Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-20-2012, 11:58 PM   #461
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey
It all sounds good. Pom poms are really awesome, but again, they are very tiny. I had one in my 4g pico tank and barely saw her. lol

As far as snails and hermits, get what you like. They are basically there for looks and a little bit for function. don't feel that you MUST have a ton of snails and hermits to keep your tank clean. Sometimes less is more.

I just got my first urchin a few weeks ago and he's really great. Goes around the tank with hermit shells on him. lol They are known to knock over corals and stuff though, that's why I waited for a fowlr to get one.
Awe :/ he says reef safe that's why I picked him! I love the Pom pom he's cool! Is he to small? I guess I like the small guys lol. Could I still get one or too small for my tank?

Could I do two emerald crabs instead or is there fighting issues? I also liked these guys but the need an SPS coral. What do you think of the Trapezia Pocillopora if I get a coral for them?

Snails I don't like so I'm gonna pass on them then. The hermit crabs are just cool lol

Now if I do just banded shrimp will I be ok? And can I do multiple or will they fight?

Old 02-21-2012, 12:02 AM   #462
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Only can keep a single coral banded unless its a mated pair, :-(. The pom poms are probably too small for a 75g. And sure you could get an extra emerald crab or two, they are great. they do a little dance on the front glass for me sometimes lol

The only concern with hermits is that they will kill each other for shells. If you put some empty shells in the tank with them it might stop some of the killing but you'll still have a few that will just kill for the shell, try it on then abandon it. Some hermits are just stupid. lol

Old 02-21-2012, 12:10 AM   #463
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey
Only can keep a single coral banded unless its a mated pair, :-(. The pom poms are probably too small for a 75g. And sure you could get an extra emerald crab or two, they are great. they do a little dance on the front glass for me sometimes lol

The only concern with hermits is that they will kill each other for shells. If you put some empty shells in the tank with them it might stop some of the killing but you'll still have a few that will just kill for the shell, try it on then abandon it. Some hermits are just stupid. lol
Haha like little bully's who only want it because the other kid has it! To funny! Well I'm I'm with just getting one. I may just get the electric blue hermit then and get a few emerald crabs.

now I really do like the banded coral shrimp so maybe I'll just get the one and be happy unless I can find a mated pair?

Idk what everyone is saying about the price difference unless I'm crazy. the banded are cheaper on live aquaria

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...698&pcatid=698

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...697&pcatid=697
Old 02-21-2012, 12:29 AM   #464
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I think the pick on live aquaria is bad of the cleaner shrimp. I like them better after looking at other pics on google. I may skip the banded just to be able to have multiples.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:57 AM   #465
Aquarium Advice Addict

IMO the snails provide such an invaluable service!
microalgae haze would need to be cleaned very often without snails
scottayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:03 PM   #466
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottayy
IMO the snails provide such an invaluable service!
microalgae haze would need to be cleaned very often without snails
What kind of snails do you suggest then? I like the bumble bee snails on live aquaria but Carey said they were too small. And how many?

My concern is I want the hermit crabs so are they going to get killed? The snails I mean.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:14 PM   #467
Aquarium Advice Addict

Are they large hermit crabs? I had a large one that picked apart snails and ate them.

I don't really know much about snails. I just have dwarf ceriths, ceriths, nasarius (spelling?), and astrea.

I have way too many.
scottayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:24 PM   #468
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottayy
Are they large hermit crabs? I had a large one that picked apart snails and ate them.

I don't really know much about snails. I just have dwarf ceriths, ceriths, nasarius (spelling?), and astrea.

I have way too many.
Hum ok. They are the electric blue hermit crabs. Idk if they are considered large.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:56 PM   #469
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Did the second coat of varnish today. Got one more coat to go and then the stand will be all done! Yay! I'll be water testing the tank as soon as I have the stand complete! I wanted to try and get rid of the gunk stuck to the overflow. I tried just laying a paper towel soaked in vinager on it and then scrubbing it off but it wouldn't work. I bought a large thing of vinager from Costco. How much vinager to water should I use? It's going to be sitting for a week. The bottle is 1.13 gallons I believe. How many do I need?
Old 02-21-2012, 07:15 PM   #470
Aquarium Advice Addict

You need about 40g of it lol. Rule is 1/2 water 1/2 vinegar for 24-72hrs

Tags
5 gallon, 75 gallon, build, reef, reef build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com