Caitlynn's 75 gallon reef build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
carey said:
I agree a 6 bulb fixture would be better but I think this is a build on a budget. :) lol

In a way yeah but I'd rather save up and get what's the best so my tank thrives. I plan on having it a while!

Well if youre ok with it then yeah, I would highly suggest a 6 bulb fixture for a 75g. They are about $300-$400 usually if you look hard enough. lol The 6 bulbs will give you much better coverage in that tank rather than 4 bulbs. You can also keep most anything you'd like as far as corals. :)

carey said:
Well if youre ok with it then yeah, I would highly suggest a 6 bulb fixture for a 75g. They are about $300-$400 usually if you look hard enough. lol The 6 bulbs will give you much better coverage in that tank rather than 4 bulbs. You can also keep most anything you'd like as far as corals. :)

That's want I want so I'll be ok saving to get a 6 bulb I found this on aqua cave.

http://www.aquacave.com/coralvue-6-...wer-1-watt-leds-brhanging-kit--legs-3030.html

How's the brand?

Thats a decent light. It has individual reflectors for each bulb which is what you want. It has no timer built in, have you looked at the aquaticlife one? it has a built in timer and moonlighting. They are a bit more money but I like them. :) lol

mr_X said:
I'm not a big fan of the built in timers. If they break, Your out of luck. Using standard timers from HD or Lowes, you can replace them and the fixture stays intact.
If you are on a budget, you can use a Hydroponics fixture.
here is a 6 lamp fixture for $190.00
Hydrofarm T5 Tube Designer Grow Light System with Bulb | Wayfair

So I can add my own timers? Is that hard to do? And does it take a lot of space. What do you think of the first fixture I found if I can add my own timers.

And the one you showed is hanging. Could I get a way to pit it on the side of the tank. I want it to be under the canopy and I can't hang it :/

you can hang it in the canopy. :)

I hate plug in timers, I have like 20 of the things and half are broken. LOL Good point about being SOL if they break never thought of that.

carey said:
you can hang it in the canopy. :)

I hate plug in timers, I have like 20 of the things and half are broken. LOL Good point about being SOL if they break never thought of that.

Ahhhh! Confusion! Lol so what do I do? Buy one with a timer or no? Buy a extra timer and some how attatch it to it? Sorry!

It's up to you. :) I prefer my timers built in but Mr X has a point, if it ever breaks you wont have any lights unless you can fix it. You are probably looking at 3 cords. One for the whites, one for blues and one for moonlighting. That would mean 3 timers from walmart or something form like $6 a piece. I just HATE cords, I'm way OCD about it. LOL I have everything in my house wireless so I don't have to deal.

If you bought the aquaticlife fixture for example I am sure it has some sort of warranty. Most name brand fixtures will. Aquatraders and their odyssea lights are probably not the best as far as warranty. PLUS the odyssea lights have external ballasts usually which I don't care for.

Alright! Maybe I'll make a thread and ask opinions just so I get a round about feeling. Have you ever had a timer go out?

moonlighting(which is completely unnecessary) can be ran around the clock, so that doesn't need a timer. if you want to turn on half of the lights in the morning and evening, and the rest of them as sort of a full daylight thing, which isn't going to effect the tank either way, you will need 2 timers. My lights are on 1 timer. they go on, and they go off, and no morning/evening transition or anything.
While i'm not a fan of odyssea products, I actually do like the external ballast feature. It keeps the ballasts cooler and also if they fail, you can replace them without opening up the fixture. It's not mandatory though, as most companies put their t5 ballasts inside the fixture.

mr_X said:
moonlighting(which is completely unnecessary) can be ran around the clock, so that doesn't need a timer. if you want to turn on half of the lights in the morning and evening, and the rest of them as sort of a full daylight thing, which isn't going to effect the tank either way, you will need 2 timers. My lights are on 1 timer. they go on, and they go off, and no morning/evening transition or anything.
While i'm not a fan of odyssea products, I actually do like the external ballast feature. It keeps the ballasts cooler and also if they fail, you can replace them without opening up the fixture. It's not mandatory though, as most companies put their t5 ballasts inside the fixture.

So technically I really only need one timer and this is just to make sure the lights are turned on an off correctly for the corals and a that.

Back
Top Bottom