calcium and alkilinity test kits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

benni

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok here we go again I have a 28 gal. bow front that i am making a reef tank out of. I have it set up and I am almost at the end of my cycle. I was read that with all the coral I will need to be adding liquid calcium to my tank there were alot of warnings to keep this value between 400 to 450 ppm. thats all well and good but when i went into my local petco i couldn't find a test kit for calcium or alkilinity. So I talked to my mom and she said that she has to test her hot tub for calcium. Is this the same kind of test or does it read a diffrent chemical? and if it isn't whats the best place to get the test kits??

First, it depends on a few things as to whether or not you need to dose supplements to maintain your Ca and Alk. What types of corals, how heavy of a coral load, etc.

I'm surprised petco didn't have any test kits for Ca or Alk, they're pretty common in the hobby. There are plenty of places online you could get them, however.

I assume the tests she has for the hot tub are the strips, at least that's what I used to use. You'll be better off getting a real test kit.

Back
Top Bottom