Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 01-31-2012, 05:16 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
mr_X's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Fairless Hills, Pa.
Posts: 17,895
Send a message via MSN to mr_X
It's easy to do yourself. If you drill it yourself though, you are going to have a 1.5" pipe behind the tank. It will force you to have the tank further from the wall. Is that ok?
__________________

__________________
thanks,
Doug
mr_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:24 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
carey's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Deltona, Florida
Posts: 20,962
Ahh I see. What cities do you search on craigslist? I know tampa is ALWAYS full of great setups. i search like 4 different cities all within an an hour and a half. You might need to extend your search area.

Whats kinda funny is I have a 75g tank and a metal halide fixture for sale. Just don't have the stand. It's also not drilled. :-( If you are interested in my tank and light send me a pm.

BUT back on topic. Yep, keep an eye out for the 75g, it may take a few weeks to find the perfect setup. i know it's exciting and all but take your time and don't settle on anything that you might regret.
You can post potential setups here and people will chime in to help.

The most important things to look for in a setup are:
Clean and seals are all good in the tank. No major scratches or anything like that. make sure the stand is sturdy and check for bowing to make sure ots still structally sound.
Then when you ask about equipment you are looking for brand and type like a aquaticlife T5 6 bulb light. Same with a skimmer, get make and model if you can.
You'll soon be able to spot a good deal on CL once you get a handle on everything you are gonna need.
__________________

__________________
180g Reef - 60g Rimless Reef -90G FOWLR- 125g Malawi Cichlids- 40b REEF- 34g Fresh Planted-working on- 20L FOWLR- working on
I have a mix of many different saltwater fish amongst my tanks, but I love my Tangs most of all.
carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:33 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
caitlynnanne9189's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by carey
Ahh I see. What cities do you search on craigslist? I know tampa is ALWAYS full of great setups. i search like 4 different cities all within an an hour and a half. You might need to extend your search area.

Whats kinda funny is I have a 75g tank and a metal halide fixture for sale. Just don't have the stand. It's also not drilled. :-( If you are interested in my tank and light send me a pm.

BUT back on topic. Yep, keep an eye out for the 75g, it may take a few weeks to find the perfect setup. i know it's exciting and all but take your time and don't settle on anything that you might regret.
You can post potential setups here and people will chime in to help.

The most important things to look for in a setup are:
Clean and seals are all good in the tank. No major scratches or anything like that. make sure the stand is sturdy and check for bowing to make sure ots still structally sound.
Then when you ask about equipment you are looking for brand and type like a aquaticlife T5 6 bulb light. Same with a skimmer, get make and model if you can.
You'll soon be able to spot a good deal on CL once you get a handle on everything you are gonna need.
Well the guy with the 55 for 180 just wrote saying he has it but now I'm u sure cuz if the extra inches in width from the 75. I really just check Miami. I gotta figure out how to check up north too cuz I don't mind driving like an hour but more than that and it's to much in gas. I'll definitely make sure I keep looking for things! I think my hardest thing I'm finding is either a finding a tank thats not set up and running because I want to have the right stuff before its running and b a stand lol. I gotta find one if those! I'll think about though thanks!
__________________
caitlynnanne9189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:35 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
caitlynnanne9189's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X
It's easy to do yourself. If you drill it yourself though, you are going to have a 1.5" pipe behind the tank. It will force you to have the tank further from the wall. Is that ok?
I suppose it could be ok. I'm gonna go measure the space I have. I really shouldn't go with a 55 if I can get a good deal on tank and stand? It's so tempting! But I also want to be patient cuz I want to do it right!

Also drilling makes me nervous! Should it? And is it hard to do yourself! I got the site cary posted for the tool
__________________
caitlynnanne9189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:42 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
carey's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Deltona, Florida
Posts: 20,962
I would pass on the 55g. i know its hard, but there will be a better one soon enough. You'll kick yourself later once its setup and you run out of room for everything. LOL

I hear drilling is actually easy. BUT I wouldnt do it myself that's for sure. I'd be too paranoid.

If you need something to keep you busy while youre searching for that 75g you can start buying the small things to keep you busy.

