Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-04-2004, 08:22 AM   #31
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Bang Guy
I concede that Calcium should be balanced with Salinity, but not with S.G. I don't believe it's a mute point nor do I believe it's splitting hairs.

Just seems odd that when I tested water in the Carribean it could be so unbalanced.

Temp = 86.4
Salinity = 35ppt
Calcium = 420ppm
ALK = 2.8Meq/L (late afternoon)
Depth = 15m

The S.G. would be around 1.023 had I tested it according to the conversion chart I use. According to the above chart the Calcium level should have been 367. Granted it's not the most productive reef in the world but the descrepency seems significant.

Mike - What are the Florida reef parameters? You seem familiar with that area.

Old 10-04-2004, 10:17 AM   #32
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Mike - I edited out my rude comment to you, again, I appologize.

Guy

(note to Guy - Don't continue a debate after spending 6 hour shopping with the wife)

Old 10-04-2004, 12:13 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Newbie

At 35 ppt, SG should be around 1.026., Ca around 400ppm. Salinity can be determined by SG vs. temperature, depending of course at what temperature the device you are measuring SG with is calibrated.

MikeS
Old 10-04-2004, 12:20 PM   #34
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Mike - I edited out my rude comment to you, again, I appologize.
apology accepted and I have done the same.

Quote:
Just seems odd that when I tested water in the Carribean it could be so unbalanced
Again hobbists use one of the standard instruments to figure out salinity/sg. Refractometer/hydrometers are temperature compensated, so when someone tells me that they have a salinity of X I assume they used an instrument to measure it.
The reason used SG was that it relates directly to salinity if one of the tools above are used. In listening to the original question it did not seem to me that the person was a very advanced reefer or I would have approached it differently.
Running High calcium levels does not make corals grow faster. It makes them deposit calcium onto their skeleton more as a function of being able to multiple cells. allot of folks run high levels and see gains in the height of the corals, they assume that because other do it and tell them to do it that it is a good thing to promote faster growth. In reality they are stressing the corals, taking away from their overall energy budget and making them more susceptible to crash or rtn or bleaching. Once a person knows both sides of the story its up to them to do what they want to do. but they should always know the pros and cons.

MIke

www.reeffrontiers.com
mojoreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 01:27 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I was burned in the early 80's by the S.G. vs Salinity comparisons so I am admittedly hypersensitive to it.

I started in the late 70's with what would be an archaic reef tank by today's standards. Not enough light, salt mixes that varied batch by batch, but the point is I use a Glass hydrometer and a salinity chart for several years with great success. That's all I had available and I still have that same hydrometer and it's still as accurate as my refractometer but only after referencing the chart with the tank temp.

The neatest thing was invented, the swing-arm hydrometer. I had heard about them but didn't get my hands on one until sometime early 80's as I recall. I found it to be really easy to use. After slowly killing most of my inverts (the fish were fine) I realized that the swing arm couldn't make the same measurement from one day to the next and was about as useful as testing the water with my finger. I just went back to the glass hydrometer and it wasn't until last year that I finally broke my glass beaker (to hold the water for the hydrometer) and bought a refractometer. WOW, what a great feeling to join the 21st century

Aquarium Pharmaceuticals claimed the swing-arm I purchased was auto temperature adjusting. I found that not to be true.

Have improvements been made to the swing-arm hydrometers?

My thrust here is that I believe hobbiests should be concerned about not using S.G. and Salinity interchangeably. Especially the newer hobbiests. I defer to your coral knowledge and how important salinity maintenance is for them. My specialty is tropical bugs, the ones that keep our marine microcosms functioning properly. In my world discussing Salinity solely in terms of water density doesn't cut it and is a good way to damage the critter populations of a successful reef.

I just used a real ****-head way of trying to get my point across at first.

Tags
calcium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com