Calcium level off the charts...Is that ok?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carey

Aquarium Advice Addict
Did my weekly in depth tests and came back with 500+ calcium. I even did it twice to be sure.

is this normal or too high? I use regular I/O reef crystals and put in purple up maybe once a week.

My magnesium is at 1350 and my KH is at 8. It's slowly been dropping over the last few weeks.

any ideas guys? I'm more of a hardware type of gal so the results are making me worry a bit.

And is there any way to up my KH without dosing a 2 part? I have quite a bit of corals, probably over 20 and some are SPS. I didnt have this issue before I swapped to the 125g, in the 55g the levels were more normal. But I also wasnt using the reef crystals in that tank, only I/O reg salt.

thanks for any guidance guys, always appreciated...

I haven't jumped into the dosing pool just yet. LOL

But I may have to consider it, I'm also planning on adding alot more coral to the tank but I want to get this issue squared away before doing so.

Looks like that product will take care of the KH but I think a 2 part system is what I may need. The calcium is outta whack and my ph has been low too due to bad inhouse air circulation. :-(

I think it is the purple up. If I'm correct isn't its main ingredient calcium? I'm thinking maybe it has just built up in your tank along with the water changes. I know reef crystals has more calcium in it then io salt. I could be wrong but that's my thought. I would stop putting in the purple up for a few weeks and do a waterchange and see if things go down. If your ph gets to low you could always aim a Powerhead at the surface for a few days to get more gas exchange and flow. More air in the water = higher ph

I did the water test for co2 by running my water with an airpump inside and outdoors. Apparently its not a water circulation issue with my ph, as the outdoor water sample rose in ph while the one indoors stayed the same. I have 2 1400gph powerheads at the surface plus my return pump puts out another 1200gph or so, I'm guessing it can't be fixed unless I get more airflow through my house or I dose something to correct it. :-(

My concern with a 2 part does is that it contains calcium so it will raise my KH but also my calcium level which doesnt need it. lol

Where does that put me then?

Your adding calcium with purple up. I dont think it has a buffer in it. Which is why your kh is off. Stop dosing purple up. It is more of a gimmick anyway. Do some pwc and then test calcium. If you dont have a ton of sps pulling calcium out of the water, kh and calcium should stabilize. Whats in tank? You shouldn't have to do a 2 part dose.

I generally dose the purple up when I adjust my powerheads not for the coralline I have plenty. Lol
I have several sps corals and pretty much one of everything lol. The alk has been steadily dropping over the last few months since I upgraded to the 125.

Hey carey ther iss this stuff that I just recently started to use. It prety much keeps most of my levels where I want it its called kalk + 2 by brightwell aquatics it also provides alk and helps maintain ph. Check it out and let me know what you think

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110721_114854.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110721_114854.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 130
carey said:
Did my weekly in depth tests and came back with 500+ calcium. I even did it twice to be sure.

is this normal or too high? I use regular I/O reef crystals and put in purple up maybe once a week.

My magnesium is at 1350 and my KH is at 8. It's slowly been dropping over the last few weeks.

any ideas guys? I'm more of a hardware type of gal so the results are making me worry a bit.

And is there any way to up my KH without dosing a 2 part? I have quite a bit of corals, probably over 20 and some are SPS. I didnt have this issue before I swapped to the 125g, in the 55g the levels were more normal. But I also wasnt using the reef crystals in that tank, only I/O reg salt.

thanks for any guidance guys, always appreciated...

That level won't hurt,you will probably start seeing more little stars and baby snails.Stop the purple up.Keep check on your calcium and alk levels and the ph will take care of itself.

Hey carey, in terms of potential ph drops, couldn't you just run a bubble wand for a few hours every day?? I'd think that would raise your ph

remember I did those mr science experiments with the water and bubble wands? The aeration isnt the issue, it co2 exchange in my house. lol Every tank is now at the same 7.8 ish, even my fw tanks. I have over 3800gph directed at the surface for agitation and still it dropped.

I bought some Kent superbuffer dkh today, I'm gonna try to adjust it that way and see what happens. Gotta go slow though so not sure when I'll know if it works or not. I've been looking at dosing pumps as well if it comes to that. I think I may go back to my old salt, I always had around 450ppm with the regular I/O. The trouble seems to have started when I switched to the reef crystals.

Yeah I remembered that after I posted it...duhhh! Guess I shoulda thought of that first. I use regular I/O salt ad haven't had a single issues yet

I just got my 200g box of reef salt recently, so when I finish that up in a month or two I will switch back. Unless i can use the buffer. I'm gonna go mix that stuff up now. :) It says alkalinity should rise in about an hour and pH can take a day or two to show a testable rise.

Is that superbuffer like that kalk stuff cuz I jave just recently started useing that stuff so let me know how ot goes im in the same boat as you carey

Not sure if its the same ingredients, I think kalkwasser is a straight mix of a chemical while the one I just used contains the following: carbonate, bicarbonate and borate salts.

I'm gonna test the KH in a few, it says to give it an hour or so after testing.

The ph has gone up to 8.3 and the KH has gone up to 9.6. :) So yeah, it works but we'll see how long it lasts. if its a once a week type of thing it won't be so bad I guess.

I simply would just let PWC`s do the job. Stop adding the purple up and your calcium should return to normal. No supplements for me.

Back
Top Bottom