Caitlynn's 75 gallon reef build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry, the skimmer is crappy and the mag drive isnt that cheap. :-( I would keep looking. Youre on the right track though. If that mag drive was say $30 i would buy it. lol You will need a return pump for the sump so you'll need a pump at some point. Youre just looking in Miami right? I'll go take a peek and see if I cant find anything for you. :)

Found a skimmer

Protein Skimmer

I gotta say, the prices in south florida are crazy!!! Alot of those setups I saw you could get for half the price in my area of Florida!
The skimmer I linked is decent enough but I wouldnt pay $200 for it. It also looks clean so thats a plus. :)

carey said:
Found a skimmer

Protein Skimmer

I gotta say, the prices in south florida are crazy!!! Alot of those setups I saw you could get for half the price in my area of Florida!
The skimmer I linked is decent enough but I wouldnt pay $200 for it. It also looks clean so thats a plus. :)

I was also looking at treasure coast. The prices are higher, that's why when y'all kept dating you'll find lower I'm like I doubt it! I would actually like to have an all good equipment set up so I'll skip the decent one and I'll keep looking. I'm not in a hurry to buy junk. I'm also thinking of re staining my stand so I'm gonna go HD and see what they have for colors. I want to make it a dark cherry color.

Sounds good! Was the tank full or empty when you got it? You might want to do a water test on the tank to make sure it holds water if it was empty at purchase. Thats what I do with all the used tanks I buy, in the garage with water for at least a week. :)

carey said:
Sounds good! Was the tank full or empty when you got it? You might want to do a water test on the tank to make sure it holds water if it was empty at purchase. Thats what I do with all the used tanks I buy, in the garage with water for at least a week. :)

It was empty when I bought it but she said she had it running just dosnt fit in her new house. idk where I could do a water test cuz right now it's on carpet and my garage has my boyfriends motorcycle and dirtbike and all that in it and a bunch if stuff that can't get wet. What should I do?

Euro Reef skimmers were the top of the line a few years back. They were constructed very well compared to others, and the price reflected it.

mr_X said:
Euro Reef skimmers were the top of the line a few years back. They were constructed very well compared to others, and the price reflected it.

So should I look into getting that? Or keep looking?

I would still try to water test it in the garage. You can just bring the tank in there you dont need the whole canopy and stand. I may be a little paranoid but I always get kinda scared when getting a used tank. If you test it now at least if there is god forbid an issue it will leak on concrete and not the carpet. It won't come pouring out like a flood if theres a leak, you'll just have water, not a wave that can destroy the stuff in the garage. :) I just go by better safe than sorry.....LOL

I knew that skimmer was expensive, hehe, it just looks like it is. keeping in mind a new skimmer will run over $200 for a good one for your tank you have to determine if you want to buy now or just keep looking.

I might have missed it, but is the tank drilled that you got?
Thanks!

carey said:
I would still try to water test it in the garage. You can just bring the tank in there you dont need the whole canopy and stand. I may be a little paranoid but I always get kinda scared when getting a used tank. If you test it now at least if there is god forbid an issue it will leak on concrete and not the carpet. It won't come pouring out like a flood if theres a leak, you'll just have water, not a wave that can destroy the stuff in the garage. :) I just go by better safe than sorry.....LOL

I knew that skimmer was expensive, hehe, it just looks like it is. keeping in mind a new skimmer will run over $200 for a good one for your tank you have to determine if you want to buy now or just keep looking.

I might have missed it, but is the tank drilled that you got?
Thanks!

