Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-20-2011, 02:29 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Calcium level off the charts...Is that ok?

Did my weekly in depth tests and came back with 500+ calcium. I even did it twice to be sure.

is this normal or too high? I use regular I/O reef crystals and put in purple up maybe once a week.

My magnesium is at 1350 and my KH is at 8. It's slowly been dropping over the last few weeks.

any ideas guys? I'm more of a hardware type of gal so the results are making me worry a bit.

And is there any way to up my KH without dosing a 2 part? I have quite a bit of corals, probably over 20 and some are SPS. I didnt have this issue before I swapped to the 125g, in the 55g the levels were more normal. But I also wasnt using the reef crystals in that tank, only I/O reg salt.

thanks for any guidance guys, always appreciated...

Old 07-20-2011, 04:11 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hey Carey
Have you tried this product? Works well for me.

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.co...45&pcatid=4145

Old 07-20-2011, 05:08 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I haven't jumped into the dosing pool just yet. LOL

But I may have to consider it, I'm also planning on adding alot more coral to the tank but I want to get this issue squared away before doing so.

Looks like that product will take care of the KH but I think a 2 part system is what I may need. The calcium is outta whack and my ph has been low too due to bad inhouse air circulation. :-(
Old 07-20-2011, 06:01 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I think it is the purple up. If I'm correct isn't its main ingredient calcium? I'm thinking maybe it has just built up in your tank along with the water changes. I know reef crystals has more calcium in it then io salt. I could be wrong but that's my thought. I would stop putting in the purple up for a few weeks and do a waterchange and see if things go down. If your ph gets to low you could always aim a Powerhead at the surface for a few days to get more gas exchange and flow. More air in the water = higher ph
Old 07-21-2011, 11:24 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I did the water test for co2 by running my water with an airpump inside and outdoors. Apparently its not a water circulation issue with my ph, as the outdoor water sample rose in ph while the one indoors stayed the same. I have 2 1400gph powerheads at the surface plus my return pump puts out another 1200gph or so, I'm guessing it can't be fixed unless I get more airflow through my house or I dose something to correct it. :-(

My concern with a 2 part does is that it contains calcium so it will raise my KH but also my calcium level which doesnt need it. lol

Where does that put me then?
Old 07-21-2011, 12:16 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Your adding calcium with purple up. I dont think it has a buffer in it. Which is why your kh is off. Stop dosing purple up. It is more of a gimmick anyway. Do some pwc and then test calcium. If you dont have a ton of sps pulling calcium out of the water, kh and calcium should stabilize. Whats in tank? You shouldn't have to do a 2 part dose.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:29 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I generally dose the purple up when I adjust my powerheads not for the coralline I have plenty. Lol
I have several sps corals and pretty much one of everything lol. The alk has been steadily dropping over the last few months since I upgraded to the 125.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:49 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hey carey ther iss this stuff that I just recently started to use. It prety much keeps most of my levels where I want it its called kalk + 2 by brightwell aquatics it also provides alk and helps maintain ph. Check it out and let me know what you think
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20110721_114854.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	44662  
Old 07-21-2011, 02:55 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey
Did my weekly in depth tests and came back with 500+ calcium. I even did it twice to be sure.

is this normal or too high? I use regular I/O reef crystals and put in purple up maybe once a week.

My magnesium is at 1350 and my KH is at 8. It's slowly been dropping over the last few weeks.

any ideas guys? I'm more of a hardware type of gal so the results are making me worry a bit.

And is there any way to up my KH without dosing a 2 part? I have quite a bit of corals, probably over 20 and some are SPS. I didnt have this issue before I swapped to the 125g, in the 55g the levels were more normal. But I also wasnt using the reef crystals in that tank, only I/O reg salt.

thanks for any guidance guys, always appreciated...
That level won't hurt,you will probably start seeing more little stars and baby snails.Stop the purple up.Keep check on your calcium and alk levels and the ph will take care of itself.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:40 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Hey carey, in terms of potential ph drops, couldn't you just run a bubble wand for a few hours every day?? I'd think that would raise your ph

huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calcium, level

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com