Calcium Reactor? Why?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tank2379

Aquarium Advice Addict
Why are Calcium Reactors needed for a reef aquarium? I am trying to understand the concept just wondering if I can get some more input on it. I know it helps with Coraline algae and snail shell growth, but am I missing something? Let me know..

It's more than just coraline and snails. SPS and other corals feed heavily on it. If you have an SPS dominated tank, it's possible that they're depleting the calcium faster than your weekly water changes is replenishing it.

Ah. I c yes. Now I know when I start getting SPS corals maybe sometime during the Summer Time. Calcium reactor with be on my list. Do you know if they make a HOB reactor?

A calcium reactor is only needed for HIGH calcium/alk demand SPS systems. And it's not just a reactor that's needed. You also need a co2 bottle w/regulator, bubble counter and pH controller/monitor. It's not a cheap or simple setup.
If you get to the point where partial water changes don't keep your levels up, you can just dose a 2-part solution. I dose 2-part every day.

Wow! OK. maybe i will not load up with SPS corals but who knows knowing me i'll go all out for it.....

One other thing I would add to the list that ccCapt mentioned is computer control. When you start messing with c02 and CA you really need to be able to monitor your pH 24/7 and have function to stop dosing if need be. A CA reactor is not something to just add on a whim it is one of those additions that require several other components to function properly.

With that said I will soon be adding one to my system. I have mostly SPS corals in my tank as well as a frag tank packed full of SPS. I can't keep up with the demand and dosing is becoming expensive.

Yeah I understand. I won't be putting to much SPS corals in my tank I would say one or 2 most likely one since I would not be able to monitor PH 24/7. I would mostly do LPS and Mushroom corals.

LPS coral will require CA levels to be maintained as well. A 2 part dosing system like ccCapt suggested should be fine for you. I'm looking at adding a reactor because of the high CA demand I have from all my SPS corals.

Just want to reiterate what folks have already said... by no means is a calcium reactor required for a healthy reef tank. Even if it's SPS dominated, it's still not a requirement. It's really more of a personal choice of convenience and cost. When you add a Ca reactor and add the necessary equipment, you also increase your chances of something really bad happening. If you can at all avoid it, I would.

I agree with Kurt. I have never had one. I am able to keep good calcium levels by merely doing PWC`s. It is not as Kurt said a necessary piece of equipment for a reef tank.

I can't keep up with the demand and dosing is becoming expensive.
Ziggy, are you buying premade 2-part like B-Ionic? I make all my own. A 50 lb bag of calcium chloride cost me $13 and will last a few years. A 12 lb bag of Arm&Hammer baking soda cost about $6 at Sams Club and will last over a year. I ordered a 7 lb bucket of magnesium from BRS about a year ago and still have over 1/2 of it left. I estimate making my own 2-part cost about $1/month.

Ziggy, are you buying premade 2-part like B-Ionic? I make all my own. A 50 lb bag of calcium chloride cost me $13 and will last a few years. A 12 lb bag of Arm&Hammer baking soda cost about $6 at Sams Club and will last over a year. I ordered a 7 lb bucket of magnesium from BRS about a year ago and still have over 1/2 of it left. I estimate making my own 2-part cost about $1/month.

I didn't know you could do this. I would be worried about making sure the mixture was correct. I'd like to hear more about how you do this though. I'm all for saving money on the reef!

Back
Top Bottom