Lol it's ok! Yep it's fully drilled! Tank goodness! :D my only concern is that I don't have a way to prop it up without the stand:/ it's got the tube coming out the bottom that needs to be hanging off something. I'm more than willing to do what you guys say so water testing it is. I'm gonna try to move stuff in the garage for the room. Idk if there's room right now. And then I guess take the stand over there to try and get it set up then I'll have the boys move the tank. I'm trying to get the tank itself clean now. Thinking if making really got water and pouring it in the bottom and using that to clean off the side and then get the water out some how. Right now I have it sitting across my dining room table so the tube can hang down and I can still clean it. The stand needed cleaning so I asked the boys to move it. :D here's a picture if the tube. Maybe you can tell me if I can place it on something else to year the water cuz I want to start sanding the stand to get it stained ASAP :D

Attachments

• image-1812517013.jpg
    image-1812517013.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 54
  • image-3674800129.jpg
    image-3674800129.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 72
mr_X said:
I think it's old technology though. They used big pumps that weren't as efficient as the pumps we have today.
You can get a decent skimmer brand new for under 300. Maybe closer to 200.
This is the one I am using. Although it's more than you need, it works very well
Bubble Magus BM-180EX Protein Skimmer Brand New | eBay

Here is a good one-
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bubble-Magus-BM-180A-Protein-Skimmer-Brand-New-/110640230183?_trksid=p4340.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%252BC%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn%3D15%26pmod%3D110640229667%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D6072366275356712468

So the bottom one would be good for what I need and fit I side my sump? I'm doing the 20 long like you suggested just trying to find the tank. I've asked around. If that's the right thing then I know what to save up for next! :D

KAhner said:
Jeez. That was a little extreme. Following.

Yeah tell me about it. I was like really??

Any way. So I looked up the brute trash can. It's like a 70 trash can lol. I was not expecting that. It's I'm though. What do you think I should do.

1) get a brute and put it on my patio and fill it up with 5 gallon buckets as i make the water

OR

2) just make it when I need it 5 gallons at a time, still getting the float thing to make sure I don't over flow.

And what do you think of this RODI

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/75-gpd-ro-di-6-stage-chloramines-deluxe-system.html

It's $34 for a 32g at walmart.com. $11 for a lid. And you can buy wheels for them but I didn't see that on the walmart site. Maybe wheel it back and forth?

KAhner said:
It's $34 for a 32g at walmart.com. $11 for a lid. And you can buy wheels for them but I didn't see that on the walmart site. Maybe wheel it back and forth?

Unfortunately I have carpet and it won't reel and there's a big sliding door track id have to get it over before I could attempt to wheel it but I'll definitely lol for it from Walmart and then I'll check out a lid too. I wonder if my local Walmart will have one so I can avoid the shipping. I'll look to see :) thanks! What about the RODI did u check it out?

Yea I kinda figured that about the carpet and door. Walmart has free shipping to their stores, but you gotta pay tax. Which rodi were you looking at?

I paid $22 I think for lid and can at ace hardware. It's a 32g brute. :)

Since youre in an apt you might wanna think about a 20g or so. The biggest you can fit in the house. Whether it be a closet or alcove, theres gotta be somewhere you can fit a can.

As far as the ro/di you linked, well, if I had the money I would get it but the 5 stage deluxe should be fine. I am ordering one next week during the group buy at bulk reef supply, they will be $180 for that week for group buy members. I think they also discount some of their protein skimmers as well so if you have a bit of cash you might wanna check it out. :)

There's so much you have to get, lol, but you did get the biggest thing out of the way. haha... I would start getting the smaller things as well if you can, like a refractometer for salinity ($30 on ebay), water test kit (API liquid test is good), 2 powerheads, heater,lights, the SALT lol, stuff like that.

There are some really great deals to be had online if you just look real good. I shop alot at the following: Bulk Aquarium Supplies - Reef Aquarium Supplies | BulkReefSupply.com , Aquarium Pet Fish Supplies, Tank Accessories, Products & Equipment , Aquarium Fish: Tropical Freshwater Fish and Saltwater Fish for Home Aquariums , Aquarium Supplies, Reef Aquarium Supplies, Aquarium Products, Fish Tank Supplies, Freshwater Aquarium, Marine Aquarium , Pet Supplies | Dog Supplies | Fish Supplies | Bird Supplies | PetSolutions .

the above are all top of the line in my book and each retailer will have some of what you need cheaper than the others will. To save the most $$ I usually buy a few things from each one and it has worked out really well for me. I don't hesitate to recommend them. There are some other places I've ordered from but the livestock or dry goods just werent up to snuff. haha

Think I wrote enough? Sorry for the long post just got on a roll!

Back
Top Bottom