?

caitlynnanne9189 said:

Well I talked to the guy no copper based stuff was used, it was in a reef tank. He's fine with me bringing a scale to measure it.
My only thought is this. Is 2 a lb worth it?

From reef rocks, a 50lb box is 85 do if I bought 100lbs that would be 170 shipped.

This will be 200 for 100lbs.

What do you guts think??

I just emailed him with the details of the order and asked if he would be willing to do 1.50 a lb. of it was live that would be a deferent story but it's pretty much base rock I can buy from reef rocks for $30 cheaper.

Well good news. Talked to the guy and am going there on Sunday to look at the rock and make sure it's good :)

I am also looking at refractometers. Carey told me to check out marine depot and I found this one.

http://www.marinedepot.com/Marine_D...quariums-Marine_Depot-MD2101-FITEOPRF-vi.html

But I think I like this one from BRS better. And it comes with the calibration fluid. What do you all think?

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/refractometer-for-reading-salinity-w-free-calibration-fluid.html

caitlynnanne9189 said:
Well good news. Talked to the guy and am going there on Sunday to look at the rock and make sure it's good :)

I am also looking at refractometers. Carey told me to check out marine depot and I found this one.

http://www.marinedepot.com/Marine_Depot_Aquarium_Refractometer_Refractometers_for_Saltwater_Aquariums-Marine_Depot-MD2101-FITEOPRF-vi.html

But I think I like this one from BRS better. And it comes with the calibration fluid. What do you all think?

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/refractometer-for-reading-salinity-w-free-calibration-fluid.html

get the brs one. Calibration fluid is invaluable.

Back
Top Bottom