You'll need a refractometer to test salinity, test kits, salt and sand most likely. Not sure what your budget is like but an ro/di water unit is a great investment. Your tank and fishies will thank you! There are ro/di units for like $65 on ebay. i use one myself and I use like 100 gallons a week between all my tanks. Not one has an algae issue or has ever had one.
__________________
180g Reef - 60g Rimless Reef -90G FOWLR- 125g Malawi Cichlids- 40b REEF- 34g Fresh Planted-working on- 20L FOWLR- working on
I have a mix of many different saltwater fish amongst my tanks, but I love my Tangs most of all.
carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:46 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
caitlynnanne9189's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by carey
I would pass on the 55g. i know its hard, but there will be a better one soon enough. You'll kick yourself later once its setup and you run out of room for everything. LOL

I hear drilling is actually easy. BUT I wouldnt do it myself that's for sure. I'd be too paranoid.

If you need something to keep you busy while youre searching for that 75g you can start buying the small things to keep you busy.

You'll need a refractometer to test salinity, test kits, salt and sand most likely. Not sure what your budget is like but an ro/di water unit is a great investment. Your tank and fishies will thank you! There are ro/di units for like $65 on ebay. i use one myself and I use like 100 gallons a week between all my tanks. Not one has an algae issue or has ever had one.
Honestly I didn't set a budget cuz I just wanted to do it piece by piece and just buy what I can afford and the wait till I can afford the next part. I really want it to be an investment that I'm going to enjoy so I'm fine with taking my time. I'm gonna keep looking on CL and then just see what happens. Hope I find something. I'm a bit scared to drill the tank myself. I mean I guess I could try it but the idea worries me. Theresa great reef store about 20 mins from my house I may go there and see what they have for tanks that are as mr x said reef ready just to see what it's supposed to look like.
__________________
caitlynnanne9189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:50 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
mr_X's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Fairless Hills, Pa.
Posts: 17,895
Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Drilling a tank is a joke. After you do it you'll laugh at how simple it was.
__________________
thanks,
Doug
mr_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:52 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Nu-Nu the eel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: So Cal
Posts: 5,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by caitlynnanne9189

Honestly I didn't set a budget cuz I just wanted to do it piece by piece and just buy what I can afford and the wait till I can afford the next part. I really want it to be an investment that I'm going to enjoy so I'm fine with taking my time. I'm gonna keep looking on CL and then just see what happens. Hope I find something. I'm a bit scared to drill the tank myself. I mean I guess I could try it but the idea worries me. Theresa great reef store about 20 mins from my house I may go there and see what they have for tanks that are as mr x said reef ready just to see what it's supposed to look like.
Very smart to take it slow!! You hear about people all the time who just throw fish in their reef 2 weeks later and it always goes bad. For my brother and i we had about 3 months to think about EVERY little detail and the stock and everything just to make sure once we get started things will go smoothly. I really think waiting and taking it slow is a good idea for the first salt tank, and it gives you time to afford it, think about everything, and you wont be buying another tank for a while!! Lol good luck
__________________
Nu-Nu the eel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:01 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
caitlynnanne9189's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X
Drilling a tank is a joke. After you do it you'll laugh at how simple it was.
Is it really that easy? What would I need a drill or something? I kinda wanna try it. I think everything will fit in my space even if I have to pull it out a few inches
__________________
caitlynnanne9189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:05 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
caitlynnanne9189's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-Nu the eel

Very smart to take it slow!! You hear about people all the time who just throw fish in their reef 2 weeks later and it always goes bad. For my brother and i we had about 3 months to think about EVERY little detail and the stock and everything just to make sure once we get started things will go smoothly. I really think waiting and taking it slow is a good idea for the first salt tank, and it gives you time to afford it, think about everything, and you wont be buying another tank for a while!! Lol good luck
I am definitely taking it slow it may take me about 6 months to afford all the stuff just to set it up but I'm ok with that cuz I want to make sure I do it correctly! I'm gonna keep looking for that 75 that I want.
__________________

__________________
caitlynnanne9189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
5 gallon, 75 gallon, build, reef, reef build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
40 Gallon Breeder Reef/ Stand Build!! Freshnoob1 DIY Projects 31 03-06-2012 10:14 PM
125 gallon reef build... from the beginning lovemyreef Saltwater Reef Aquaria 5 02-05-2012 12:16 PM
55 gallon reef - First Saltwater Build Ever! matthewh133 Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 200 11-28-2011 03:26 AM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.