Calcium and KH levels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dtorre125

Aquarium Advice Regular
So over the past couple weeks I've been testing my calcium and alkalinity using an API test lot. I was wondering if the numbers I'm getting are ok. I get a reading of 460ppm for calcium (roughly 23-24 drops) and a reading of 169ppm for KH (roughly 9 drops). My ph is on the low aside between 7.8-8.0. I eventually want to get corals but was wondering if I should straighten my levels out alittle more. Should I raise KH and ph in order to lower calcium slightly or are these numbers good?

Hi I would look at getting better brand off test kit before you go down the coral path. I would say calcium is high, alk ok but on the low range. Have you tested your mag levels.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Haven't tested for mag yet but I know it's all correlated and ya API isn't high end but hopefully it's not far off. From my understanding my reef crystals I use for salt mix will contain enough elements to replenish what I need for now with regular water changes. If I dose some brightwell part B would it lower my calcium and raise both ph and KH?

Haven't tested for mag yet but I know it's all correlated and ya API isn't high end but hopefully it's not far off. From my understanding my reef crystals I use for salt mix will contain enough elements to replenish what I need for now with regular water changes. If I dose some brightwell part B would it lower my calcium and raise both ph and KH?

Api good to start with but find other brands give better reading.whats your salinity at. Well I'm still learning about getting water stable so ain't a good help on dosing as only thing I'm dosing at min is alk and all the other levels are near where I want them.

Your levels are fine. I'd just keep doing what you're doing. Don't dose any part B. Your alk is 9 which is perfectly acceptable. Like stated the API kit gives you an estimate but is look into salifert, Elos or Red Sea for more accurate results :)

So over the past couple weeks I've been testing my calcium and alkalinity using an API test lot. I was wondering if the numbers I'm getting are ok. I get a reading of 460ppm for calcium (roughly 23-24 drops) and a reading of 169ppm for KH (roughly 9 drops). My ph is on the low aside between 7.8-8.0. I eventually want to get corals but was wondering if I should straighten my levels out alittle more. Should I raise KH and ph in order to lower calcium slightly or are these numbers good?

First off, the norm on this site for Alkalanity levels is dKH, rather than ppm. So your 9 dKH is OK. High Calcium wont cause any adverse effect on corals, so don't sweat that either. You pH is a bit low, but as long as its stable, you should be fine. That being said, dosing a bit of Alk+ won't hurt either. But the only way it lowers calcium levels is thru Calcium Carbonate precipitate, not really an advantage to intentionally do that.

Once you start adding corals, you'll likely find the levels starting to drop, and as the coral densities increase you MAY need to start dosing. Personally, I wouldn't really start dosing yet, based on your levels.

What levels do you aim for?

Calcium-400-450
Alk-8-10 dKh
Mag-1400-1500

Alright great looks like I'll just keep testing (maybe get a higher end kit haha) and doing my water changes. Thanks for all the help it is much appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Cheers. At min got my alk 9-10
Cal at about 380-400
Mag at 1300

Back
Top Bottom