Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-31-2012, 05:16 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
It's easy to do yourself. If you drill it yourself though, you are going to have a 1.5" pipe behind the tank. It will force you to have the tank further from the wall. Is that ok?

Old 01-31-2012, 05:24 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Ahh I see. What cities do you search on craigslist? I know tampa is ALWAYS full of great setups. i search like 4 different cities all within an an hour and a half. You might need to extend your search area.

Whats kinda funny is I have a 75g tank and a metal halide fixture for sale. Just don't have the stand. It's also not drilled. :-( If you are interested in my tank and light send me a pm.

BUT back on topic. Yep, keep an eye out for the 75g, it may take a few weeks to find the perfect setup. i know it's exciting and all but take your time and don't settle on anything that you might regret.
You can post potential setups here and people will chime in to help.

The most important things to look for in a setup are:
Clean and seals are all good in the tank. No major scratches or anything like that. make sure the stand is sturdy and check for bowing to make sure ots still structally sound.
Then when you ask about equipment you are looking for brand and type like a aquaticlife T5 6 bulb light. Same with a skimmer, get make and model if you can.
You'll soon be able to spot a good deal on CL once you get a handle on everything you are gonna need.

Old 01-31-2012, 05:33 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey
Ahh I see. What cities do you search on craigslist? I know tampa is ALWAYS full of great setups. i search like 4 different cities all within an an hour and a half. You might need to extend your search area.

Whats kinda funny is I have a 75g tank and a metal halide fixture for sale. Just don't have the stand. It's also not drilled. :-( If you are interested in my tank and light send me a pm.

BUT back on topic. Yep, keep an eye out for the 75g, it may take a few weeks to find the perfect setup. i know it's exciting and all but take your time and don't settle on anything that you might regret.
You can post potential setups here and people will chime in to help.

The most important things to look for in a setup are:
Clean and seals are all good in the tank. No major scratches or anything like that. make sure the stand is sturdy and check for bowing to make sure ots still structally sound.
Then when you ask about equipment you are looking for brand and type like a aquaticlife T5 6 bulb light. Same with a skimmer, get make and model if you can.
You'll soon be able to spot a good deal on CL once you get a handle on everything you are gonna need.
Well the guy with the 55 for 180 just wrote saying he has it but now I'm u sure cuz if the extra inches in width from the 75. I really just check Miami. I gotta figure out how to check up north too cuz I don't mind driving like an hour but more than that and it's to much in gas. I'll definitely make sure I keep looking for things! I think my hardest thing I'm finding is either a finding a tank thats not set up and running because I want to have the right stuff before its running and b a stand lol. I gotta find one if those! I'll think about though thanks!
Old 01-31-2012, 05:35 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X
It's easy to do yourself. If you drill it yourself though, you are going to have a 1.5" pipe behind the tank. It will force you to have the tank further from the wall. Is that ok?
I suppose it could be ok. I'm gonna go measure the space I have. I really shouldn't go with a 55 if I can get a good deal on tank and stand? It's so tempting! But I also want to be patient cuz I want to do it right!

Also drilling makes me nervous! Should it? And is it hard to do yourself! I got the site cary posted for the tool
Old 01-31-2012, 05:42 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I would pass on the 55g. i know its hard, but there will be a better one soon enough. You'll kick yourself later once its setup and you run out of room for everything. LOL

I hear drilling is actually easy. BUT I wouldnt do it myself that's for sure. I'd be too paranoid.

If you need something to keep you busy while youre searching for that 75g you can start buying the small things to keep you busy.

You'll need a refractometer to test salinity, test kits, salt and sand most likely. Not sure what your budget is like but an ro/di water unit is a great investment. Your tank and fishies will thank you! There are ro/di units for like $65 on ebay. i use one myself and I use like 100 gallons a week between all my tanks. Not one has an algae issue or has ever had one.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:46 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey
I would pass on the 55g. i know its hard, but there will be a better one soon enough. You'll kick yourself later once its setup and you run out of room for everything. LOL

I hear drilling is actually easy. BUT I wouldnt do it myself that's for sure. I'd be too paranoid.

If you need something to keep you busy while youre searching for that 75g you can start buying the small things to keep you busy.

You'll need a refractometer to test salinity, test kits, salt and sand most likely. Not sure what your budget is like but an ro/di water unit is a great investment. Your tank and fishies will thank you! There are ro/di units for like $65 on ebay. i use one myself and I use like 100 gallons a week between all my tanks. Not one has an algae issue or has ever had one.
Honestly I didn't set a budget cuz I just wanted to do it piece by piece and just buy what I can afford and the wait till I can afford the next part. I really want it to be an investment that I'm going to enjoy so I'm fine with taking my time. I'm gonna keep looking on CL and then just see what happens. Hope I find something. I'm a bit scared to drill the tank myself. I mean I guess I could try it but the idea worries me. Theresa great reef store about 20 mins from my house I may go there and see what they have for tanks that are as mr x said reef ready just to see what it's supposed to look like.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:50 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Drilling a tank is a joke. After you do it you'll laugh at how simple it was.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:52 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by caitlynnanne9189

Honestly I didn't set a budget cuz I just wanted to do it piece by piece and just buy what I can afford and the wait till I can afford the next part. I really want it to be an investment that I'm going to enjoy so I'm fine with taking my time. I'm gonna keep looking on CL and then just see what happens. Hope I find something. I'm a bit scared to drill the tank myself. I mean I guess I could try it but the idea worries me. Theresa great reef store about 20 mins from my house I may go there and see what they have for tanks that are as mr x said reef ready just to see what it's supposed to look like.
Very smart to take it slow!! You hear about people all the time who just throw fish in their reef 2 weeks later and it always goes bad. For my brother and i we had about 3 months to think about EVERY little detail and the stock and everything just to make sure once we get started things will go smoothly. I really think waiting and taking it slow is a good idea for the first salt tank, and it gives you time to afford it, think about everything, and you wont be buying another tank for a while!! Lol good luck
Old 01-31-2012, 06:01 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X
Drilling a tank is a joke. After you do it you'll laugh at how simple it was.
Is it really that easy? What would I need a drill or something? I kinda wanna try it. I think everything will fit in my space even if I have to pull it out a few inches
Old 01-31-2012, 06:05 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-Nu the eel

Very smart to take it slow!! You hear about people all the time who just throw fish in their reef 2 weeks later and it always goes bad. For my brother and i we had about 3 months to think about EVERY little detail and the stock and everything just to make sure once we get started things will go smoothly. I really think waiting and taking it slow is a good idea for the first salt tank, and it gives you time to afford it, think about everything, and you wont be buying another tank for a while!! Lol good luck
I am definitely taking it slow it may take me about 6 months to afford all the stuff just to set it up but I'm ok with that cuz I want to make sure I do it correctly! I'm gonna keep looking for that 75 that I want.

Tags
5 gallon, 75 gallon, build, reef, reef build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com