Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-07-2008, 04:22 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pat8you
Calcium/magnesium

So i was looking at some guys massive frag tank yesterday (probably 5' x 10') and i was asking him how his calcium reactor worked. He explained and said that he also put in some mg media in there so it keeps both ca and mg levels up. My question is can you overdose a tank on either of those? Or does the reactor just keep the water at saturation level?

Pat

Old 06-07-2008, 09:44 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

you can overdose it takes time to set one up but the reactor does not raise the level. just keeps them the same as what the were before the reactore was set up so the dontdrop. the more co2 you put into the reactore the faster your media melts and the higher you leves will be coming out of you reactor.

125ga. FW w/60ga. sump. VERY aggresive fish
tamra&steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 06:29 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

so you can change how much ca/mg is in the water by the amount of co2 flow?
Old 06-08-2008, 10:04 AM   #4
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
I never heard of anyone adding mag to a ca reactor. Aragonite is the ca reactor media, which needs the low pH provided by the co2 to begin to disslove. Aragonite does have some mag in it, but I don't think enough to keep the mag levels where they should be (around 1400ppm). Mag dissolves in regular tank water. I would think it would be gone almost instantly from the ca reactor, while a reactor full a media can take a year to dissolve.

The amount of co2 injected controls how fast the ca dissolves. IMO, it makes no sense to add mag to a ca reactor.
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 10:45 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

I agree with CCCAPT. Mg in form of Epsom salt a/o magnesium chloride will dissolve in the water. I have no idea how you would control the amount. Dosing MG is done much less than Ca and should be about 3x the Ca level to be balanced.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 07:27 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

We are thinking about investing in one, what would be a good purchase for about 110-120 gallons water volume? Are there any specific brands that are better then others?
Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 07:32 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I probably misunderstood him about the mg.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:27 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Until you have a major demand for CA in your system adding a reactor is not that important. When you have a fully established reef with large colonies of SPS and LPS and the added frags in your frag tank then I would look into a CA reactor. Right now doing a 2 part system would take care of your CA demands. You guys have seen the pics of my tank and the large colonies I have in my tank and I have a 55g frag tank packed to the gills with SPS. I don't have a reactor on my system I just dose a 2 part system to keep my CA up. Also by doing PWCs every other week that helps keep things balanced.

Make sure you have ALK, CA and MG test kits to keep an eye on those levels. All three will play a major role in your SPS coral growth.
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 11:33 AM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Ziggy has way more coral than I do and doesn't need a reactor yet. I also use the 2 part but only occasionly need to dose my tank (1x/month), and that's probably because my sw mix isn't up to par for Ca and Alk.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 11:02 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

my reactor keeps up with my mg levels. that and pwc. a good brand is a korallin ca reactor, they are expensive. the one i have can work up to a 300ga tank. the more Co2 you pump into the reactor that faster you melt your media, and that means higher levels of ca, the water coming out of the reactor has a very low PH, and has to be dripped into the tank

125ga. FW w/60ga. sump. VERY aggresive fish
tamra&steven is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calcium, magnesium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com