Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-03-2004, 08:51 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Bang Guy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoreef
Here are the proper levels
At a SG of 1.027 your calcium should be 415
At a SG of 1.026 your calcium should be 400
At a SG of 1.025 your calcium should be 386
At a SG of 1.024 your calcium should be 367
At a Sg of 1.023 your calcium should be 357
Hogwash! The numbers you've specified are irrelevant.

Old 10-03-2004, 11:13 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hey this is my Thread!!

Just kidding

Old 10-03-2004, 11:15 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Sorry. I'll be glad to discredit the above numbers in another thread if anyone's interested.
Old 10-03-2004, 11:17 PM   #24
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
You don't even know what Acid_burns Salinity lavel is. He hasn't given you enough information to derive it.
Quote:
Somewhat, for instance...I run my tank at a SG of 1.024 and Ca. is between 450-480ppm
Perhaps you should read more...alot more.
Quote:
. Salinity of wild reefs never ever average lower than 35ppt
Florida reefs
Quote:
Studies show that the Florida reef tract area experiences oceanic salinities in the range of 33.1
http://www.saj.usace.army.mil/projects/appbmareco.htm
caribean
Quote:
Typical reef salinity in the Caribbean areas sampled for A. spicifera was 32 ppt
http://www.sms.si.edu/IRLSpec/Acanth_spicif.htm
Hawaii
Quote:
Over the period of study, the water salinities roughly 0.5 m above the bed at the site along the 10 m isobath ranged around 32.18
http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/2003/of03-482/of03-482.pdf
great barrier reef
Quote:
Coral reefs are limited to areas of reasonably normal marine salinity (3.3-3.6%). translated 33ppt to 35ppt
http://cima.uprm.edu/~morelock/physdet.htm
Is thier any other part of the world you would like me to cover for ya??

Hogwash! The numbers you've specified are irrelevant.
Quote:
Maybe I can redo it so you can get an idea
35ppt = 415 calcium if you reduce the over all salinity down by 1000 ppt and you are to keep the elements balanced that means you would have to reduce each by 3.5%, it continues downward for each ppt you drop. what dont you understand???

Mike

www.reeffrontiers.com
mojoreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 11:45 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice FINatic

He gave you a S.G. of 1.024. So how the hell would you know what the Salinity is without a temperature reference? Your calcium numbers listed above correspond to the salinity level of tap water (1.023 - 1.027) so I don't see how you can relate it to reef Salinity.

"35ppt = 415 calcium" no, it equals 35 parts per thousand dissolved solids, you just don't seem to understand the basiscs.

*edited
Old 10-03-2004, 11:59 PM   #26
AA Team Emeritus

LOL. You know exactly what I am talking about. if you want to hold on to the fact I posted salinity instead of SG by mistake on a post you go right ahead.
At a salinity 35ppt the calcium level of balanced SW is 415..

Mike

www.reeffrontiers.com
Old 10-04-2004, 12:00 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Here's the "real" average Salinity of the Florida Reefs.
Old 10-04-2004, 12:14 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Look, I appologize about the insult. I responded to your insult and you're right, it's beneath me.

My point was that you listed a chart of Specific Gravity about a parameter you claim to be balanced by Salinity without any reference to temperature.

I submit that ALL of the Specific Gravity measurements you listed can be obtained at a Salinity 35ppt.

So, how can the chart you listed be meaningful without a temperature reference? I'm not ignorant, your chart just doesn't make sense the way you listed it.

Guy
Old 10-04-2004, 12:31 AM   #29
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
My point was that you listed a chart of Specific Gravity about a parameter you claim to be balanced by Salinity without any reference to temperature
when people take a salinity measure or a sg measure they use a tool that is most likely temperature compensated. its a mute point.
Quote:
submit that ALL of the Specific Gravity measurements you listed can be obtained at a Salinity 35ppt.
Bang sure you can do that by raising and/or lowering temp, but that was not the jist of what I was laying out. I someone comes out here and say he has a salinity of X or a SG of Y. I am assuming he measured it with an instrument?? From refractometers to hydrometers they are temp compensated. So why all the smoke???
A person asked if his calcium level was correct. I do understand that you want to make sure it is in balance with alkalinity, but you need to have a base reference point to start with. Knowing the salinity gives you that base reference point. From thier you can know what the level should be at to start with. then from thier you can check it against alkalinity.

Mike

www.reeffrontiers.com
Old 10-04-2004, 12:51 AM   #30
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Mojo is right....

the correct Ca level is a function of salinity. Salinity, put VERY simply, is a measurement of the amount of certain minerals present in an H2O solution, the common measurement being in PPT.

Within this measurement, there are many different elements and compounds, all exisitng in a "balance" with one another. This balance is very similar throughout the ocean, reguardless of variences in salinity.

Most reefs average 35 ppt salintiy...but this varies from 33 to 37 ppt depending on the area, season, tides, ect. As salinity rises and falls, so do the levels of individual elements and compounds. But these elements and compounds still maintain a basic balance.

NSW has an average Ca level of around 380ppm.

Two reasons you see higher levels recommended. Increased coral growth and a Ca "buffer zone" to compensate for Ca depletion. There are however risks with running higher Ca....namely chemical imbalances in the tank. Any parameter that rises above the average has the potential to create an imbalance.

IMO you are better off trying to keep your levels balanced based on SG than trying to simply shoot for a specific number. Balance is the key....

MikeS

Tags
calcium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com