Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-27-2012, 09:57 PM   #631
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh, exciting. Progress! For some reason this is one of the builds I'm most interested in. Don't ask me why.

scottayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:47 PM   #632
Aquarium Advice FINatic

it's most definitely exciting! I'm happy for progress!

Old 07-01-2012, 09:17 AM   #633
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well I have my sump tank a 20 gallon long! And I got a 10 gallon for the QT. I was gonna do a 15 but they didn't have one and this size actually fits pretty well in the space I have. I'm gonna get the aquarium safe silicone and the plexiglas and make a sketch of what I want it to look like I feel the progress!
Old 07-06-2012, 11:36 PM   #634
Aquarium Advice FINatic

So I need some help or some links to a good home made sumps. I found marine land aquarium silicone that I'm gonna buy and I found a 1/4 inch thick plexiglass that comes in 12x12 sheets. Is that what I want? And do I have to buy anything special to cut it? Thanks guys!!

Here's the plexi I found. Good or no?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004N1...=1C1HPEJJ3L1W1
Old 07-07-2012, 01:17 AM   #635
Aquarium Advice Addict

You should go to lowes or home depot and pick out some acrylic sheets there and have them cut it for you (it's free). A lot better than cutting it yourself. Just make sure you have the right measurements and make sure the guy knows it needs to be a precise cut (from experience, they like to "round" off).
Old 07-07-2012, 02:26 PM   #636
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok cool thanks! I'll go there then! Any insight on the layout?
Old 07-07-2012, 02:28 PM   #637
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok cool I'll have to do that! What about the layout. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 07-07-2012, 04:09 PM   #638
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think the "traditional" sump design is

1st chamber for water in, second chamber for refugium, third chamber for return pump. You can put filter sock and skimmer in the first chamber. macroalgae and live rock and/or deep sand bed in the fuge, and ATO in the third chamber. heaters can go in any.

Usually people incorporate a 3 baffle bubble trap between the second and third chambers. Water goes over the first, under the second, over the third.

So, excuse my drawing, lol

Pretend all baffles are of equal height, though they don't have to be. The height of the final baffle before the return pump chamber will determine the height of the water in your sump (important for your skimmer). You'll want to make it high enough for your skimmer to reach it's optimum level (your skimmer should say what this is). You can always raise the skimmer up on a stand if you need to but you'd have to make new baffles to make the water deeper. Evaporation will be noticeable only in the 3rd chamber. You also don't want to make your sump so full it can't handle the drain from the DT when the power goes off.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:14 PM   #639
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottayy
I think the "traditional" sump design is

1st chamber for water in, second chamber for refugium, third chamber for return pump. You can put filter sock and skimmer in the first chamber. macroalgae and live rock and/or deep sand bed in the fuge, and ATO in the third chamber. heaters can go in any.

Usually people incorporate a 3 baffle bubble trap between the second and third chambers. Water goes over the first, under the second, over the third.

So, excuse my drawing, lol

Pretend all baffles are of equal height, though they don't have to be. The height of the final baffle before the return pump chamber will determine the height of the water in your sump (important for your skimmer). You'll want to make it high enough for your skimmer to reach it's optimum level (your skimmer should say what this is). You can always raise the skimmer up on a stand if you need to but you'd have to make new baffles to make the water deeper. Evaporation will be noticeable only in the 3rd chamber. You also don't want to make your sump so full it can't handle the drain from the DT when the power goes off.
That sounds good. I'm going to look at my skinner paperwork at home. Does each chamber need to be equal in distance or does that just depend on slimmer and return pump size? I have a 20g tank for my sump about how many gallon should it hold for it to run correctly? My DT is a 75g just in case you didn't know
Old 07-07-2012, 07:23 PM   #640
Aquarium Advice Addict

Chamber size doesn't matter. Just make sure your skimmer and return pumps fit. Give a little extra room if you can. It's always a tight fit.

You will have water in the return pipes/hoses and what's left that drains from the overflow. You'll just have to test it out when it's running and find out your max fill line. That is a fun part

Tags
5 gallon, 75 gallon, build, reef, reef build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com