Caitlynn's 75 gallon reef build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
carey said:
Thats a wet dry unit, you dont want one of them for a reef tank. :)

Anything with bioballs is not what youre looking for. Keep in mind you have to fit a skimmer which averages about 10 X 8 inches and a return pump which will be at least 4 inches.

If you see one that looks like a tank with compartments then you've found what you need.

Ok perfect thanks!

Haha I'm getting the hang of this I think. Look what I found and the person won't go below 400 ha! That's way to high it's tank and stand only!

http://treasure.craigslist.org/for/2829713511.html

Ok so a flat out told them their crazy and I've found way better deals and he's saying 300 and will throw in a coral light. It's not drilled but says the glass is not tempered so I can drill it. What do y'all think?

Ok, that tank setup is SOO not worth $400. I don't even think I'd buy it for $200. Looks rough.

You've got the right idea with the sump now, but the 2nd link isn't what I would buy. I wish I could draw you a picture. hehe... Just took a picture of my homemade sump for you. The left compartment has the filter sock thats for mechanical filtration, to get the big gunks of yuck out. You would change the filter sock every couple days or so probably. The center section in the below picture has the protein skimmer and my gfo reactor. You have to get a skimmer that will fit in the big compartment. The compartment on the right is where I have my return pump. Pumps on average are about 5 inches wide so that compartment will also have to fit with the pump.
In my 125g reef my eshopps skimmer barely fits, it has to be tilted to fit. So that's real important, to get an idea of how much sump room you have for the skimmer and then get the biggest skimmer that will fit in that you can afford.

you can keep posting stuff you find, us guys will let you know when you find gold. LOL

I've been lucky getting first crack at stuff on CL, I downloaded an app for it on my phone and based on my search terms it automatically can notify you when something gets listed :-D
I use the following searches and cover everything:
Aquarium
fish
led
sump
skimmer
live rock
rimless
biocube
nano
saltwater
reef
t5

these search words are awesome at getting listings that others may miss. Just a matter of timing. :)

img_1777052_0_d2ecb334422aad9c71dcefc1d6f7cf71.jpg

Last edited:
carey said:
Ok, that tank setup is SOO not worth $400. I don't even think I'd buy it for $200. Looks rough.

You've got the right idea with the sump now, but the 2nd link isn't what I would buy. I wish I could draw you a picture. hehe... Just took a picture of my homemade sump for you. The left compartment has the filter sock thats for mechanical filtration, to get the big gunks of yuck out. You would change the filter sock every couple days or so probably. The center section in the below picture has the protein skimmer and my gfo reactor. You have to get a skimmer that will fit in the big compartment. The compartment on the right is where I have my return pump. Pumps on average are about 5 inches wide so that compartment will also have to fit with the pump.
In my 125g reef my eshopps skimmer barely fits, it has to be tilted to fit. So that's real important, to get an idea of how much sump room you have for the skimmer and then get the biggest skimmer that will fit in that you can afford.

you can keep posting stuff you find, us guys will let you know when you find gold. LOL

I've been lucky getting first crack at stuff on CL, I downloaded an app for it on my phone and based on my search terms it automatically can notify you when something gets listed :-D
I use the following searches and cover everything:
Aquarium
fish
led
sump
skimmer
live rock
rimless
biocube
nano
saltwater
reef
t5

these search words are awesome at getting listings that others may miss. Just a matter of timing. :)

Thanks so much! You've been really helpful. And so I told the guy with the tank to take a hike and he texted back how about 250. What do you think? I don't mind doing the clean up it so badly needs but I'm just not sure

EDIT: I found a lady with a sump. Tell me what ya think?

No pictures but description

I do still have the sump. It is made by proclear aquatics, model pro150. so it can handle up to a 150 gal tank. The protein skimmer is built into the wet/dry. I don't have any power heads, just the pumps for the protein skimmer and the return pump. I am asking $60 for the sump and $60 for the pumps.

Also found this: I'll offer less but much better than the other one!

http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/for/2829919730.html

I like the last one for $400. looks clean. :) That sump description sounds like a wet dry setup. Those built in skimmers are always horrible! LOL

Now if you could get the guy at $400 down to $250 then it might be cool.

carey said:
I like the last one for $400. looks clean. :) That sump description sounds like a wet dry setup. Those built in skimmers are always horrible! LOL

Now if you could get the guy at $400 down to $250 then it might be cool.

I emailed. I doubt 250 but id be happy with 300 I think lol I emailed and they said idk what drilled is but it's sump ready. What should I think of that. Plus they dk what kind of glass it is. :/

Juts keep searching all those key words and I guarantee you'll get lucky. it's all in timing. gotta look several times a day sometimes to catch stuff before people beat you to it. lol there was a FREE 90g setup this morning in orlando but I didn't check my searches so i missed it.

carey said:
Juts keep searching all those key words and I guarantee you'll get lucky. it's all in timing. gotta look several times a day sometimes to catch stuff before people beat you to it. lol there was a FREE 90g setup this morning in orlando but I didn't check my searches so i missed it.

Oh darn! I mean on the previous page. I posted like 7 links! Lol

caitlynnanne9189 said:
Oh darn! I mean on the previous page. I posted like 7 links! Lol

Lol i saw that. I was like man she really likes craigslist.. Hahaha dont worry, i have the app on my phone and check at least 5 times a day even though i know icant buy anything... Haha

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Lol i saw that. I was like man she really likes craigslist.. Hahaha dont worry, i have the app on my phone and check at least 5 times a day even though i know icant buy anything... Haha

Funny thing is I can't really afford much of it either bit just looking makes me go yippie!! Lol plus tonight it hit me that income tax is coming back soon! Yay to a fishy tank!

caitlynnanne9189 said:
Funny thing is I can't really afford much of it either bit just looking makes me go yippie!! Lol plus tonight it hit me that income tax is coming back soon! Yay to a fishy tank!

Hahaha ya but i get mad when i see a really good deal that i cant buy. Lol, im young.... Whats income tax? Hahah

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Hahaha ya but i get mad when i see a really good deal that i cant buy. Lol, im young.... Whats income tax? Hahah

Oh!!! This will be something your parents do. They get money back at the end if the year and because as they work they have taxes taken out of their pay check and then then can claim expenses like you and your brother that give them money back! It's nice!! I can't wait cuz it will be bye bye income tax. Hello fishy tank!

Well looks so far like I found a winner! The lady says the tank has a whole drilled in the back corner where the over flow is. Is this what I'm looking for by drilled? I'm gonna try to ask 300 for it cuz that's all I have cash till another week but well see. I also asked location since the post dosent say. What do you guys think!

http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/for/2829919730.html

Found out the tank is only like 20 mins from my house! Will be willing to pay the 400 since its gonna save me so much in gas! I got other responses and said yep it's what I'' looking for! Yay!

Now I know next is a sump so in gonna look for that too but in the mean time I found this for lighting. Is this good?

http://www.aquatraders.com/48-inch-3x54W-T5-Aquarium-Light-Digi-Timer-Fixture-p/52315.htm

Back
Top Bottom