Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-29-2012, 06:44 PM   #571
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey

Not sure caitlynn about the powerheads, if I remember correctly it might be a buck or two cheaper. BRS also sells the replacement filters for the ro/di unit, you would get the same ones that come with it originally. The refractometer is probably cheaper at marinedepot.com, check them out too. I use a regular walmart thermometer with the little suction cup, they are only about 1.96$ each so I generally get a couple just in case. lol
API saltwater kit is the first kit you will need and the most important.
I use salifert tests for: calcium, phosphate,magnesium and alkalinity. Those you won't be testing for a while so you can get them when you need to. I find the API tests for those 4 things are very hard to read and inaccurate in comparison to the saliferts.
The heaters can be say 200watt or 150 each, the higher the wattage usually the longer the heater. lol And yep, you'll need aheater for the storage can of water and a cheap powerhead.
Ok sounds good! If they aren't any cheaper from the bulk buy I'll probably get then from amazon.

The thermometer I can do! I just found I digital one I thought was cool.

The powearhead for the supply water? What's that for? And the heater I get to mix salt and temp match but the powearhead? Does it need to be running all the time? The heater what size?

Thanks Carey!!

Do you know if I can use my freshwater test kit and just order the right cards for it for salt?
I think so but idk? Thanks!

Old 02-29-2012, 06:56 PM   #572
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

When you mix salt water you can use a power head to mix it overnight. Nothing special, I user an old koralia 750 I had lying around. I only out my heater and power head in the can when i am going to be mixing salt water. I usually keep regular ro/di unsalted water in it.

Yep, you can use the freshwater kit for the basics, the colors are a little off from freshwater but you can still tell. If theres any green in the ammonia test then you have ammonia. Nitrites are purple and light blue is no nitrites. Nitrates are the same pretty much, if there is red then you need to do a water change. LOL

Old 02-29-2012, 08:38 PM   #573
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey
When you mix salt water you can use a power head to mix it overnight. Nothing special, I user an old koralia 750 I had lying around. I only out my heater and power head in the can when i am going to be mixing salt water. I usually keep regular ro/di unsalted water in it.

Yep, you can use the freshwater kit for the basics, the colors are a little off from freshwater but you can still tell. If theres any green in the ammonia test then you have ammonia. Nitrites are purple and light blue is no nitrites. Nitrates are the same pretty much, if there is red then you need to do a water change. LOL
Makes sense! For the fill you'll be doing the mixing in my 32 brute but after that I'll be making 5 gallon buckets at a time. How long does it usually take to mix? And since It will be a 5 gallon after the larger fill up what size should I get of a heat for there? And the 750 powearhead, is that to big for my 5 gallon bucket. What size bucket do you use for a water change?
Old 02-29-2012, 08:51 PM   #574
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by caitlynnanne9189
Well I talked to the guy no copper based stuff was used, it was in a reef tank. He's fine with me bringing a scale to measure it.
My only thought is this. Is 2 a lb worth it?

From reef rocks, a 50lb box is 85 do if I bought 100lbs that would be 170 shipped.

This will be 200 for 100lbs.

What do you guts think??
Old 02-29-2012, 08:57 PM   #575
Aquarium Advice Addict

Id ask 1.50 per pound or order from reef rocks
Old 02-29-2012, 09:05 PM   #576
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I just emailed him with the details of the order and asked if he would be willing to do 1.50 a lb. of it was live that would be a deferent story but it's pretty much base rock I can buy from reef rocks for $30 cheaper.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:17 PM   #577
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Make sure when you go you pick the lightest, most porous pieces. Don't take any boulder type rocks.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:32 PM   #578
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X
Make sure when you go you pick the lightest, most porous pieces. Don't take any boulder type rocks.
Thanks mr x will do!
Old 03-01-2012, 09:56 AM   #579
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well good news. Talked to the guy and am going there on Sunday to look at the rock and make sure it's good

I am also looking at refractometers. Carey told me to check out marine depot and I found this one.

http://www.marinedepot.com/Marine_De...TEOPRF-vi.html

But I think I like this one from BRS better. And it comes with the calibration fluid. What do you all think?

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/...ion-fluid.html
Old 03-01-2012, 10:29 AM   #580
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by caitlynnanne9189
Well good news. Talked to the guy and am going there on Sunday to look at the rock and make sure it's good

I am also looking at refractometers. Carey told me to check out marine depot and I found this one.

http://www.marinedepot.com/Marine_De...TEOPRF-vi.html

But I think I like this one from BRS better. And it comes with the calibration fluid. What do you all think?

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/...ion-fluid.html
get the brs one. Calibration fluid is invaluable.

Tags
5 gallon, 75 gallon, build, reef, reef build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com