Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-17-2012, 12:15 AM   #341
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey
You wont need to test for calcium, alkalinity and phosphates til you get going for a while. I would also suggest NOT using API testers for alkalinity, phosphates, calcium and magnesium. I use salifert tests for those since you really really need accurate readings.

I started with regular old instant ocean salt. It's cheapo and does the job. After I had some corals though I started using instant ocean reef crystals. Salt is pretty much up to you and which one you prefer.

Live sand isnt needed, just a waste of money in my opinion. There cant be much "alive" in a sealed bag. lol

As far as a refugium, what do you have planned for the sump? Are you making one or buying one? Here is a sump with refugium in it, BUT the skimmer chamber is small.

Eshopps Refugium R-100, 75-125g, 2nd Generation - AquaCave.com
lol it's almost the same dimensions as a 20H. You could replicate that exact sump for about $70

Old 02-17-2012, 12:18 AM   #342
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I just wanted her to see the sump and it's compartments. I am making my own sump for my 60g and it helps me to see what the premade ones look like.

Old 02-17-2012, 12:22 AM   #343
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I just wanted her to see the sump and it's compartments. I am making my own sump for my 60g and it helps me to see what the premade ones look like.
Lol I think I'm going to make that sump you have for your 125g. I checked how much 1/4" plexiglass costs at my Lowes and it's $10 for a 24"x12" sheet for 2 sheets. And if I can get a 20H for under $30 then I can build that sump for $50 since I've got the silicone. It's amazing how much DIY saves you.....
Old 02-17-2012, 12:28 AM   #344
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Your salt mix is the main way you get trace elements and other needed things into your tank. Doing a weekly water change will give you everything your fish and corals will need. It's when you don't do water changes that you end up getting into dosing specific chemicals and having to watch everything. water changes cure so many issues it's not funny. lol

If you are making your own sump then you can easily add a section for the refugium. I have mine setup from left to right: input hose from overflow with filter sock and the skimmer, next compartment is my fuge and the third is for the return pump. You want your skimmer to be before the fuge btw.
Not sure when the next $1 a gallon sale is, they just had one about a month ago. Check out craigslist for one, you could get lucky.
Have been checking every day! The girl at petco said to check back on the 21st. She thinks that's the next one so I'm hoping!!

So I really should use the reef crystals once I have corals and! Of corse pwcs!
Old 02-17-2012, 12:28 AM   #345
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahim

lol it's almost the same dimensions as a 20H. You could replicate that exact sump for about $70
That's my plans but with a 20 long!
Old 02-17-2012, 12:29 AM   #346
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
It is helpful!
Old 02-17-2012, 12:30 AM   #347
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahim

Lol I think I'm going to make that sump you have for your 125g. I checked how much 1/4" plexiglass costs at my Lowes and it's $10 for a 24"x12" sheet for 2 sheets. And if I can get a 20H for under $30 then I can build that sump for $50 since I've got the silicone. It's amazing how much DIY saves you.....
I was amazed at how easy it is to make and how much cheaper it is!
Old 02-17-2012, 01:05 AM   #348
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by caitlynnanne9189 View Post
Here's the buying idea what do you think?

1) 2 LED light panels
2) Bubble magus protein skimmer
3) Quiet One 3000 return pump
4) 2 koralia 1400
Very nice list!

Quote:
Do I need a heater or chiller?
Probably not a chiller, unless it gets like 84ish+ routinely in your house. Heater, definitely. Get at least two in case one goes out. Several smaller ones is infinitely better than one large one.

Quote:
I have a API master FW kit that I'm going to order the color chart for SW for. Do I need the master reef kit?
Can you do that? Does it have the same ranges (like high range pH)? I dunno if they are the same tests.. someone else would know that answer better than me.

Quote:
I know I need salt, what do you guys prefer? I saw instant ocean crystals that says its good for a reef cuz it has special nutrients in it. Is this good?
IO is really good, IMO. Everyone will have their own opinions on their favorite brand of salt. I've used reef crystals since I first started and my transition to keeping corals was flawless. But you could just use the regular stuff, it's a little bit cheaper.

Quote:
Do I need live sand? I know I need live rock but do I need like sand too?
You don't 'need' live anything. It will become live during your cycling process.

Quote:
Thinking of adding a Refigum into the sump do I need anything special to do this?
What do you want in there? You'll need a light. I am using a 26W 6500k compact fluorescent, and a clip on light fixture.

EDIT| Some more things to think about. A dedicated water mixing container. A small pump and heater for that. Do you have an RO/DI water filter or plan on buying RO/DI water? Sump plumbing.. PVC or tubing?
scottayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:07 AM   #349
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottayy

Very nice list!

Probably not a chiller, unless it gets like 84ish+ routinely in your house. Heater, definitely. Get at least two in case one goes out. Several smaller ones is infinitely better than one large one.

Can you do that? Does it have the same ranges (like high range pH)? I dunno if they are the same tests.. someone else would know that answer better than me.

IO is really good, IMO. Everyone will have their own opinions on their favorite brand of salt. I've used reef crystals since I first started and my transition to keeping corals was flawless. But you could just use the regular stuff, it's a little bit cheaper.

You don't 'need' live anything. It will become live during your cycling process.

What do you want in there? You'll need a light. I am using a 26W 6500k compact fluorescent, and a clip on light fixture.

EDIT| Some more things to think about. A dedicated water mixing container. A small pump and heater for that. Do you have an RO/DI water filter or plan on buying RO/DI water? Sump plumbing.. PVC or tubing?
Thanks! After posting my shopping list I totally forgot about the RODI system. That will be one of my first buys along with the lights and the skimmer. I'll save the smaller stuff for when I have extra money. My income tax will take care of those 3 and maybe a lil left over so I might get a little more. I'm looking into finding container to store the water cuz its going to have to be a good durable thing because it will have to be on my patio and I want the water to still be safe even after sitting in the Florida sun. I'm thinking a brute but the 64 is jus to large So idk. I want it to be food grade. I'll do more research I guess
Old 02-17-2012, 10:51 AM   #350
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Guys for my RODI which is needed?

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/...us-system.html

OR

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/...xe-system.html

Tags
5 gallon, 75 gallon, build, reef, reef build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com